Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 for Steel Challenge

Endurokids

I'm looking for recommendations on speed loaders that work, front sight replacement (fiber optic preferred) and reduced trigger springs that wont cause light strikes.

I'm trying to get it set up correctly without a lot of experimentation, if possible. It's a S&W revolver .22 cal, 10 shot.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Endurokids said:

I'm looking for recommendations on speed loaders that work, front sight replacement (fiber optic preferred) and reduced trigger springs that wont cause light strikes.

I'm trying to get it set up correctly without a lot of experimentation, if possible. It's a S&W revolver .22 cal, 10 shot.

Thanks in advance!

EK: 

I recently read a thread here on spring kits etc for the 617.  You may want to run a search because from what I gathered, there isn't a lot a guy should to with a 617 other than trying a spring kit and maybe smoothing out a some rough areas.  Messing with .22's aside from some very basic stuff is, apparently, not a good idea.  

You will need a speed loader and a loading block.  Revolver Supply, Speed Beez come to mind. 

BTW -- consider yourself lucky you have a 617.  

GG

I'm not fan of super light triggers on a .22 revolvers, I'll lighten the rebound spring to maybe a 13 or 14 lbs after the action is broken in good, if you get it too light then the return isn't fast enough for speed sports. I don't change the hammer spring on my 617's, I like reliable ignition with all ammo brands. For steel matches I use a shot shell belt carrier with 2 pouches, I use one pouch for full loaders and the other one for cylinder unloads and empty loaders. I can easily carry 10 of these really light speed loaders.

617_loaders_800w.jpg

Edited by DS-10-SPEED
pic added

DS-10 Speed Loaders are the best and at a great price. My fiber optic front sight is from Dawson Precision.  I like the green better than red.

I still use my stock S&W Mainspring but an 11 pound rebound spring.  13 should be good enough.  With 11 some shooters will outrun the trigger so you may need a little more tension.

I also have the new Apex Mass Drive Hammer on my 617.  My trigger pull is right around 7 pounds and I can shoot any .22 ammo I want.

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

FO Sight Small.jpg

I mostly use my 617 in steel challenge as practice.  I've left the springs stock.  It's been smoothed out, but still in the 12 pound range.  Trying to go fast with this setup is quite a challenge.  This setup forces great concentration on my part, and it's a lot of fun.

One can get a lighter trigger pull on a 617 with a lot of work.  Think about keeping it stock to help with mastering your other revolvers.

23 hours ago, DS-10-SPEED said:

I'm not fan of super light triggers on a .22 revolvers, I'll lighten the rebound spring to maybe a 13 or 14 lbs after the action is broken in good, if you get it too light then the return isn't fast enough for speed sports. I don't change the hammer spring on my 617's, I like reliable ignition with all ammo brands. For steel matches I use a shot shell belt carrier with 2 pouches, I use one pouch for full loaders and the other one for cylinder unloads and empty loaders. I can easily carry 10 of these really light speed loaders.

617_loaders_800w.jpg

19 hours ago, DS-10-SPEED said:

I've gone with loader holders before, I even made adapters for Safariland holders, but I found a shot shell pouch (similar to the one below) works better for me. It gives me a pouch to dump the cylinder and the empty loaders.

pouch.jpg

Belt clip_IMCH.jpg

Well when you have that many loaders then ya, a carry pouch looks required 🤣🤣

On 1/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, Endurokids said:

Thanks in advance!

Did you get the 4" or 6"? I have both, I put a Burris FF3 on the 4" and shoot the 6" with iron sights.

Thanks everyone! A lot to digest here. 

Mine is a 6". I'm changing the front sight to a fiber optic for sure and will look into your suggestions.

Speed bees look great and are pricey, I like the price of the DS-10 but wonder about quality and function long term?

Rebound spring at 14 lbs sounds good and my LGS is going to smooth out the action and install the spring.

I looked a couple of months for this model and came across it at a LG shop and bought it on the spot. It was on display for hours not days.

There were a couple of people interested before me but didn't commit.

I got lucky for sure!

1 hour ago, Endurokids said:

Speed bees look great and are pricey, I like the price of the DS-10 but wonder about quality and function long term?

I've had my DS-10s for at least 10 years and have never had a failure with them.  

