Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival with all the goodies!

ngodwetrust21

On 10/1/2022 at 11:44 PM, valhalla1775 said:

What is your opinion in getting a tungsten rod instead of the SS ? just started following you on IG MarJSan is my IG handle. 

I find if I use a stainless steel guide rod instead of the tungsten and I put the brass backstrap on the Canik, the gun more or less balances perfectly. My worry would be the tungsten guide rod would make the gun a little nose heavy and I personally don’t care for that. If that doesn’t bother you or you prefer a nose heavy gun, you may prefer the tungsten over the stainless steel. It really comes down to personal preference. Adding weight for the sake of adding weight just because you can isn’t always better. Hope that helps!

Edited by ngodwetrust21

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

I find if I use a stainless steel guide rod instead of the tungsten and I put the brass backstrap on the Canik, the gun more or less balances perfectly. My worry would be the tungsten guide rod would make the gun a little nose heavy and I personally don’t care for that. If that doesn’t bother you or you prefer a nose heavy gun, you may prefer the tungsten over the stainless steel. It really comes down to personal preference. Adding weight for the sake of adding weight just because you can isn’t always better. Hope that helps!

that makes a lot of sense , thank you very much . I see the wolf spring part number , the ss rod is for the same Glock 34 ? 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:06 AM, bigtimelarry said:

I use my Glock 34 holster. Canik Rival fits right in.

Just got a rival last night and it fits in my old DAA PDR M&P pro 5 inch holster quite nice. That holster fits the M&P, CZ shadow 2, CZ p10f comp ready and now the rival it’s the best unintentional universal holster ever. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:18 AM, love2fishnshoot said:

What holster is everyone using for the rival? I don’t like the factory one 

^^^

32 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Just got a rival last night and it fits in my old DAA PDR M&P pro 5 inch holster quite nice. That holster fits the M&P, CZ shadow 2, CZ p10f comp ready and now the rival it’s the best unintentional universal holster ever. 

^^^

Perfect.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 7:13 PM, ngodwetrust21 said:

This is the one! It comes with a SS guide rod and 15 lb spring.

I already have a few guide rods from other guns I think should work. If ordering the commader spring I keep seeing them specified as .45 is that the one you used or is there a 9mm I need to track down?

1 hour ago, TheChef1 said:

I already have a few guide rods from other guns I think should work. If ordering the commader spring I keep seeing them specified as .45 is that the one you used or is there a 9mm I need to track down?

You got me there. I use a 15 lb Glock spring and guide rod. Don’t know what to recommend as far as the commander springs go.

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

You got me there. I use a 15 lb Glock spring and guide rod. Don’t know what to recommend as far as the commander springs go.

ok thanks ill go glock then. I saw other people were using commander 1911 springs. I think I actually have some glock springs in the garage so thats even better. 

1 hour ago, Mike Morcillo said:

If you go to tungsten guide rod, Commander springs at the ticket.

Why Is that? Also do you need 9mm commander springs or 45 or are they the same? I have a tungsten guide rod from an M&P pro that fits in perfect. I also have springs from my P10f and M&P pro that seem to fit and functon ok but ill have to get them to the range to see. 

2 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Why Is that? Also do you need 9mm commander springs or 45 or are they the same? I have a tungsten guide rod from an M&P pro that fits in perfect. I also have springs from my P10f and M&P pro that seem to fit and functon ok but ill have to get them to the range to see. 

If you use the Tungsten guide Rod the Wolff part# for a 14lb spring is 42214

If you use a Glock 34 Guide Rod the Wolff part# for a 14lb spring is 43714

I have both setups. 

1 hour ago, Mike Morcillo said:

The tungsten guide rod has a greater diameter than the stock guide rod.

The M&P one I have is not much fatter than a normal SS one. Normal size springs fit on it ok. I’ll give it a run before I buy anything else. I’ll report back so other people don’t have to test themselves. I’ve used that M&P guide rod in my CZ P09 without issue as well. 

13 minutes ago, JTex99 said:

If you use the Tungsten guide Rod the Wolff part# for a 14lb spring is 42214

If you use a Glock 34 Guide Rod the Wolff part# for a 14lb spring is 43714

I have both setups. 

Surprised that 14 lb is working for you. 14 lb for me didn’t seem to keep the gun in battery with enough force and I was having malfunctions. 15 lb was the lowest I felt comfortable with and have not had a problem since.

7 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Surprised that 14 lb is working for you. 14 lb for me didn’t seem to keep the gun in battery with enough force and I was having malfunctions. 15 lb was the lowest I felt comfortable with and have not had a problem since.

It worked for me. I like better and currently run the W74 guide rod with the 14lb Commander and the TF Brass Backstrap. Glock striker and safety spring..  I'm blown away how good this Rival is.. 

Anyone else have any light strikes with their Rival? My wife has 2 Rivals, and I have 2 P320 Legions. My guns almost never light strike, and on the same reloads, she'll have 20 or so to my 1. I get probably 1 per 500 to 1k rounds. She's getting 2 to 4 per 100 rounds. 

2 hours ago, Raz22582 said:

Any difference in the setup? As far as shooting and feel?

To me the gun feels perfectly balanced when i put the Brass backstrap and the Tungsten guide rod. 

The Backstrap and Tunsten with springs and shipping it's close to 200 bucks. 

The Glock Guide Rod and a 14lb & 15lb spring is like 35 bucks. 

So you might want to start out with the Glock setup and see if you like it. 

Forgot my ammo at home today and had to buy some over priced Romanian ammo at the range. First stage I had no light strikes at all but only ran one mag of my ammo in already had loaded (freedom munitions reman 124)

second stage I had one light strike the first round and the rest was fine. Realized later I had topped that mag off with one round of the range stuff.
3rd stage could barely finish. All ammo from the range and it was a nightmare. Was worse than a single shot. After that I switch to my shadow 2 and only had one light strike on the next two stages. 

so I guess this thing doesn’t like hard primers with the 29 newton striker spring and springco trigger return spring. Definitely some potential with this gun though but I’m bummed I had a pretty bad match. I don’t blame the gun fully even though my shadow 2 did ok with the s#!t ammo.