Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Nationals

Jeff O

On 9/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I've heard that too. 

I don't really get the load everyone hot thing. Clearly IDPA was extremely concerned with time at this match. 

The load hot was on the warm up stage at the beginning. And I think JJ would have taken the DQ but was pushed to appeal by the sponsor rep that was with him. Also, the SO’s were very clear to warn everyone about the leg sweep on the walk through. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RePete said:

You shouldn't have to warn anyone about sweeping themselves, especially at the Nationals, they should already know the rules.

Generally agree. The specific stage in question was a seated start so the SO's took the time to underscore that they would be watching the shooter's muzzle/knee/etc. I appreciated them emphasizing it as a reminder.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, RePete said:

You shouldn't have to warn anyone about sweeping themselves, especially at the Nationals, they should already know the rules.

I think it's good practice to warn people. You're right you shouldn't need to but a little extra help to avoid pointing your gun at yourself doesn't hurt anything. Plus when you do DQ someone (and at a major you probably will) you can say "hey I warned them"

I was at a major once and they even let us "air gun" one part. It was a door you had to open on the 180. It made sense to me to let people do that instead or risking a unsafe situation happening. 

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think it's good practice to warn people. You're right you shouldn't need to but a little extra help to avoid pointing your gun at yourself doesn't hurt anything. Plus when you do DQ someone (and at a major you probably will) you can say "hey I warned them"

I was at a major once and they even let us "air gun" one part. It was a door you had to open on the 180. It made sense to me to let people do that instead or risking a unsafe situation happening. 

I do agree with you and I do give the warning, but at the Nats and SS/EX and above should know the rules.  

As I said before, IDPA  doesn't follow their own rules at the Nats.  A  DQ for safety  isn't negotiable.

3 hours ago, RePete said:

I do agree with you and I do give the warning, but at the Nats and SS/EX and above should know the rules.  

As I said before, IDPA  doesn't follow their own rules at the Nats.  A  DQ for safety  isn't negotiable.

I totally agree

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:44 AM, Jeff O said:

He muzzled his leg on a draw. Sponsored shooter of the title match sponsor. ANYBODY else would have been gone.

Funny, you can muzzle your leg now per the new rules. 🤪

20 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

Honestly, good. It's pretty stupid to have rigid draw/sweep rules and then have a legs-forward seated start. The new wording makes a lot more sense.

2 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

Where are you guys finding the new rules?

Log in to the IDPA site and there's a post with links. I'm finding the changelogs and comparison version to be as helpful as the actual new rulebook.

3 hours ago, Andy9 said:

2 hours ago, matteekay said:

Honestly, good. It's pretty stupid to have rigid draw/sweep rules and then have a legs-forward seated start. The new wording makes a lot more sense.

Now that is gross stupidity.  Simple training would eliminate that.

Can you imagine the lawsuit that would follow if someone shoots themselves in the leg on a seated draw?  The answer would be "It is allowed in the rulebook!"

I teach how to do a seated draw.  It's as simple as slide slightly sideways in the chair so that the gun is towards the target, no sweeping.

My club has a rule that supersedes that rule.  A DQ for sweeping yourself or anyone else.

Other clubs should follow suit.

1 hour ago, RePete said:

Now that is gross stupidity.  Simple training would eliminate that.

Can you imagine the lawsuit that would follow if someone shoots themselves in the leg on a seated draw?  The answer would be "It is allowed in the rulebook!"

I teach how to do a seated draw.  It's as simple as slide slightly sideways in the chair so that the gun is towards the target, no sweeping.

My club has a rule that supersedes that rule.  A DQ for sweeping yourself or anyone else.

Other clubs should follow suit.

Kindly explain how to draw from the now-allowed appendix position, while seated, without sweeping any part of your body. 

1 hour ago, RePete said:

I don't about you and the area you are in, but where I come from  it's called common sense.

There is a total lack of training for that movement.

As you know Mr. B, there is no lattitude for safety violations at ACC. BTW the SO who DQ'd him is an ACC member.

Edited by Jeff O

2 hours ago, RePete said:

I don't about you and the area you are in, but where I come from  it's called common sense.

There is a total lack of training for that movement.

I'm pretty confident in my appendix draw (it's how I carry daily) but I couldn't tell you how to draw from the seated position without sweeping something. The muzzle literally begins pointed at your lower body and has to travel out past the rest of you. Still happy to hear your explanation of how this can be accomplished without the muzzle ever passing over any part of the shooter's body.

Now that IDPA allows AIWB, the only options are to ban all seated starts or amend the sweeping rules to not DQ an entire subset of shooters.

35 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Now that IDPA allows AIWB, the only options are to ban all seated starts or amend the sweeping rules to not DQ an entire subset of shooters.

That is effectively what they did, permitting sweeping until out of holster, to facilitate appendix start. 

20 minutes ago, Zincwarrior said:

That is effectively what they did, permitting sweeping until out of holster, to facilitate appendix start. 

That be as it may, but I still say that it's gross stupidity.