Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impression--DAA Turbo Case-Feeder Plate in my Dillon Case-Feeder

10 hours ago, clw42 said:

I think it's definitely quieter than the stock Dillon plates, not by a lot, but it's a noticeable difference.

Loaded 500 rounds of .40 with zero issues. I can't say it's any quieter -- it's still a bunch of brass rolling around on a plastic plate -- but it is a big improvement over stock.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the plate yesterday and can test it tomorrow. Seeing your reviews makes me look forward to using it :)

But I have a problem with the Dillon motor/controll board. The first Case feeder, after around 15k of brass (223 and 9mm) the stop switch stopped working. I checked the switch with a Multimeter, seemed to work as it should, but the board was not reacting anymore, even when I manually shorted the contacts on the board. The variable speed function still worked. Dillon sent me a replacement (whole Thing: Motor, board, switch, gearbox). I took the board from the new Unit and used it to replace the bad one. For a few sessions it worked just fine, then something strange started to happen. After the tube was full, and motor stopped, it would start again, but in super slow rpm, so i upped the speed. But all of a sudden, after a few stopps on super slomo, it would start up at max rpm.... It did this for many hours, and I just lived with it. But now it completely died, does not move at all. So I am using the "nonstop board" right now and contacted dillon again. Told them my problem and asked if I could just buy some motor controller from some other manufacturer to use on this unit. They replied with "we will send you another replacement unit, please replace whole unit, not just parts of it" (No words to describe their warranty service! Outstanding!). I was wondering if anyone ever had such a problem, as I couldn't find something online. 

Admins: If need be, I'll open a new topic to keep this one clean about the DAA Plate, but as discussion about motors is allready on, and I am a lazy B@s**rd, I thought I would just put it here.

7 hours ago, Hansimania said:

I just got the plate yesterday and can test it tomorrow. Seeing your reviews makes me look forward to using it :)

But I have a problem with the Dillon motor/controll board. The first Case feeder, after around 15k of brass (223 and 9mm) the stop switch stopped working. I checked the switch with a Multimeter, seemed to work as it should, but the board was not reacting anymore, even when I manually shorted the contacts on the board. The variable speed function still worked. Dillon sent me a replacement (whole Thing: Motor, board, switch, gearbox). I took the board from the new Unit and used it to replace the bad one. For a few sessions it worked just fine, then something strange started to happen. After the tube was full, and motor stopped, it would start again, but in super slow rpm, so i upped the speed. But all of a sudden, after a few stopps on super slomo, it would start up at max rpm.... It did this for many hours, and I just lived with it. But now it completely died, does not move at all. So I am using the "nonstop board" right now and contacted dillon again. Told them my problem and asked if I could just buy some motor controller from some other manufacturer to use on this unit. They replied with "we will send you another replacement unit, please replace whole unit, not just parts of it" (No words to describe their warranty service! Outstanding!). I was wondering if anyone ever had such a problem, as I couldn't find something online. 

Admins: If need be, I'll open a new topic to keep this one clean about the DAA Plate, but as discussion about motors is allready on, and I am a lazy B@s**rd, I thought I would just put it here.

I had something similar. Dillon sent me a new stop switch. That didn't fix the problem, so for a little while longer I just lived with my case feeder not having the auto shut off feature. No big deal, but eventually I decided to contact Dillon again. They told me to send the unit back, but since I didn't have the original box, it was too much pain in the ass. Fast forward about three months and the auto shut off feature for no good reason started to function again. Still a very good case feeder and I will end up getting another one when I pick up a decapper. 

Got the plate.  Put it in a feeder that has the immortobot motor that I use with the Rollsizer.  With the Dillon plate, even at the highest speed the feeder couldn't keep up when running all six pins.  With the DAA plate, the feeder outruns the machine even at a medium setting.  And I had zero jams at the drop.  I haven't gotten around to trying it with the Dillon variable speed motors which I have on my other machines, but will do that next.  But, so far I'm very pleased with the result.  It's a huge improvement at a very affordable price.  

3 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

when running all six pins

That's great to hear.

Lmao, I have misplaced two of my pins.  I was trying to test with the stock motor.  Once I find them I will report back for others.

Edited by Boomstick303

I bought the DAA Turbo Case-Feeder Plate in my Dillon Variable Speed Case-Feeder with commercial roll sizer and with the 6 pins installed and electrical modification it's fantastic and only one plate for my 3 calibers 9-40-45😎

I just put the case feeder plate on my old 2 speed Dillon case feeder and it works great.  I mounted the Dislodge Wedge to the curved metal side plate in the 2 speed case feeder by just re-shaping the back side on my belt sander to match the curvature of the metal plate.  After I installed the wedge I noticed the caption "Suitable for use only in the Dillon DC Variable Speed Case Feeder model."  LOL!

