Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Norma brass, who's the imbecile...

ysrracer

All their brass that I’ve had has small flash holes, even std rifle brass. Quick zip with a uniformer and it’s fixed.  Good long lasting brass other than that. 

Edited by Farmer

I thought that I had a maladjusted die decapping issue after my decapping pin stuck... twice! You'd have thought I would have figured it out after the first time.

My RCBS decapping pin is apparently just slightly larger than the Norma flash hole.

I've never sorted my 9mm range brass by headstamp... I do now <sigh>.

a little tid bit of help . This is one of multiple reasons I finally broke down and started Processing 9mm brass. the universal decapping dies will knock out the old primers. At that same time it will swage the hole a little. Then when you load the pin in your sizing die will not stick. I know this works using a mighty decapping die. and then a Dillon or Redding sizing die.

1 minute ago, lll Otto lll said:

They're not worth messing with so they go in the dumpster. 

^ For now this is me ^

I don't have a universal decapper (probably should consider it) and the overwhelming majority of the 9mm I run through my old 550 are simply practice rounds.

Out of the last 3000 or so pieces of brass I've sorted recently there was less than 100 pieces of Norma.

But since I use range pickup brass and Norma seems to selling a lot to folks these past few months I guess I can anticipate that number to increase.

I've been fortunate the past few decades to not have to sort my 9mm brass...or maybe lucky... <sigh>   :)

While processing range brass, I'm using the FW Arms decapping die.  I've broken countless Lee and Lyman pins before switching.  I haven't broken a single FW pin yet.  All the Norma brass get a little extra nudge on the press, and it'll decap and swage out that flash hole a little bit.  Afterwards they load and shoot fine.

13 minutes ago, thor447 said:

While processing range brass, I'm using the FW Arms decapping die.  I've broken countless Lee and Lyman pins before switching.  I haven't broken a single FW pin yet.  All the Norma brass get a little extra nudge on the press, and it'll decap and swage out that flash hole a little bit.  Afterwards they load and shoot fine.

5 minutes ago, BKUSPSA said:

FW Arms decapper has been punching them out just fine

That is what I'm saying. Some people apparently are just looking for an excuse to complain 😅

So funny, I've been running into these lately as well.  They seem to stick a little with the dillon 9mm resizing die.  If one stops me, then I take it out, move over to the 650 with the MA sizing die and it punches right through, then I toss it back into the 1100 case feeder.

There's been some good suggestions and I've learned of different tools that should make these Norma cases a nonissue for certain.

I admit to being a bit spoiled..maybe somewhat lazy. But I'm not complaining. Heck, this is free brass!

I don't deprime 9mm as a separate stage, just feed into my 30 year old 550 as I run 1 k batches of 9mm practice ammo. I have 3K of 147 HiTek bullets inbound as I type this.

I load a good bit of .38 spl through a single stage Lee press with RCBS dies. I just deprimed and straightened 1300 .38 cases this week so far. I'll prime and bell them next week.

I'll just adapt to sorting my 9mm cases. So I wasn't complaining, just "Expressing concern in a meaningful fashion" aka "Bit**in" LOL. :)

Thanks for the suggestions and great info.

Edited by Jacksonj
words...

I found a guy that sells once fired 9mm brass sorted by headstamp, wet tumbled, roll sized and de primed for 85 bucks, delivered. 

PM me if you want his info. I've used him in the past, I was just trying to save some money.