Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig MPX Competition Yes or No?

As the title says, should I invest in an MPX Competition model? Pros? Cons? I have owned a Sig MPX Gen 1 in the past and loved it, but eventually went back to an AR-9. Now I am looking to get another one, and I want to hear what kind of differences this one has vs the older generation models. Thanks in advance!

A few improvements in the MPX from Gen1/2 to the current Competition:

·        Improved carrier system ( eliminated the gouging in the upper under hard use)

·        Improved buffer to match the new carrier

·        Improved ejector mounting system ( eliminated the gouging in the upper under hard use)

·        Improved gas relief ports on the piston chamber ( reduced back presser,  fouling and improved operation with a wider range of powder burn rates)

·        Eliminated 2 vent holes in the upper around the gas relief ports to reduce fouling of optics

·        Improved handguard fit to reduce flex

·        Improved extractor, spring, insert and O ring

3 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

A few improvements in the MPX from Gen1/2 to the current Competition:

·        Improved carrier system ( eliminated the gouging in the upper under hard use)

·        Improved buffer to match the new carrier

·        Improved ejector mounting system ( eliminated the gouging in the upper under hard use)

·        Improved gas relief ports on the piston chamber ( reduced back presser,  fouling and improved operation with a wider range of powder burn rates)

·        Eliminated 2 vent holes in the upper around the gas relief ports to reduce fouling of optics

·        Improved handguard fit to reduce flex

·        Improved extractor, spring, insert and O ring

Awesome! Thank you for the info!

I’ll say yes to a Gen2 or newer MPX Competition. 

it’s cheaper than a JP5 and I’m willing to bet it’s a softer shooting gun. MPX is a maintenance whore, but just keep it clean.  I have thousands of rounds thru mine. I love it! 

I have the PCC model and also an AR-9 PCC and see pros and cons to each option.  The MPX seems to shoot softer and reloads easier for me and these differences show up on the scoreboard.  That said, while it is generally reliable, that seems to come at the cost of higher maintenance.  The gas plug on it will get dirty as you shoot it and eventually lead to malfunctions.  Usually this is well over 1K rounds for me, but during the panic, I ended up with a different brand of coated bullets than the Blue Bullets I usually use.  Long and short, they were leading up my barrels something fierce and managed to gunk that gas chamber up enough to cause malfunctions within 100 rounds, which hosed me at a big annual steel match.  General recommendations seem to be even against the coated bullets in these, but the Blues don't seem to gunk up the works too fast.  Still, in the interest of reliability, best practice would likely be to use a TMJ or HP projectile with no lead exposed and a clean burning powder.

My AR-9 PCC works well enough.  Not quite as soft, but not bad, and reloads with Glock pattern mags don't seem as natural to me.  The main benefit is that it runs and runs with almost no maintenance.  When I was at the Lucas Oil PCC match a few years back, my wife and I both used it with one quick field clean halfway through the stages.  Despite the hard use and heavy rain, there was not a single malfunction for the entire match.  Needless to say, there were a good amount of PCC's going down at that match.

Same here, had GMR-15 and switched to MPX Gen2 as main pcc and one competition for backup, I sent both barrels to Rob (ILWT)  to port service and ramp relief, I don't have any malfunctions with ammo from 125 up to 165 PF. Hiperfire  eclipse trigger and Coda Evolution comp. No going back to JP despite of bolt modification in new PCC