Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jumping from 9 to 38SC

Robertwil18

Been looking and just want to be sure i understand correctly that most any 38 Super dies will be what are needed for 38 Super Comp?   I know I will need a new shellplate or the full  38SC conversion kit from dillon, or i will need to get the dies i want separately.  Any feedback for what works/ what doesn't and lessons learned before i go all in?

3 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Have an FW Arms #3 shellplate on order.  Any 38 Super dies will be solid for 38 SC also?  Have a second toolhead im going to set up for 38SC and getting dies and components together now while waiting for the build

most important is the 38s sizing die, i use the egw or lee u die so you can size to the base of the brass

next i use a redding competition seating die in 38s 

you can get away with a 9 crimp die

#3 shellplate

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2021 at 10:51 AM, Amra86 said:

I have found that a regular Lee 38 super die does not give any neck tension with .355 bullets. I need to use the Lee 38 super U die for .355 bullets.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking about getting the U die that cinched it.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, Rjz5400 said:

So other than the crimp die (if needed) people can just use regular .38/.357/"38super"? 

This might be a game changer for me as I already load 38 special for my revolver so I have those dies. 

I don't know about .38/.357 but 38 super dies yes. There are very few things in reloading marked for 38 SC it pretty much a 38 super with a smaller rim. 

I've used regular .38 Super dies (actually marked "38 Auto" since before Supercomp even was a thing.  Change the shellplate and drive on.  You can use 9mm seat/crimp dies, but 9 has more taper to the case so you won't get the final size with something like a Lee FCD.  

• 3 weeks later...