Nolan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, SJBriggs said:

I had something similar. Dillon sent me a new stop switch. That didn't fix the problem, so for a little while longer I just lived with my case feeder not having the auto shut off feature. No big deal, but eventually I decided to contact Dillon again. They told me to send the unit back, but since I didn't have the original box, it was too much pain in the ass. Fast forward about three months and the auto shut off feature for no good reason started to function again. Still a very good case feeder and I will end up getting another one when I pick up a decapper. 

I had the same problem but different response from Dillon. 

Initially they sent me a new stop switch which didn't fix the problem.

Called them back and they sent the complete motor and circuit board assembly; never asked me to send it back.

Interesting how they seem to respond differently to different customers with what appears to be the same problem.

Back on topic: I picked up the DAA case feeder plate and it is working great.

Using it for 9mm only.

Eliminated this nuisance jam I was having when the case gets stuck against that movable metal tab. 

To get back on the subject of the DAA plate, I installed it in the case feeder I use for my Roll Sizer.  The new plate has allowed me to run the Roll Sizer at full capacity, and has room to spare on speed.  I can adjust the speed to a point where the cases feed at the perfect speed where the limit switch does not shut down the case feeder.  Much cheaper than buying a new motor for the case feeder.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:09 PM, Hansimania said:

The reason they want you to replace everything. Goes back to . Cause and effect. example part A fails caused by part B drawing to much current.  Another example

your automobile engine "locks up". Engine is replaced. Two days later your new engine "locks up". Requiring you Engine to neen replacement. That's Effect. Now Why.

(Cause )Engine cooling fan is not working.Engine is over heating. Little bulb on dash has never worked. Fix cooling fan issue , replace bulb in dash and engine.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, ddc said:

Back on topic: I picked up the DAA case feeder plate and it is working great.

Using it for 9mm only.

Eliminated this nuisance jam I was having when the case gets stuck against that movable metal tab. 

Anyone try using the DAA  case feeder plate with lots of .45 brass?    I'm guessing this might not work so well with the added weight using the stock Dillon case feed motor.

I don't have any issues feeding my rollsizer with 6 pins with 9mm or .45 using the stock Dillon case feed plate and Immortal arms CFU (case feed motor upgrade).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a Dillon 1100, so I moved the DAA case feed plate from my 650 to the 1100 case feeder.  Now every so often I get an upside down case.  Never happened with the 650 and I set it up exactly the same way.  Thoughts??  Anyone else have this happen?  Variable speed setting is relatively low, and never really above half way.  Also, not a fan of the variable speed case feeder, it can't really handle many cases.

19 minutes ago, clw42 said:

I recently purchased a Dillon 1100, so I moved the DAA case feed plate from my 650 to the 1100 case feeder.  Now every so often I get an upside down case.  Never happened with the 650 and I set it up exactly the same way.  Thoughts??  Anyone else have this happen?  Variable speed setting is relatively low, and never really above half way.  Also, not a fan of the variable speed case feeder, it can't really handle many cases.

Use mine on a 1050- and 650- attached Dillon case feeders (different vintages). Have never seen this with Dillon's plates or since I installed DAA.

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

DAA case feed plate from my 650 to the 1100 case feeder.

Is the case feeder on the 650 the variable speed feeder?  DAA specs that their plate is to only be used with the Variable Speed model for the Dillon case feeder.  Also you installed the DAA Dislodge-Wedge that came with the plate?  If you have make sure it is adjusted properly.  I have ran around 3000 rounds through mine and have yet to have an upside down casing for my roll sizer.

I know people have installed the plate on the older generation of Dillon Case Feeders and they work, but I do not know if they have the occasional upside down casing.

24 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I know people have installed the plate on the older generation of Dillon Case Feeders and they work, but I do not know if they have the occasional upside down casing.

I have the DAA plate installed on two different Dillon case feeders--both are different vintages and pre-variable speed. My understanding was the DAA wedge should only be used on the variable speed while the DAA plate is used across all Dillon models.

1 hour ago, kmc said:

DAA plate is used across all Dillon models

Maybe that is the case and some are making the mod to make the DAA Wedge work in the older model.  

You may want to contact DAA about the upside down casing.  I think there is room to adjust the DAA Wedge on the new case feeder. Maybe something to play with.  I have mine as close to the plate as I can get it.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, 67isb said:

Anyone try using the DAA  case feeder plate with lots of .45 brass?    I'm guessing this might not work so well with the added weight using the stock Dillon case feed motor.

I don't have any issues feeding my rollsizer with 6 pins with 9mm or .45 using the stock Dillon case feed plate and Immortal arms CFU (case feed motor upgrade).

Interesting. I was getting an occasional upside down case with the Dillon plate. 

I don't think I've had one since I installed the DAA.

I've noticed that very small changes in various parameters can be the difference between failure and success with both bullet and case feeders.

Too bad we can't adjust the tilt on the case feeders. I'd be curious how that would affect operation.

