Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival with all the goodies!

ngodwetrust21

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, bigtimelarry said:

There is for sure a Pin.  I usually put the frame on a roll of Duct Tape and tap it out, then their is nothing holding the backstrap on so you just pull it out with a tiny screwdriver, sometimes it just comes out easy, but there definintly needs to be a roll pin in there to hold it on. 

I tried it and worked out. Had to take a hammer and beat the pin out. Took just as much effort to put back in. The LOK backstrap is awesome and adds a good amount of weight

I also decided to jump into CO while I wait on my Open gun to be completed. Went with the blacked out Rival. Installed the W74 Tungsten guide rod, 14lb commander length spring, 29 newton striker spring, Sprinco Trigger spring/CCW reduced power Plunger spring. TF brass back strap/base pads, and grams small frame CZ follower kits for 23+1. Topped it off with a Romeo3XL and some Silcon carbide that’s probably a little to aggressive. 

Trigger pull is sitting at a 2lb 5oz average. Probably will eventually put the FS in it because the take up to the wall is still a little longer than I like but once at the wall and through the break it feels great.  Got the rinky dink holster it comes with mounted on a T-1000 hanger while I wait on my holster from legacy to come in.  Really enjoying it so far. D6FA4509-8D28-4E15-99CA-1805FA72D11F.thumb.jpeg.16c6ac5582b167945463033e7f442318.jpeg

34AAF78C-FDE0-442F-B4C8-A8E1DC183574.png.a9b6aac8a4390cbbc6dc28613f5f5091.png

9 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

I also decided to jump into CO while I wait on my Open gun to be completed. Went with the blacked out Rival. Installed the W74 Tungsten guide rod, 14lb commander length spring, 29 newton striker spring, Sprinco Trigger spring/CCW reduced power Plunger spring. TF brass back strap/base pads, and grams small frame CZ follower kits for 23+1. Topped it off with a Romeo3XL and some Silcon carbide that’s probably a little to aggressive. 

Trigger pull is sitting at a 2lb 5oz average. Probably will eventually put the FS in it because the take up to the wall is still a little longer than I like but once at the wall and through the break it feels great.  Got the rinky dink holster it comes with mounted on a T-1000 hanger while I wait on my holster from legacy to come in.  Really enjoying it so far.

Love it!!!

11 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

Trigger pull is sitting at a 2lb 5oz average. Probably will eventually put the FS in it because the take up to the wall is still a little longer than I like but once at the wall and through the break it feels great.  Got the rinky dink holster it comes with mounted on a T-1000 hanger while I wait on my holster from legacy to come in.  Really enjoying it so far. D6FA4509-8D28-4E15-99CA-1805FA72D11F.thumb.jpeg.16c6ac5582b167945463033e7f442318.jpeg

What plate did you use to mount the 3XL, a Canik plate or aftermarket?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, pcar157 said:

What plate did you use to mount the 3XL, a Canik plate or aftermarket?

Thanks!

Using a Canik plate  for the moment but will most likely order the FTP Alpha plate if I decide to invest any time into CO.  I don’t like the fact that the Canik plate doesn’t have recoil bosses. Seems to be doing fine for now tho. 

can anyone tell my why the holster for the rival is absolute s#!t! I still use my elite SC one daily and if I'm carying my og sfx I use that one too (not for competition). Its Spring co,FS, AND TF upgraded but my rival I think I'm just going to stick to the 2 rear springs and maybe a TF CHAMPION. other than that I think I'll just cerakote it and leave it stock. (New here and can't figure out how to post pics that are too large)

16 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

9 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

Using a Canik plate  for the moment but will most likely order the FTP Alpha plate if I decide to invest any time into CO.  I don’t like the fact that the Canik plate doesn’t have recoil bosses. Seems to be doing fine for now tho. 

Thanks. Am currently using a Vortex Venom on my Rival w/ the "01" plate. This plate has 4 bosses. Will have to check the other plates that came with the gun for the "bosses".

3 hours ago, pcar157 said:

Thanks. Am currently using a Vortex Venom on my Rival w/ the "01" plate. This plate has 4 bosses. Will have to check the other plates that came with the gun for the "bosses".

The R06 plate(biggest) for Romeo3, CMore RTS2, FTPalpha doesn’t have any. 

7 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

The R06 plate(biggest) for Romeo3, CMore RTS2, FTPalpha doesn’t have any. 

Thanks for the info. Do you know if a Romeo 1 PRO will fit on the R06 plate? 

I was not aware the Canik plates would work with any Sig Romeo.

2 hours ago, pcar157 said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know if a Romeo 1 PRO will fit on the R06 plate? 

I was not aware the Canik plates would work with any Sig Romeo.

don’t quote me on this but I believe the Romeo 1 pro uses the DPP footprint which would fit plate R04. 

