Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 X 180gr Plated Or Jacketed

dirtypool40

Berry's won the contest at $55/k delivered. See last post for info.

I am not interested in lead, moly coated or black bullets. I want copper plated or jacketed, and in 180 grain flavor.

I'm looking to buy 10-20k at a time, but I am not looking to spend $60-70 per thousand.

I have heard Berry's can get you some down around $50 /k delivered, and some places have Montanas or Zero's cheap.

Help me out. Thanks in advance.

Edited by dirtypool40

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rainier will get you down there but they don't sell less than 35K outside of their distributors. I think it also helps cost to have a commercial address (meaning loading dock) or you pick them up at a truck depot. It has been a couple of years but the last group buy that I was in got under $50/K.

"The normal bullets that rainier sells are a swaged out of lead wire (pure soft lead) then copper plated,"

Correct! That is one of the problems & the benefits of US made electroplated bullets like the Speer TMJ & Speer Gold Dot; the lead is soft & expands as well as the old 158 grn Lead Hollow Point .38 Special +P load of yester-year. But the bullets easily deform in loading & if over crimped, the plating will tear.

"the frontier bullets are hard cast and then copper plated."

Also correct. Every box of Frontiers have a quality lable in with the bullets that states "Cast".

"Both types of bullets are supposedly made in South Africa by the same company."

Batting 1000%. Made by Frontier Metal Processing (PTY) Ltd., Stilfontein, South Africa.

Available in the USA through T&T Reloading - do a search here on the be.com forum for T&T's new web address. They come to all the gun shows & will deliver Frontiers to you for free. While my shooting at the SC sectional sucked, the Frontier 180 rounded flat point 180s functioned flawlessly & accurately.

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

You can get frontier bullets from T&T Reloading, Black hills shooter supply, and rainier.

Sorry I forgot to add $46 per 1000 delivered for frontier 180gr .400 bullets (I think the cut off to get that price was 35,000).

While they are not sierra match bullets I'll put them up against Swaged bullets any day of the week, wait I did (neither one swaged nor cast did better then the other but the cast are cheaper).

Last year the group I shot with lost our bullet supplier and had to find a new source for bullets, these are the best deal we found by far.

I shot over 30,000 of these myself last year and our group sent many more out of many different guns down range with no problems.

Like all frangible or plated bullets you just have to watch you're crimp, to much will tear the plating.

Good luck on you’re search, this is the best we were able to find with out going back to plan lead or “coated” bullets, but if you find a better deal please let us know.

Contact (PM) Angus, he does discounts for bulk orders of Zero Bullets. IIRC discounts start when ordering more than 5K, although I don't recall the discount amounts or percentages.

Nothing against Angus but he (or anyone else for that matter) won't be able to get close to $50 or even $60 for 180 gr zeros. He better not or I'll be pissed. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Looking into "extreme" bullets, formerly known as West Coast. I used to shoot them and LOVE the shape. Those things fed like melted butter. The prices online are a little cheaper than others for 1k, I'll report back as to what they can do large order, delivered.

Looking into "extreme" bullets, formerly known as West Coast. I used to shoot them and LOVE the shape. Those things fed like melted butter. The prices online are a little cheaper than others for 1k, I'll report back as to what they can do large order, delivered.

Could you please post a link for the "formally known as West Coast" bullets? I have been looking ever since hearing they were back in business.

I checked in on Extreme / West Coast.

I loved those things, they were the best feeding shape EVER!!!

They are back, they are going to SHOT show, and alas…….they are WAY too expensive.

They come off their list prices about a dime if you order in bulk (lots of 25k and up).

180 gr .40’s still cost $66 per thou delivered.

Berry’s is still the best bet at about $10cheaper per thou, and for a HP.

The Berry's arrived by priority mail Friday. They are awesome. I have not fired them for groups yet, but they are SLICK, nice shape, same length as the zeroes, and load to the same length and pf without touching the press. If they'll group, I'm their new biggest fan.