4 hours ago, Endurokids said:

I like the price of the DS-10 but wonder about quality and function long term?

After 17 years I've never had one fail to function with normal use. Some other things to consider is cartridge retention, required loading force, size and weight. DS loaders were the first to develop staggered length push pins to reduce the loading force in half, they require 5 lbs or less to insert the rounds. I've seen some other loaders without staggered push pins that can require up to 14 lbs of force on the cylinder/crane. I recommend holding the cylinder with any push type loader to minimize damage to the crane. The small DS loaders weigh only 0.5 ounces each and are made of a softer HDPE material, at first the material choice was made for the ease of making them but when others started making them out of hard plastic and aluminum I soon realized the softer material has improved cartridge retention (the garter spring pushes the round slightly into the softer center). The lasted design improves on that concept by reducing the size of the inner contact point to get a slightly deeper "retention dent". Here I go again telling the other guys how to improve their designs, oh well, these type loaders are a necessity for .22 revolver speed sports.

I like to carry a bunch in a pouch so lighter and smaller is a plus for me.

The designs are pretty simple and they all will do the job regardless of which loader you buy.

https://ds10speed.wordpress.com/

Edited by DS-10-SPEED
added link and typo

3 hours ago, Endurokids said:

Thanks everyone! A lot to digest here. 

Mine is a 6". I'm changing the front sight to a fiber optic for sure and will look into your suggestions.

Rebound spring at 14 lbs sounds good and my LGS is going to smooth out the action and install the spring.

I looked a couple of months for this model and came across it at a LG shop and bought it on the spot. It was on display for hours not days.

There were a couple of people interested before me but didn't commit.

I got lucky for sure!

The DS-10 are better in my opinion, the springs are tighter and hold the ammo better and they have lasted me for several years. The speed bees the ammo falls out alot the springs are weaker or not as tight.  DS-10 for the win, better  and cheaper in cost for me.

I have to "ditto" the above comments on the DS-10's, have a bunch and they always work, the newer one's as posted above are the best generation so far imo.

Speed Beez are a bit sexier looking but I have seen the retention issue up close when designing the loader holders I posted.

I agree on supporting the cylinder when using any of the loaders, in a game like Steel Challenge it's simple to do,

not so simple if you're on the clock though.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:54 AM, gargoil66 said:

EK: 

I recently read a thread here on spring kits etc for the 617.  You may want to run a search because from what I gathered, there isn't a lot a guy should to with a 617 other than trying a spring kit and maybe smoothing out a some rough areas.  Messing with .22's aside from some very basic stuff is, apparently, not a good idea.  

You will need a speed loader and a loading block.  Revolver Supply, Speed Beez come to mind. 

BTW -- consider yourself lucky you have a 617.  

GG

...and a bag or jar to dump your cylinder into between strings, so you can pick out the unfired rounds later....

59 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

Do you have a video or instructions on how the DS-10s work?  Ie. loading and unloading.

Is the 9 year old youtube video still applicable?

I'm not sure what video you are referring to, I never made a video. Here is an old picture with older models that still applies.

You can fill the loaders by hand or from a loading box or block by placing the loader over the filled block and push the outer rim down.

Then simply insert the filled loader in the cylinder and push the top of the loader. I recommend holding the cylinder with your other hand to remove stress on the crane.

I also included a picture with my older PBT (push button top) model below.

HTUc.jpg

HTUa.jpg

Edited by DS-10-SPEED
typo

13 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

I think it may have been someone else who did the video.  Thanks for taking the time to post the inforgraphic.

No problem, my first loaders made their debut on this forum 17 years ago with Mike Carmony being the very first customer.

Is MIke still around?

Edited by DS-10-SPEED
Question?

On 1/27/2022 at 12:35 PM, DS-10-SPEED said:

10mm, I didn't know you made these, they make my loaders look "sexy"! Nice job!

Thanks.

And don't forget all you rimfire revo shooters, look in the Competition thread here on BE for the thread to get Rimfire Revolvers recognized in Steel Challenge.

18 hours ago, DS-10-SPEED said:

No problem, my first loaders made their debut on this forum 17 years ago with Mike Carmony being the very first customer.

Is MIke still around?

Mike is still around, and still a tough competitor.