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Is the case feeder on the 650 the variable speed feeder?  DAA specs that their plate is to only be used with the Variable Speed model for the Dillon case feeder.  Also you installed the DAA Dislodge-Wedge that came with the plate?  If you have make sure it is adjusted properly.  I have ran around 3000 rounds through mine and have yet to have an upside down casing for my roll sizer.

Oddly, the 650 case feeder is the old style motor, but new style all plastic bin and it worked fine.  I'll try messing with the wedge, in the meantime I've also submitted a request with DAA for their feedback as well.

Had an email exchange with Saul from DAA.  He said upside down cases weren't something he's had any complaints about and offered up a few tips - Make sure it's sitting flush, watch the speed as faster could cause some issues and don't have too many cases in the hopper, or that could potentially cause issues.  When I mentioned that number three wasn't a problem because the variable speed motor was junk and it couldn't move the volume he mentioned he seemed surprised.  I think mine likes the 300 mark but who knows.  I'm not hung up on that anyway, I just toss some in every couple of hundred.

I emptied the bowl and removed the plate.  I found it was a little sticky from case lube...I may be a little heavy handed with it sometimes.  I wiped the bowl out and then washed the feed plate.  Reinstalled everything and ran about 1K cases through without issue.  My guess is that the case lube may have been gumming up the works or that there was a piece of debris somewhere that I removed.  I will say, I saw nothing obvious aside from a few nibs of corn cob.

I guess it's also possible the case lube is the reason I can't put many more than 300 in the feeder.  I'm going to test that and confirm as well.

I only get upside down cases, or cases under the plate (which is a whole other nightmare), if I overload the hopper. With my calibrated Kraft Peanut Butter Container (TM) I put about 600 cases in my older RL1050 hopper and it will run smooth. Anymore than that and I get upside down ones, as the slots can't clear and will hold upside down cases in place, not letting them tip out. I have also had to clean the plate, just like I do with the Dillons, to remove built up case lube grunge. Too much and the cases won't slide in the slots either, causing the same upside case issue. Both are avoidable with proper care and maintenance. 

Received mine today to use on my 650 and old style case feeder.  Could not get it to run with the Dillon Wedge left on, would not cycle underneath the wedge.  Removing the wedge, it runs but squeaks, squawks, squeals and seems to drag on either speed.  Will try it with the DAA wedge later, but the drag and noise has me concerned as I don't have those with the Dillon plate.  From what I see for my case feeder (circa 2000) the thickness of the plate appears to be an issue with the Dillon wedge.

As an aside, the case feeder has 3 mounting holes for the Dillon wedge, something I don't see on newer models.  Also does not have a metal side to it, all plastic the whole way around. Not sure if the previous owner added one or not.

I reached out to DAA support, we'll see what they say.  

Edited by vluc

I finally received my Rollsizer the other day from Houston after waiting for it to be back in stock. I set it up to Rollsize 9, 40 and 45 using my variable speed Dillon case feeder with the DAA plate and wedge. So far, the case feeder was outrunning the Rollsizer with six pins installed. I didn’t experience any jams with the 9 and 40 brass but I had one with the .45. A little adjustment on the DAA wedge did the trick.

So far, I’m very satisfied with both. Now to wait for the decapper to be back in stock so I can order one 😉.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, vluc said:

Received mine today to use on my 650 and old style case feeder.  Could not get it to run with the Dillon Wedge left on, would not cycle underneath the wedge.  Removing the wedge, it runs but squeaks, squawks, squeals and seems to drag on either speed.  Will try it with the DAA wedge later, but the drag and noise has me concerned as I don't have those with the Dillon plate.  From what I see for my case feeder (circa 2000) the thickness of the plate appears to be an issue with the Dillon wedge.

As an aside, the case feeder has 3 mounting holes for the Dillon wedge, something I don't see on newer models.  Also does not have a metal side to it, all plastic the whole way around. Not sure if the previous owner added one or not.

I reached out to DAA support, we'll see what they say.  

UPDATE:  After hearing from DAA Support (thanks Josh) turns out that while I have five screws holding the case feeder on, only 3 are recessed, the other two are not flush.  As a result, the squealing and squeaking I heard was the new plate running over them.  Now to take a closer look to see if I can remove material or find screws to replace these. 

If you are running an older case feeder (circa 2000), take a close look.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, ddc said:

I had the same problem but different response from Dillon. 

Dillon, without any doubt, has very good service, but you are dealing with different individuals on the phone and therefore may get different solutions to specific problems.

Had to return mine.  Even after replacing the button head screws with flat, and insuring that they were not interfering, I could not get the plate to run with the Dillon Wedge (and the DAA Wedge would not fit either).  Maybe there was some design change or something 20+ years ago, don't know. 

Like the idea of the plate but could not get it to work, but it runs fine with the Dillon plate.