Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Carry Optics Question about D/A Trigger Pull??

rbx

I am thinking now about getting a Shadow 2 for USPSA Carry Optics, but I hate double actions!!

Can the double action trigger pull be reduced by any significant amount????

Yes. Quite a bit. You’ll start to sacrifice reliability if you drop the da pull too far though. Both mine are around the 5 lb mark and a lot smoother than a typical striker 5 lbs just longer

it’s typically one pull. You learn to work with it. 

Edited by Nathanb

3 hours ago, rbx said:

Hey Nathanb,

Did you do the work yourself or send it out to do the trigger job and if so, where did you send it?

Thanks,

Roy

I did it myself. Cajun gun works and cz customs are your two big companies for sending it out really. But it’s not hard. Especially if you’re just dropping in their parts.  You want really smooth you’ll polish stuff too

I dropped a 10# mainspring in my otherwise stock backup S2, and brought my DA pull to 5#, and SA to 2.5#. It’s setting off old Wolf pistol primers reliably. It doesn’t have the reach reduction or short reset of my main gun, but it’s fine as a backup. 
I also added the Cajun long firing pin. 

Edited by OPENB

I have been running a CGW 11.5# hammer spring. And it was doing fine with factory ammo. Once I started loading my own rounds, I would have some issues with CCI primers not lighting off in DA. I adjusted the primer depth and added a Patriot Defense 12# hammer spring and no more issues.

I would say if you are running factory ammo, drop in a 11.5#. But if you plan to reload the 12# is the way to go. There is a very slight difference that is not noticeable after a couple dryfire sessions, but a improvement over the DA factory pull. 

Also, you can get a reach reduction kit to assist with the distance your trigger finger will be pulling. 

I have had the same doubt before I bought my Shadow 2, I thought I was just good in single action triggers (2011) only. After installing the CGW springs and to make the story short, I can live with double action trigger now. DA is at 5# (smooth) and a little over 2# in single action. You will love it!

I am wondering if I should send it to Cajun Gun works for their Pro Trigger job, it's $400+.  I am not mechanically inclined so.....But that seems expensive?

I have two guns with cajun trigger jobs (SP-01 and P01).  both are very good.  I sent the one to cajun after having purchased it as a custom from czcustom (P01).  my wife has a cz custom trigger (shadow 1 target).  it is a huge improvement over factory and shoots very well.  it still runs the czcustom springs because my wife doesn't want me to tinker.  the best cz trigger I have was done by Matt Mink when he ran automatic accuracy (shadow 1).  the mink gun with an 8# cajun spring gets run with federal primers either SP or SPM whichever I can get.  I've also tested it with a newer batch of cci and it worked with those as well.  The DA is 4.25-4.5# and the single is under 2#.  Since automatic accuracy changed a few years ago, I've sent my cz work to cajun.  

1 hour ago, rbx said:

I am wondering if I should send it to Cajun Gun works for their Pro Trigger job, it's $400+.  I am not mechanically inclined so.....But that seems expensive?

Good, fast, cheap

Pick two.....

More hand strength is free.  Just takes time.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

4 hours ago, rbx said:

I sent mine and they did a great job. (2.25 lb SA and 4.8lb DA) Deciding factor was i wanted to get rid of the terrible urban Grey finish and slide milled for optics. Figured since it's already there, might as well get the trigger job.

One thing to factor into the cost is it must be shipped there and back to a FFL, which can add some money as well

1 hour ago, Chompion said:

One thing to factor into the cost is it must be shipped there and back to a FFL, which can add some money as well

If what you mean is that one must take the handgun to an FFL for shipment to a gunsmith, and then receive it back via an FFL, that's incorrect.

Federal law allows anyone to directly ship, via common carrier (UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, etc) a personally-owned handgun to a gunsmith for repair, modification, or alteration.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier: A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.  A "licensee" in ATF speak means someone who is in possession of a Federal Firearms License. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-licensed-gunsmith-have-conduct-nics-background-check-returning-repaired-or:

Q: Does a licensed gunsmith have to conduct a NICS background check before returning repaired or customized firearms?

A: No, if the firearm is being returned to the person from whom it was received.

I contacted Cajun Gun works regarding them installing the Pro Package and they told me I am on a waiting list of 6-8 weeks AND then 8 weeks in the shop....Unreal!

I am picking up my new Shadow 2 Optic Ready later today...Woo Hoo!

Been shooting a 1911 .45 for 10 yrs, this is going to be different.

Carry Optics here I come with My SRO!

15 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

If what you mean is that one must take the handgun to an FFL for shipment to a gunsmith, and then receive it back via an FFL, that's incorrect.

Federal law allows anyone to directly ship, via common carrier (UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, etc) a personally-owned handgun to a gunsmith for repair, modification, or alteration.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier: A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.  A "licensee" in ATF speak means someone who is in possession of a Federal Firearms License. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-licensed-gunsmith-have-conduct-nics-background-check-returning-repaired-or:

Q: Does a licensed gunsmith have to conduct a NICS background check before returning repaired or customized firearms?

A: No, if the firearm is being returned to the person from whom it was received.

You are correct. However cgw requires the gun be shipped from a FFL and sends it back. New policy they implemented as i didnt have to do that previously. Although not charged for background check, many FFLs will charge you for the 2 day shipping, which wasnt cheap

I am picking up my new Shadow 2 Optic Ready later today...Woo Hoo!

Been shooting a 1911 .45 for 10 yrs, this is going to be different.

Carry Optics here I come with My SRO!

When I went from Glock to a CZ Shadow and now an S2 I was worried about the double action as well. 
In reality you really only shoot DA a very small percentage of shots. 
Obviously the first shot of a stage but any stage you start unloaded you’ll be skipping the DA. 
It’s not anything to lose sleep over. 
You can do trigger jobs but really just changing the main spring and the trigger return spring will make a big difference. 

3 hours ago, Chompion said:

You are correct. However cgw requires the gun be shipped from a FFL and sends it back. New policy they implemented as i didnt have to do that previously. Although not charged for background check, many FFLs will charge you for the 2 day shipping, which wasnt cheap

Interesting.  Their website FAQs only talk about drop shipments which isn't what we're talking about here.  They must not have that new policy on their webpage.  Either way, that's a no go for me.

BTW, the handgun shipping and mailing requirements are often misunderstood.

Federal law prohibits non-licensees from using the mail to send handguns, but allows them to use common carriers to ship handguns.  The tariff used by those shippers (ground/air/overnight/etc) is not dictated by law.  It's the shipper's internal policy.

Licensees (FFLs) CAN mail handguns and registered mail is not only more secure than anything Fedex/UPS can offer, but also cheaper than the Next Day Air tariff that UPS and Fedex force you to use.  If you have to use an FFL to send a handgun because the receiver won't accept it directly from you, it's worth asking the FFL if they don't mind mailing it via registered mail.

Non-licensees have always been able to use the mail to ship long guns.

I think a total of 4 months from the time you contact them until completion is a little (HaHa) long!  I sent my Ruger for a trigger job to Volquartson and there was no initial wait and they returned it in a week or so.