Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Carry Optics Question about D/A Trigger Pull??

rbx

1 hour ago, rbx said:

I think a total of 4 months from the time you contact them until completion is a little (HaHa) long!  I sent my Ruger for a trigger job to Volquartson and there was no initial wait and they returned it in a week or so.

That makes no sense.

CGW is CGW and Volquartsen is Volquartsen.  You have no idea of how backlogged each one is, what their labor situation is, what their supply chain situation is, or any other number of factors.

Either send it to them and wait or move on to someone else, but don't criticize them because their wait time isn't to your liking.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:29 AM, rbx said:

I am wondering if I should send it to Cajun Gun works for their Pro Trigger job, it's $400+.  I am not mechanically inclined so.....But that seems expensive?

I'm not very handy but I've upgraded a few of my CZs with CGW pro kits and other goodies as well as polished them. It's really not difficult and it's actually fun. It's also far less expensive than having CGW or CZC do the work. Faster too. There are tons of very good YouTube videos out there as well as written tutorials here and on the original CZ forums. I originally had CGW do 2 CZs then decided to try my luck doing it myself. Frankly I did a better job and even went back and repolished the guns CGW did for me. It's also a great way to learn the internals of the gun. I've gotten to the point where completely stripping both manual safety and decocker CZs is 2nd nature and it allows me to easily try different springs and other bits and pieces to dial in how I want the gun. Knowing your way around the guts of a CZ just opens so many fun possibilities. If I can do it (and enjoy it) anyone can 😉 In fact I'm currently working on a very well used TSO I just bought. Completely stripping it, cleaning it, replacing springs, inspecting everything. Knowlwdge is power so they say.

PS: I'd definitely consider a reach reduction kit if I were you. I'm a relatively new S2 OR owner and installing that kit is on my to do list. Other than that, maybe a lighter mainspring (#13.5) and extended firing pin with spring.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Seakphotog

Seakphotog......

I wish I felt confident enough to attempt it myself.  But after 63 yrs of hanging out, I know myself and in the long run, the money will be well spent with very little aggravation.  And I am in no rush as I am still enjoying using my recent purchase of a LeadStar Prime PCC.  So much fun!

1 hour ago, rbx said:

Seakphotog......

I wish I felt confident enough to attempt it myself.  But after 63 yrs of hanging out, I know myself and in the long run, the money will be well spent with very little aggravation.  And I am in no rush as I am still enjoying using my recent purchase of a LeadStar Prime PCC.  So much fun!

Oh, you'll love the work CGW or CZC does, that's for sure!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 2:29 PM, rbx said:

I am wondering if I should send it to Cajun Gun works for their Pro Trigger job, it's $400+.  I am not mechanically inclined so.....But that seems expensive?

I’m sure they do a really nice job and I think that includes a new hammer and sear. 

if your willing to skip the new hammer and sear, you can clean it up yourself for about $50. 

I put in the CGW extended FP, related spring, 11.5# CGW hammer spring, and lighter CGW TRS. Then I lightly polished the contacts areas. If you’ve dry fired or shot your gun a few hundred rounds, you’ll see the contact areas that need attention. About 20 minutes work. 

I’m about as dumb as it gets and I was able to do this and achieve a reliable action. Trigger is still long but very smooth.  DA is 5# 8oz average and SA is 1# 15 oz average. Seems to have no trouble with a variety of primer types. 

i am moderately handy, and i have installed cgw kits in my old 75 Bs, and those guns really benefited. i've just been shooting my shadow 2 tho, with nothing but lighter springs and i see no reason to spend a buncha money to make it only very slightly better. its damn good out of the box.

19 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i am moderately handy, and i have installed cgw kits in my old 75 Bs, and those guns really benefited. i've just been shooting my shadow 2 tho, with nothing but lighter springs and i see no reason to spend a buncha money to make it only very slightly better. its damn good out of the box.

I agree. It's really nice out of the box. It's the first CZ I don't feel compelled to rip apart and painstakingly polish. The action is nice and smooth to begin with. I was gonna install a reach reduction kit but after installing a lighter TRS and #11.5 mainspring/extended firing pin with lighter spring I think I'm good.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, Chompion said:

I sent mine and they did a great job. (2.25 lb SA and 4.8lb DA) Deciding factor was i wanted to get rid of the terrible urban Grey finish and slide milled for optics. Figured since it's already there, might as well get the trigger job.

One thing to factor into the cost is it must be shipped there and back to a FFL, which can add some money as well

You can legally ship to CGW yourself and have it shipped back to your home when done. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, Chompion said:

I sent mine and they did a great job. (2.25 lb SA and 4.8lb DA) Deciding factor was i wanted to get rid of the terrible urban Grey finish and slide milled for optics. Figured since it's already there, might as well get the trigger job.

One thing to factor into the cost is it must be shipped there and back to a FFL, which can add some money as well

You can legally ship to CGW yourself and have it shipped back to your home when done. 

I have 3 Shadow 2's and did the same upgrade to all three just by switching parts, no polishing or other gunsmithing.  All are 2# single action and just under 5# double action and smooth.  I put in a CGW reduced power trigger spring and solid trigger pin, extended firing pin, and 8.5# hammer spring.  If you don't feel confident with the 8.5# hammer spring, a 10# spring adds about 1.0# to the double action and 1 oz. to the single action.  I haven't had any issues with the 8.5# spring.  Buy both and test them.  By the way, the solid trigger pin made a difference in weight and smoothness; don't neglect it.

• 8 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 12:03 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

That should not be necessary at all if you take even minimal effort to learn a DA trigger

I wouldn't call it necessary, but I think it's faster as long as it doesn't alter my stage plan/ starting position. just like I wouldn't plan on shooting at a hostage target with the DA pull

8 minutes ago, bravofox said:

I wouldn't call it necessary, but I think it's faster as long as it doesn't alter my stage plan/ starting position. just like I wouldn't plan on shooting at a hostage target with the DA pull

Shooting the closest target first, to get rid of the DA pull, isn't even close to always being faster.  More often than not, leaving the close easy target for last means you can leave while still shooting instead of posting up for some farther shots.   If shooting a far head box with the DA pull makes it easier for me to leave sooner, that's what I'll do without hesitation.

Having the skill and confidence to make any shot under tight constraints regardless of trigger weight means more options and higher hit factors.

I like it when my competition self handicaps

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo