Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many revolver shooter's in Steel Challenge

old558

Trying to figure out how many revolver shooters in steel challenge? I shoot OSR and would like to know how many of us there are. How many GM's, M, A shooters etc.  Would just like to see who I am shooting against. At the local level I am about the only one shooting revolver. On the bright side when people ask me how I did, I can say I won, ha ha.

3 hours ago, old558 said:

Trying to figure out how many revolver shooters in steel challenge? I shoot OSR and would like to know how many of us there are. How many GM's, M, A shooters etc.  Would just like to see who I am shooting against. At the local level I am about the only one shooting revolver. On the bright side when people ask me how I did, I can say I won, ha ha.

I'll post the numbers I have for ISR and OSR tomorrow. They will be current as of Wednesday of this week. 

17 hours ago, old558 said:

Well, one way to look at it is this:

If you make M in ISR right now with a 85% classification score, you'll have the 20th highest classification among ALL shooters who are classified in ISR. 

If you make GM at 95%, you'll be tied for 7th.

...in other words, there aren't many GMs and Ms, and of those, many apparently aren't shooting it any more.  (Of the 26 GMs and Ms in ISR, 9 of them have classification percentages that have dropped down under their classification level.)

For OSR, making 85% M gets you 30th overall in the division, and making GM gets you 10th place.

https://scsa.org/top20

I'll be interested to see the overall numbers that Zach posts---I'm curious how many people shot ISR and OSR in the last year.  Especially at major matches.

Total 2021 Numbers (Entries) from BOD presentation Jan 15 by Jake: 

USPSA
All - 205,598
Revolver - 2,674 (1.3%)

SCSA
All - 75,170
ISR - 1,085 (1.4%)
OSR - 919 (1.2%)

This is number of times someone shot a match in the division vs total entries into matches. 

Edited by Darqusoull13
​​​​​​​Edited for clarification. 

3 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Wait?  There are two hundred five thousand and some change USPSA members?

Edited for clarity, that's total number of entries. If you go into the BOD minutes you can see the membership numbers: 

•Membership – 34,832

•New Members  YTD – 6,511

Although the "New" is somewhat interesting as total membership 2020 to 2021 went 34,875 to 34,832.

I now longer shoot centerfire so my number doesn't count but I still enjoy shooting my 617 at Steel Challenge matches.  There's just something about shooting a revolver.  My scores are better than when I shoot my Black Mamba.

I'd like to see rimfire revolver recognized but if it isn't I'll still shoot mine for the pure fun and I'll lend it to anyone at the match to try and perhaps convince them to go to the wheel gun.

Got a new 929 and gearing up for more Steel Challenge comps, this year.   The ol 625 really gives me a handicap, only get to miss once, or it's a lengthy reload!

Made a nice optic mount for it, and testing out some moonclip holders I 3d printed.

27 minutes ago, Lesliet said:

Got a new 929 and gearing up for more Steel Challenge comps, this year.   The ol 625 really gives me a handicap, only get to miss once, or it's a lengthy reload!

Made a nice optic mount for it, and testing out some moonclip holders I 3d printed.

It doesn't exist without pictures.

Good luck with it.  Actually my fastest times were with my 625.  I knew I couldn't miss.  With the 929 I would shoot too fast for my capability.

10 hours ago, AzShooter said:

It doesn't exist without pictures.

Good luck with it.  Actually my fastest times were with my 625.  I knew I couldn't miss.  With the 929 I would shoot too fast for my capability.

Were you running a 4" or 5" ? 

On 2/27/2022 at 11:04 PM, AzShooter said:

It was a 5 inch.  I wish I still had it.  Charlie Prest did all the work on it.

I have been trying to figure out a load for SC / ICORE using a 45 so far the best I have come up with is a 185 going 800'. Really would like to see it closer to 700' but cant seem to get a group going that low. 

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

I have been trying to figure out a load for SC / ICORE using a 45 so far the best I have come up with is a 185 going 800'. Really would like to see it closer to 700' but cant seem to get a group going that low. 

Hey Squirrel,

there are some 165 and even 155 grn 45 heads out there.

As you've found, getting too slow causes other problems, I chased that for way too long and now use a bit higher pf/velocity.

https://slipperybullets.com/product/45-155-swc-ht/

On 2/21/2022 at 11:28 PM, 4paws said:

Does anyone know if rimfire revolver is still under consideration for the 2022 season ?

We just submitted the proposal to our Area 7 Dir. Lee Cabana and he plans to get it on the schedule with the rules committee,

Let your area director know you would like to see the addition.

2 minutes ago, 10mmdave said:

We just submitted the proposal to our Area 7 Dir. Lee Cabana and he plans to get it on the schedule with the rules committee,

Let your area director know you would like to see the addition.

Dave, you have an idea when they would make ruling on this? 

Thanks 

Squirrel 

2 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Well, my load was simple.  3 grans of Bullseye.  It was so light you could watch the bullets travel to the target.  On 5 - to - Go I'd hit the stop plate before the bullet had time to reach plate 4.  Now there are a lot lighter bullets available and better powders.  I'd look at VhitaVouri for a good powder.  If I remember correctly 310 works for the .45.

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

Hi Dave, 

I actually have some of those 155 SWC's from Bear Creek, just not sure how they would work on a reload 

hope to see you at a SC soon! 

Squirrel 

I can tell you from experience that the last thing you want to hear at a Steel Challenge match is "Great Reload!" 😁