• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jeff O said:

No they wouldn't use video they knew that would have upheld the DQ

Plus, it's against the rules.....oh, wait. Talking to the people from the stage, there were others DQ'd for the same infraction.

On the subject of the guy shooting himself in the foot, does anybody have any more specifics on that? I'm not trying to point out the guy's name or anything like that, just looking at it from a safety perspective. Did it happen while he was reholstering, did he accidentally light one off drawing, did the gun just have a super sweet trigger and go off while in the holster? I hate to hear about something like that happen, and I'm always looking for ways to keep it from happening at a match I'm at

11 minutes ago, RJH said:

I hate to hear about something like that happen, and I'm always looking for ways to keep it from happening at a match I'm at

FWIW, saw a guy miss his foot by 3 - 4 inches while holstering a CZ open gun earlier this year. On that one he thought he must have bumped the weak side safety off with his strong hand. 

20 minutes ago, RJH said:

On the subject of the guy shooting himself in the foot, does anybody have any more specifics on that? I'm not trying to point out the guy's name or anything like that, just looking at it from a safety perspective. Did it happen while he was reholstering, did he accidentally light one off drawing, did the gun just have a super sweet trigger and go off while in the holster? I hate to hear about something like that happen, and I'm always looking for ways to keep it from happening at a match I'm at

It was a woman. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

So what I heard out there. Was that they all loaded on the line, then went back up range. Couldn’t leave the stage boundary, she was messing with her gun in the holster for whatever reason. Gun went off and shot her foot.

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I've heard that too. 

I don't really get the load everyone hot thing. Clearly IDPA was extremely concerned with time at this match. 

They only loaded everyone on one stage and the SO actually asked if we wanted to do it. It doesn’t save time and kinda throws off the shooter a bit. They were concerned about time, but then made shoot 10 stages on day 1 and 6 stages on day 2.

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

"This isn't USPSA"....or "not here".....or apparently the correct answer is, "Oh, my bad you're good then" 

I hear others were DQ'd on this stage for sweeping themselves the same way

Having a few sparsely attended divisions is not what makes a mockery of competition.

The instances that you mentioned are what does.

17 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Sad to hear.  I shot the first ten years of IDPA Nationals, until they moved out of the South, and had a great time at all.

I would like to see a report by an IDPA shooter, though.  

Several of the people on here were at the match, competing.

I was there. I actually liked the stages, they weren’t too gimmicky, had decent movers. I thought the SO’s were polite and articulate. Two stages thrown out during the staff shoots, so down to 16 from 18. They pushed us on Friday to shoot ten stages, leaving only six Saturday morning, done by 1045-11. Lunch wasn’t being delivered until 12-1, wasn’t waiting around for that. The range would shuttle people if they wanted, but not necessary.

First day, second bay, we had to wait around a-little over an hour for the super squad to finish, wasn’t to happy that.

Only negative stuff I heard was the JJ thing and Coley thing.
Coley got a PE in which he shouldn’t have and they didn’t remove it. 

Edited by SSGGlock

You can get the stage edit for JJ off Practiscore. I was not there so no comment about the ruling. Just providing some info so there are some facts about the stage situation.

Including a YT video of the Fast and Furious stage (by a different shooter). Sitting, loaded start at card table.

I remember a few IDPA matches with similar seated start. Definitely got to be careful not to sweep your knee/leg when drawing while seated.

Echavez Racaza, Simon Joseph (1)

2021-09-25 15:20:22.802 - 2021-09-25 17:03:11.245

Edited 2 hours after.

Edited tpts,3 was: -1 now: 0

Edited tpts,2 was: -1 now: 0

Edited tpts,1 was: -1 now: 6

Edited tpts,0 was: -1 now: 3

Removed watchCode:

Edited str,0 was: 0 now: 10.31

Edited pens,1 was: 0 now: 1

Edited dqr was: Fast And Furious<2.2.A Sweeping yourself or others> now:

Added stringTime: 10.31

Edited By Stage 11

2021 IDPA Nationals - Stage 14 (Fast and Furious) - YouTube

This is from the IDPA Rulebook (current for this match) for anyone that is not aware what 2.2.A refers to above.