23 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

don’t quote me on this but I believe the Romeo 1 pro uses the DPP footprint which would fit plate R04. 

Thanks for that info. I will have to check it out. I knew that the Romeo1 was compatible with the DPP but wasn't sure about the 1 PRO.

24 minutes ago, pcar157 said:

Thanks for that info. I will have to check it out. I knew that the Romeo1 was compatible with the DPP but wasn't sure about the 1 PRO.

As a follow up, I have a Romeo 1 PRO and compared it to the 04 plate. They do have the same footprint however the plate "bosses" do not line up. The plate has four bosses and the 1 PRO only has holes for two; and the size of the "bosses" on the plate are larger than the holes on the optic.

Of course the "bosses" could be ground off however I do like the idea of at least two bosses. 

R 04 plate.jpg

Just installed Freedomworks Pro in Rival....no issues. Works as advertised, little takeup, crisp, short reset.

Added tungsten guide rod, cut 16lb 1911 spring to commander length, for now. Runs smooth, no battering. Wish is was captured.

Adder TF brass backstrap, mag extensions (Aluminum), will try brass for weight.

6lb glock strike spring.

Grip tape on the way.

Trying to get used to carry optics.

Edited by Mike Morcillo

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, ULshooter2491 said:

TF brass back strap/base pads, and grams small frame CZ follower kits for 23+1.

I was wondering about the follower kits. I added some Henning base plates and can only fit 21 rounds in, and that's super tight. I didn't see a Grams kit for just the Rival, and I wasn't sure if one of their kits for another mag would work. But you're saying the Grams kit for the CZ's work just fine in the Rival mags with baseplates? I don't want to order 4 of them only to find out they aren't compatible, you know?

Also, has anyone else had issues with light primer strikes? If so, did you find a way to make the gun less sensitive to them? I'm pretty sure the cause is the occasional slightly high primers, but those happen sometimes. I try to catch them all when I'm checking my ammo (none of them are egregiously high, those are easy to spot), but I'm loading for my wife and I for 1-2 local matches per week, on top of practice ammo. I don't have the time to look over every single round in painstaking detail. My P320 X5 Legion has no problem setting off the rounds with a slightly high primer, but my wife's Rival is super sensitive to even the tiniest bit of elevation on a primer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, Mancolt said:

I was wondering about the follower kits. I added some Henning base plates and can only fit 21 rounds in, and that's super tight. I didn't see a Grams kit for just the Rival, and I wasn't sure if one of their kits for another mag would work. But you're saying the Grams kit for the CZ's work just fine in the Rival mags with baseplates? I don't want to order 4 of them only to find out they aren't compatible, you know?

Also, has anyone else had issues with light primer strikes? If so, did you find a way to make the gun less sensitive to them? I'm pretty sure the cause is the occasional slightly high primers, but those happen sometimes. I try to catch them all when I'm checking my ammo (none of them are egregiously high, those are easy to spot), but I'm loading for my wife and I for 1-2 local matches per week, on top of practice ammo. I don't have the time to look over every single round in painstaking detail. My P320 X5 Legion has no problem setting off the rounds with a slightly high primer, but my wife's Rival is super sensitive to even the tiniest bit of elevation on a primer.

You need a +4 baseplate and you need to add the shadow 2 spring and follower kit from grams engineering. Their part number is FKCMG-11. That will get you to 23+1. You may or may not have to clip off one of the coils off the spring to get it to run reliably.

As far as the light strikes, I don’t know why you are having an issue if you are running factory springs in it. I run a reduced power Sprinco striker spring in it and the gun has literally never had a light strike. Try seating the primer a bit deeper and see if that fixes it???

Edited by ngodwetrust21

After further evaluation, I think it was the cartridge OAL causing the vast majority of issues. Plink test revealed that the same ammo that runs just fine in my x5 legion, glocks, pdp, etc, do not run in the Rival. I had an OAL of 1.13" and need to be around 1.09" with these bullets. Haven't had nearly the number of light strikes after loading the rounds shorter.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up two samples to try out.  Canik nailed the value and trigger on this gun.  Very impressed.  

Ran a few hundred rounds of Magtech 115gr FMJ, CCI Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ, Winchester M1152 115gr FMJ without issues through both guns.

When I went to one of my carry loads... Federal 124gr +P HST JHP my guns started having issues.  They went into battery very sluggish for the last 0.25" of travel.  Striker released but no strike mark on rounds.  Rounds did fire without issue when rechambered to test.  Not sure if the JHP profile is hanging up going into battery or what (I am using factory recoil springs and the guns are both on the new side right now).

Anyone have experiences with other bullet profiles besides FMJ (I did see the issues with 150gr Syntech which I had laying around as well and didn't take to range to test because of the other reports lol)?