Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impression--DAA Turbo Case-Feeder Plate in my Dillon Case-Feeder

On 2/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I know people have installed the plate on the older generation of Dillon Case Feeders and they work, but I do not know if they have the occasional upside down casing.

I put the DAA in my old 2 speed case feeder (circa 2019), one piece all plastic bowl, and it worked much better than the stock Dillon Small pistol plate. That being said that case feeder has been problematic since new. After several complaints Dillon sent me a new plate, but that did not help. Anymore than 200 cases, 9mm, bogs it to a stop. It has always had multiple issues. Cleaned it the other day, I was selling it with my 650 and noticed the plate has worn a groove in the bowl, I thing maybe the bowl is warped. (I made full disclosure to the guy buying and gave him a hell of a deal.)

Edited by CenTX
to add Circa 2019

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my DAA plate yesterday and got a chance to try it out. With the Dillon small pistol plate and the variable speed casefeeder I could put 100 cases into the hopper and it wouldn’t bog down. Now with the DAA plate I can put 500 cases into the hopper. I was thinking of doing the bypass mod on the power supply but it doesn’t look like I’ll need to do that now. I ran about 4000 9mm cases through the casefeeder with the new plate. 

IV had my plate for a little while. I like it on my 1050 with the DAA case defector, it works amazing, and I think IV only had 1-2 upside down in a couple thousand rounds which is much better than the original Dillon plate. However, I did not like it in my 650 case feeder without the deflector plate. Caused so so many jams where the cases drops into the feed tube. Not sure if this was due to over loading or what, but I went back to my original Dillon for the 650 case feeder as it’s running my rollsizer and I don’t want to stand there and load brass so often. I think it was mostly when two cases got stacked on top of each other and the first one falls, but the second one gets caught. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new 750/casefeeder user.   Still in the setup phase, and have the feeder setup.   I get a fair amount of jams between the feed plate and the case deflector block, I should be able to figure that out.

My question is, would waxing the bowl, particularly the area the cases track in, help?  

3 minutes ago, 0099 said:

I get a fair amount of jams between the feed plate and the case deflector block, I should be able to figure that out

This seems to be some sort of defect from Dillon in regards to these jams.  I would contact Dillon.  There is a lot of people who have had the same issue over the last month - month and a half with recently purchased case feeders.  My first Dillon case feeder purchased back in 2019 did not have any of these issues.  The new one jammed all of the time until I replaced the plate/deflector block with the new DAA setup.  I did not take the time to figure out what was wrong with the Dillon plate and deflector block.

16 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

This seems to be some sort of defect from Dillon in regards to these jams.  I would contact Dillon.  There is a lot of people who have had the same issue over the last month - month and a half with recently purchased case feeders.  My first Dillon case feeder purchased back in 2019 did not have any of these issues.  The new one jammed all of the time until I replaced the plate/deflector block with the new DAA setup.  I did not take the time to figure out what was wrong with the Dillon plate and deflector block.

I’m still setting up, and have a lot to learn.  Waiting on a 9mm crimp die too.

This is a big upgrade from my SDB and 550.  I am not afraid to buy the DAA upgrades, bought plenty from them in the past.  I’ll give the blue parts a chance first.   Thanks for the input, you ever get out this way I’ll give you the tour of Cameo.

AE796205-40B1-49A7-9315-37840B1FA8F0.jpeg

I kinda figured you had been to cameo.

My case deflector got adjusted completely down, and I sanded off the slight lip from snagging cases.   The feeder is running like a scalded ape now.

This is going to be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed my DAA plate on a very old Dillon case feeder and what a difference!  Much smoother operation, no upside down cases, no jams, and I run the speed on low and it keeps up perfectly.  Also, I can put more brass in the hopper without it bogging down.  I've got over 1000 rounds through it and couldn't be happier.  For me this is a must have.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be something wrong. IIRC, I bought my 650 and case feeder back around 1988 and I've had almost zero problems with it. I don't ever remember an upside down case. Sometimes when switching from 9mm to 38/357 I'll forget to remove the white funnel, which causes an issue, but that's on me, not the machine.

Wish I would have know about them sooner, bought three for my case feeds and just tried one on my rollsizer. Before I would have to run it at a little over 3/4 speed to keep up with the rollsizer at full speed and I couldn't walk away from it or it would jamb. I just ran 10K 9's through it with the case feed set to half speed and not only did it keep up, I didn't have a single jamb or upside down case.

• 1 month later...

Apparently I jinxed myself. Loading 45's yesterday and had 3 upside down cases in 500 rounds. Didn't piss me off near as much as the stupid Federal small primer cases though.  I hope whoever at Federal came up with that stupid idea gets monkey pox.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2022 at 6:31 AM, Tom S. said:

Didn't piss me off near as much as the stupid Federal small primer cases though.  I hope whoever at Federal came up with that stupid idea gets monkey pox

Swager with the large primer rod should be able to "detect" small primer brass. But messing with the primer pocket size... you're right, monkey pox on them. Lol. 

Edited by IVC

1 hour ago, andrewst359 said:

Can the plate handle 40sw, 44mag and 223?

Yes, probably not and no. 

The plate is designed for the standard competition calibers such as 9mm, 38 Super/SC, .40 and even .45 is pushing it a bit. I'm pretty sure that 44 Magnum is too tall and would cause issues, and 223 for sure doesn't work. But for 223 the Dillon basic plate works really well, where cases travel in tangent to the edge of the bowl and not perpendicular. 

4 hours ago, andrewst359 said:

44mag and 223?

223 works best with the small rifle plate. 44 Mag uses the large pistol plate. The pistol plates will not feed 223 properly.

40SW feeds fine in the DAA plate. I never tried it, but putting a spacer under the DAA plate may make it work for 44 Mag.