2.2 Unsafe Firearm Handling Unsafe firearm handling will result in immediate Disqualification (DQ) from an IDPA match. The following is a nonexclusive list of unsafe behaviors. A. Endangering any person, including yourself. This includes sweeping one’s self or anyone else with a loaded or unloaded firearm. Sweeping is defined as allowing the muzzle of the firearm (loaded or unloaded) to cross or cover any portion of a person. Exception: Some body types combined with some holster types makes it almost impossible to holster a firearm or remove the firearm from the holster without sweeping a portion of the shooter’s lower extremities. Thus, a match Disqualification is not applicable for sweeping of the shooter’s own body below the belt while removing the firearm from the holster or holstering of the firearm, provided that the shooter’s trigger finger is clearly outside of the trigger guard. However, once the muzzle of the firearm is clear of the holster on the draw, sweeping any part of the body is a Disqualification. Example: Sweeping one’s leg on a seated start is a DQ.

Edited by Steppenwolf
Add 2.2.A info

9 minutes ago, SSGGlock said:

I was there. I actually liked the stages, they weren’t too gimmicky, had decent movers. I thought the SO’s were polite and articulate. Two stages thrown out during the staff shoots, so down to 16 from 18. They pushed us on Friday to shoot ten stages, leaving only six Saturday morning, done by 1045-11. Lunch wasn’t being delivered until 12-1, wasn’t waiting around for that. The range would shuttle people if they wanted, but not necessary.

First day, second bay, we had to wait around a-little over an hour for the super squad to finish, wasn’t to happy that.

Only negative stuff I heard was the JJ thing and Coley thing.
Coley got a PE in which he shouldn’t have and they didn’t remove it. 

Without that PE Shane beats JJ. Don't think IDPA should be looking for any help from Shane's sponsor.

1 minute ago, Jeff O said:

Without that PE Shane beats JJ. Don't think IDPA should be looking for any help from Shane's sponsor.

Yea, I noticed that when I was looking through the Practiscore data (after reading the responses in this thread) and thought Shane probably not happy about it. He is a professional and I expect you won't hear him complain.

8 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

4 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

Yea, I noticed that when I was looking through the Practiscore data (after reading the responses in this thread) and thought Shane probably not happy about it. He is a professional and I expect you won't hear him complain.

Yeap.

I didn't like the combined walk throughs and the overall "rushed" feeling of having to get 1 game plan in mind, them immediately switch to another.

That said, the stages were largely alright - nothing that you wouldn't see at a larger IDPA match - the overuse of vision barriers was a bit gimmicky ... 

I'm glad I went; nice to see Beretta interested in some form of practical shooting, honestly; nice to see a bunch of Beretta/LTT shooters.

6 hours ago, SSGGlock said:

I actually liked the stages, they weren’t too gimmicky, had decent movers. I thought the SO’s were polite and articulate. 

Semi-disagree with the first, definitely agree with the second. I get that they were trying to do "old school" stages without a ton of gimmicks, and that's cool, but they still could have used some more thought. Most could only be shot one way - I feel like stage planning is a big part of the game so that was a bit of a bummer. I did like the emphasis on hard leans and minding shoot-through angles, though.

I hope the injured shooter is okay. 

10 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Wait, you can appeal safety related DQ's in IDPA?????

Apparently, I had never considered it. I looked in the book and it does say something like you can be reinstated in the match after appealing, which I guess implies you can over turn a DQ. I've never heard of that happening though.

6 hours ago, matteekay said:

Most could only be shot one way - I feel like stage planning is a big part of the game so that was a bit of a bummer.

I don't disagree, but a lot of people in IDPA think there shouldn't be options and everyone should shoot the same way. In a sense it's probably better there weren't any options given the way they did the walk throughs. You probably wouldn't of had the time to really come up with the best plan anyway. 

Early days of the Masters in Birmingham, they went to some trouble to provide choices while still adhering to IDPA rules.

There were usually two choices, occasionally more.  You could take long or tight or long tight shots with little movement, or make a lot of movement to get open shots.   An Expert could do it the hard way, a Marksman would be better off to do it the slow way to avoid NTs, hard cover, and misses.  A Sharpshooter was going to have to think whether he felt lucky today.

16 hours ago, Jeff O said:

Several of the people on here were at the match, competing.

What I meant was people whose main game is IDPA, not mostly USPSA crossovers.

5 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

What I meant was people whose main game is IDPA, not mostly USPSA crossovers.

IDK if crossovers are a real thing. I mean, I get that JJ never shot IDPA before, but most of the folks winning and up there were IDPA folks:

Glenn Shelby, Austin Proloux, etc.