Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considerations when buying pistol bullets

Ontarget

What are your considerations when you choose a company for pistol bullets. I have been mostly relying on lowest price to make my decision.

Do you consider factors other than price when choosing a bullet company: consistency of their bullets, accuracy compared to other brands, 

ease if loading, etc.?

26 minutes ago, Ontarget said:

What are your considerations when you choose a company for pistol bullets. I have been mostly relying on lowest price to make my decision.

Do you consider factors other than price when choosing a bullet company: consistency of their bullets, accuracy compared to other brands, 

ease if loading, etc.?

...Also customer service, Availability when times get tough, and match/shooter sponsorships(supporting the sport. Then there is the specific application such as Open gun vs other divisions. I only run JHP's in Open and currently Precision Delta is my go to company because they have done a great job of keeping bullets in stock. For other loads I prefer Black Bullets International coated bullets for all the reasons I mentioned above. Cost is generally my last consideration

consistency, able to deliver, having what I want, decent hassle free websight, good reviews, decent track record, competive but not always cheapest price.
That being said, all the current big players do well. Bayou, MO, Montanna gold, Precision, Precision Delta,

I use coated from Gallant for practice and locals. Level II and up Precision Delta and Montana gold.  Using JHP or FMJ minimizes smoke for higher level matches. I most likely will be switching to Black Bullets international for coated in the near future. 

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

...Also customer service, Availability when times get tough, and match/shooter sponsorships(supporting the sport. Then there is the specific application such as Open gun vs other divisions. I only run JHP's in Open and currently Precision Delta is my go to company because they have done a great job of keeping bullets in stock. For other loads I prefer Black Bullets International coated bullets for all the reasons I mentioned above. Cost is generally my last consideration

I consistently regard Sarge's info spot on and i ran JHPs for years.  Back in the early 2000s my shooting buddy and i ran tests on JHPs and round nose for our 38 supers.  We found the JHPs ran faster.   These were MGBs, 124s.  So we went that way.  I switched to 9mm Major awhile back and just switched from an STI open gun to a Tanfoglio.  The JHP profile does not run well.  So long story long.  It can depend 9n your gun.  

Sarge rules!

Number one is a tie between hardness and consistency. Then comes shape and weight, coated, and last, price.

I've done business with Penn Bullet for decades, literally. What caught my attention initially was I was looking for a 9mm 115 gr semi wad cutter bullet and they were the only one who made them. On top of that, they would size them for you if needed. I'm not sure of their future at this time as Robert Palermo, the owner passed away a week or so ago.

2 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Number one is a tie between hardness and consistency. Then comes shape and weight, coated, and last, price.

I've done business with Penn Bullet for decades, literally. What caught my attention initially was I was looking for a 9mm 115 gr semi wad cutter bullet and they were the only one who made them. On top of that, they would size them for you if needed. I'm not sure of their future at this time as Robert Palermo, the owner passed away a week or so ago.

wow, sorry to hear that. Was a good guy . allways had time to answer my emails and helped me develop my bowling pin loads.  Made me softer bullets than typical for both revolver and my 45.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 4:56 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

precision, sns, blue, gallant, BBI, bayou all ought to be pretty much interchangeable as excellent options. 

The only brands I've ever had issue with were J Ames (horribly inaccurate, other members had same experience) and Brazos (they lead my barrels in 9mm but are fine in my .40). 

I've heard similar about Brazos from others. What's going on there, oversized? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 5:56 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

precision, sns, blue, gallant, BBI, bayou all ought to be pretty much interchangeable as excellent options. 

The only brands I've ever had issue with were J Ames (horribly inaccurate, other members had same experience) and Brazos (they lead my barrels in 9mm but are fine in my .40). 

What weight were you using (with Brazos) and to what velocity did you load them?  I've been using their 135gr 9mm (which I find to generally be 137gr) for a couple of years now.  I pretty much only shoot Glocks.  The only leading I've seen was with my Gen5 G34 when new.  After cleaning the barrel and running a few hundred FMJ through it, it seems to have been cured of the issue.  I load them to low 900s (like 930fps), and have using them with my Gen3 G34 for IDPA.

BTW, to answer the OP's question, price is the main driver for which bullets I buy, but sometimes weight or a profile I really want are the deciders.  Not everyone produces every weight and profile.

Edited by njl

3 hours ago, njl said:

What weight were you using (with Brazos) and to what velocity did you load them?  

It was 125gr, 135gr, and I think 147? its been a while.  I tried different diameters too.  they all just wrecked the barrels with leading in several pistols.  Lots of people here had the same experience.  Sounds like you got lucky somehow.