Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival with all the goodies!

ngodwetrust21

I have two Rivals. The 06 plate is supposed to mount a Romeo 3 Max. Not working for me -- issues with optic screws (manual says to use Canik screws for optic to plate) and two R3 Max optics don't have enough windage adjustment to zero on two Rivals. Got the plate from FTP (another thread in this sub forum) and R3 Max mounts and zeroes. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, GJM said:

I have two Rivals. The 06 plate is supposed to mount a Romeo 3 Max. Not working for me -- issues with optic screws (manual says to use Canik screws for optic to plate) and two R3 Max optics don't have enough windage adjustment to zero on two Rivals. Got the plate from FTP (another thread in this sub forum) and R3 Max mounts and zeroes. 

Well… I do not have a R3 Max. I have the SRO. I can tell you I most certainly did not use the screws that came with the Rival to mount the SRO to the optics plate. It must be a typo in their manual. Use the screws that came with your Canik to mount the optics plate to the gun and use whatever screws the manufacturer sent with the optic to mount the optic to the plate. I would see if that fixes you your problem.

Edited by ngodwetrust21

4 hours ago, GJM said:

This guy seems to think his works just fine on the Rival…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTm0xe_j8_-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Are all Glock 34 guide rods the same diameter?

I tried a captured guide rod from a g34 and the fit is real loose.  Gun functions, but don’t like how loose and un-centered the rod comes out the front of the slide.

2240C46A-3606-47AE-A08E-7062B2662099.jpeg

I tried Federal 150 Syntech today to see how it grouped and felt. Started by loading 22 rounds of it into a MecGar with a Taylor Freelance 140 extension. The Syntech didn't want to chamber. 

3 hours ago, GJM said:

I tried Federal 150 Syntech today to see how it grouped and felt. Started by loading 22 rounds of it into a MecGar with a Taylor Freelance 140 extension. The Syntech didn't want to chamber. 

Same here with me. Flat points get hung up on the ramp. I polished mine and still had problems with Syntech 150. 

19 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

AB0574E4-2A46-482D-BC5A-1E5F4F80A436.thumb.jpeg.223f452ac7a084fcbf43f490f22f61fc.jpegCE48A2A1-0C51-402F-B641-C3815821AA7E.thumb.jpeg.9bb5a8e0260444e326ab13df04811fb5.jpeg

You got me. I am not using a captured one. No experience with the captured one. 

Could you take a photo of the g34 guide rod side by side with the original?  Also and end photo to compare diameters?

23 hours ago, TitoR said:

I tried fixing it, but still not sure I like how loose it sits in the gun.

316994C4-5180-4259-8EC4-A18B157A8706.jpeg

64EEA723-9683-486C-ACA1-ACA04C1872F6.jpeg

82D9BCBE-3691-4118-A84B-5B8C90FCFDBD.jpeg

1B1CE738-D5AF-40AA-B37A-F8876B55F6ED.jpeg

6478019B-EF87-41FC-AEC9-B5AF1C933B03.jpeg

99AAB524-62E1-426D-A6A3-6567CE240A62.jpeg

C6A9ABEF-A202-4462-A51C-3DD60B8D330E.jpeg

You should probably run it Uncaptured. Take the cap off, toss it in the trash and let the spring float. Run a Wolff Commander 14lb or 15lb spring.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, GJM said:

Just wanted to show you mine with XL. I believe MAX and the XL have same footprint.

I used the two screws that came with the optic and zeroed without an issue. 

I am not too fond that the plate does not have those little ears to hold the optic in place but once its on, its on. (with blue Loctite)

Hope you can mount yours!!

No description available.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:05 AM, ChrisNov500 said:

Just wanted to show you mine with XL. I believe MAX and the XL have same footprint.

I used the two screws that came with the optic and zeroed without an issue. 

I am not too fond that the plate does not have those little ears to hold the optic in place but once its on, its on. (with blue Loctite)

Hope you can mount yours!!

No description available.

I am using the FTP plate and it has the little bosses. Working great.

I ran into an issue with the Rival today.

Thinking of shooting Production with it some, I decided to practice slide lock reloads. No surprise, the mags with extensions and Grams followers don't lock back. When I used the OEM mags, followers and bade pads, the slide locks back. However, when you insert a loaded mag, and hit the slide stop nothing happens, the slide stays locked back? Confirmed with multiple mags.

Update. When I use the OEM base pads (black plastic MecGar) the problems goes away. I believe the Taylor Freelance and aluminum OEM that come with the Rival are allowing over insertion, and causing the issue. You can simulate this with dummy rounds by gently pushing up on the TF and OEM aluminum basepads, as you try to do a slide lock reload.

Edited by GJM
Spell better

8 hours ago, GJM said:

I am using the FTP plate and it has the little bosses. Working great.

I ran into an issue with the Rival today.

Thinking of shooting Production with it some, I decided to practice slide lock reloads. No surprise, the mags with extensions and Grams followers don't lock back. When I used the OEM mags, followers and bade pads, the slide locks back. However, when you insert a loaded mag, and hit the slide stop nothing happens, the slide stays locked back? Confirmed with multiple mags.

I also have same set up as you as far as the mag goes. TF(old style) brass extension pad + Grams follower spring kit. I can lock the slide back before inserting the mag and after inserting the mag. Also I can release the slide using the slide stop while mag is inserted. I never thought that would be a problem.

I am not using the magwell though...

You can get a Tungsten guide rod for the Rival. I *think* it is a little heavier than stainless.

https://w74guiderods.com/shop/

My Rival, with TF brass back strap, W74 tungsten guide rod (and 14# Commander recoil spring), TF +4 brass base pads, Holosun 407CO, and Talon granulate grips weighs 36.90 ounces (with empty mag).

It is 31.63 ounces with no mag.

The TF back strap grip feel is nice, but I like it much better with the Talon granulate over it.

I have a FS trigger to go in, but haven't yet. Still playing with recoil, trigger return, plunger, and striker springs. Right now, sitting at 3# 7oz pull weight, but still have the stock striker spring in. Waiting on options for that to arrive. Hoping to get down to 2.5 - 3# on the trigger pull.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered a LOK brass backstrap, tti Glock guide rod and 13 lb spring  and trigger/firing pin spring. Freedom smith trigger is next. I went to try and play with the back straps earlier to try different grip angles. I couldn’t get the installed backstrap off. I used the punch the canik came with but couldn’t get the pin out (wondering if there is even a pin because I can see directly through the hole where pin should be but can’t slide the backstrap off). Any ideas on what to do? 

Edited by love2fishnshoot

On 5/21/2022 at 8:25 PM, love2fishnshoot said:

Just ordered a LOK brass backstrap, tti Glock guide rod and 13 lb spring  and trigger/firing pin spring. Freedom smith trigger is next. I went to try and play with the back straps earlier to try different grip angles. I couldn’t get the installed backstrap off. I used the punch the canik came with but couldn’t get the pin out (wondering if there is even a pin because I can see directly through the hole where pin should be but can’t slide the backstrap off). Any ideas on what to do? 

There is for sure a Pin.  I usually put the frame on a roll of Duct Tape and tap it out, then their is nothing holding the backstrap on so you just pull it out with a tiny screwdriver, sometimes it just comes out easy, but there definintly needs to be a roll pin in there to hold it on.