Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Killough Sports (Eley)

riden

I have. Was good ammo. Shot a bunch of the 9 major they used to make. Was also good ammo. They are a USPSA match ammo so if you use it at a major and declare match ammo you don't have to worry about passing chrono. 

• 2 weeks later...

At 2.5c a round I'm wondering if it's any cheaper to reload at today's prices. 

With some quick calculations my current cost per round is .25c

A 50rnd box of the 124gn minor ammo is .40c. It's a decent deal but I'm still ahead even with using an average 1000ct sleave of primers at $110.00. But this ammo is also match approved for majors so that's a nice thing if you never want to worry about chrono. 

I'd be interested in the cost per round of reloading 38super vs buying this. It would be a nice way to get brass maybe?

Edited by Bakerjd
More thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a few boxes to try. Sig X-5 legion 135 power factor and shot so so. feels a bit sharper in recoil than my reloads at the same power factor (125gr coated). I would use it if I needed or didn't reload.

shot some of all 3 bullet weights,  shoots nice, its loaded a tad hotter than the federal for sure,  in G34 with KKM barrel   115/1192 fps  124/1148   147/965   

but it should go legal anywhere,  the federal 150 tested at  905 same gun/same chrono/same day, starline brass is what they use btw

On 2/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, Sinister4 said:

shot some of all 3 bullet weights,  shoots nice, its loaded a tad hotter than the federal for sure,  in G34 with KKM barrel   115/1192 fps  124/1148   147/965   

but it should go legal anywhere,  the federal 150 tested at  905 same gun/same chrono/same day, starline brass is what they use btw

Which bullet weight did you prefer of the Eley?

I reload, but wanted to try some so I got 500 of the 9mm 124gr rounds. I shot a match Tuesday with it in my Sig P320 xfive factory barrel and got excellent accuracy when I did my part (1.5ish" at 10 yds). I reload to around 130-135pf and it felt the same to me. I didn't chrono it. Going to try it in my 5.5" barreled PCC next,,, I ordered 500 more for when I cant get to reloading,,,

I just got 1000 124's in.  Haven't tried them yet...but I did like their 38SC I used a couple years ago.  Will chime in on findings later in the month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I shoot a Canik Rival and use Eley 115GR PCC & 124Gr. PCC ammo in my Pistol.  The Pistol Ammo is a little hot and will definintely make power factor, but I use the PCC ammo in my Rival and it shoots soft ejects fine and is super accurate. I pulled a few apart and it looks like Vihtavuori powder. 

• 1 month later...

So what version should I pick up to try out of my x5 legion? Based on this thread? To get around 130-135 powerfactor.

124 pistol or 124 pcc?

Edited by mrvip27

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 6:18 PM, mrvip27 said:

So what version should I pick up to try out of my x5 legion? Based on this thread? To get around 130-135 powerfactor.

124 pistol or 124 pcc?

Use The 124Gr. Pistol ammo. The PCC in my Pistols are great for Steel Challenge. I use the 115GR. PCC for steel challenge. It's Phenomenal..

If i shot a USPSA match I would use their Pistol 147Gr. It shoots nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some experimenting yesterday.  I shot my 125 gr handloads, my 147 gr handloads, Eley 124 gr, and Syntech 150 gr.  All around 130-135 PF.  Shot with a Shadow 2 with an 11 lb recoil spring and a Shadow 2 with a 12 lb recoil spring.  In all cases, I liked my handloads the best, the 147 gr a little better than the 125 gr.  But the factory loads were pretty good too.  I think I liked the Eley's a little better than the Syntech's, but very close.  I'm sure it will vary with your gun and your technique.  With the current primer situation, I'll be shooting the factory loads for a while.  Both my handloads and the Eley 124's liked the 11 lb spring best and the Syntech 150's liked the 12 lb spring.  One thing to watch out for is that the Eley's are loaded pretty long.  I have a Shadow 2 that wouldn't completely go into battery every time with them; so barrel drop test them before shooting in a CZ.

On 2/14/2022 at 6:00 PM, Keepkool said:

I have run the .38 sc out of my SV. it dosn't make major with poppies . It comes in at 162PF. cycled and shot fine . I'd recommend it . 

FWIW I've been shooting the .38SC major all year. I chrono'ed at 177PF at Area 8, Brazos comp with no popples.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 4:23 PM, RobW said:

FWIW I've been shooting the .38SC major all year. I chrono'ed at 177PF at Area 8, Brazos comp with no popples.

I ran then at Open Nationals this year. Its seams the bumped the powder charge. I was very pleased with the ammo.