Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival with all the goodies!

ngodwetrust21

13 hours ago, Kyrie said:

I have a Canik SFx Rival Darkside that I bought about three months ago now. The trigger pull is great, and the reset is “off the hook!”

The dam thing is very accurate, and totally reliable. That said; why are y’all futzing abround with the springs and guide rods. I’m only asking due to the number of posts advising of malfunctions, and noting that “I guess I’ll put the stock XX springs back in” and see how it goes… REALLY?

I had a new holster made for it by Panther Concealment. The holster that came in the package seemed to lock up occasionally during the draw stroke.

Anyway; I took my brand new Rival to the range to shoot in the first IDPA match that I’ve shot in over three years. I came in at second place overall.

It’s still bone stock…

There are a number of reasons you would want to change out the guide rod and other springs in the gun. I have not had any malfunctions by doing what I have outlined in this post. Gun runs 100% of the time and I prefer it the way I have it set up to stock (lighter trigger pull, less pretravel, and less force from the slide coming back forward because of the lighter recoil spring). To your point, there is nothing wrong with running the gun stock. It is very capable in its stock configuration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot the gun stock yesterday putting 200 rounds down range.  Initially had a few fail to feed issues but it all went away quickly.  It shoots flat but I didn't like the muzzle dip at times.

Today, all I did was change the recoil assembly and shoot. W74/15lbs spring and stock FP. My TP9 SFX is set up the same way with the W74/12lbs spring and stock FP. My SFX has the FS Zombie Pro shoe too. Both guns are shooting the same ammo which is Freedom 147g HP and NC Shooters 125g RN Blue. PF is 128 and 133. Next will be a benchrest test to determine which is primary ammo for matches.
The original 10 pull average on the stock Rival S trigger was 3.2 and it's good for me. The 125g Blue had the best grouping freestyle at 30' with .75-1 second splits to feel the gun and monitor the muzzle dip. I think this is where I'm going to shoot the gun for a while before thinking about other spring changes.  Pic of the 125g Blue at 30' going slow as described.

125g NC Shooters 10 rounds.GIF

Edited by WxGuy

10 hours ago, WxGuy said:

I shot the gun stock yesterday putting 200 rounds down range.  Initially had a few fail to feed issues but it all went away quickly.  It shoots flat but I didn't like the muzzle dip at times.

Today, all I did was change the recoil assembly and shoot. W74/15lbs spring and stock FP. My SFX is set up the same way with the W74/12lbs spring and stock FP. My SFX has the FS Zombie Pro shoe too. Both guns are shooting the same ammo which is Freedom 147g HP and NC Shooters 125g RN Blue. PF is 128 and 133. Next will be a benchrest test to determine which is primary ammo for matches.
The original 10 pull average on the stock Rival S trigger was 3.2 and it's good for me. The 125g Blue had the best grouping freestyle at 30' with .75-1 second splits to feel the gun and monitor the muzzle dip. I think this is where I'm going to shoot the gun for a while before thinking about other spring changes.  Pic of the 125g Blue at 30' going slow as described.

125g NC Shooters 10 rounds.GIF

The NC Blue 125gr. he loads them short so they work. His Blue 147gr do not work in the Rivals, they are too long...  He uses VV N320 and his ammo does shoot nice. 

older shooter here. i bought myself a rival an for the most part love it however.... i'm shocked by the muzzle flip this thing has. it has a lot more flip than my lil p365. anyone else notice this? is it me? i do have a very weak left hand from R/A. that doesn't seem to effect my other handguns. i expected with a 5" barrel there to be less flip. what say ya'll?

On 2/18/2023 at 12:32 PM, Trader1954 said:

older shooter here. i bought myself a rival an for the most part love it however.... i'm shocked by the muzzle flip this thing has. it has a lot more flip than my lil p365. anyone else notice this? is it me? i do have a very weak left hand from R/A. that doesn't seem to effect my other handguns. i expected with a 5" barrel there to be less flip. what say ya'll?

Maybe you’re grip needs adjustment? It doesn’t make sense that the recoil would be less with your Sig. Tungsten guide rod is an option. 

On 2/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, Trader1954 said:

What ammo are you shooting? Most of the 115 factory stuff chrono’s at ~140PF in my gun. 

Edited by HCH

because my left hand is twisted from R/A, hold issue is always possible. but i wonder if the small size of the p365, makes it more controllable. the rival is a full sized frame. don't know, just disappointed in the flip from such a great gun. i'm sure some how it's me, just don't know how to fix it.

2 hours ago, GigG said:

Screenshot2023-03-03at3_55_23PM.png.b886ff32ec65144f629487542ee4b3e6.png

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpVYIAujtrz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

They say it is CO and Production approved.  I don't think it should be.

And why is that? It is a replacement locking block pin. It is legal for the same reason the thumb rest for the takedown lever is legal for the sig P320.

2 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

And why is that? It is a replacement locking block pin. It is legal for the same reason the thumb rest for the takedown lever is legal for the sig P320.

Is it? It looks like it replaces the little grip area on the frame.

3 minutes ago, lroy said:

Is it? It looks like it replaces the little grip area on the frame.

No. It is a locking block pin. Just happens to have a part that fits into that square recess on the frame. 21.6 clearly says you can replace aftermarket pins. This is a locking block pin replacement.

C1F35A84-A01D-43C3-BB02-495107D3A474.thumb.jpeg.27d021f27da67691bf4980972dd3b95b.jpeg

14 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

Forward Index Attachment Left

Forward Index Attachment Screw

It does secure a barrel recoil buffer in the frame.

image.png.216539848ea2ad581bed1b3c4b4ccefb.png

I am not sure why you are using images from the Rival-S. This is specifically for the polymer framed rival. There is no index attachment or screw on the polymer rival.

Also you said earlier and edited that this was a locking lever pin and it is not. This is a locking block pin. Notice how the locking block assembly sold on the Canik website comes with the locking block and the pin that goes with it. It is a “locking block pin.”

E1F952F0-3BAF-477A-8082-213BE0237E17.thumb.png.f74c3b68f8d1562e8e42767518b03622.png

3 hours ago, WxGuy said:

I like it!!!

Now it's going to make every holster maker go crazy!

Have they partnered with a holster company??

He will send them out to the holster companies before he releases them. All the big name holster company should be ready to go by the time everyone gets their hands on them. I just took the redhill tactical holster I had and used a dremel on it until it fit. Works like a charm now.

37 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

My apologies, I just noticed that in the pic of the barrel.  Very, very cool concept.  I hope they put one together for the S.  

He is. Current one doesn’t fit the Rival-S. He will fix it and release one for the Rival-S as well. The distance between the locking block pin and the square on the frame is a little different between the two guns.

Edited by ngodwetrust21