Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 X 180gr Plated Or Jacketed

dirtypool40

I went and checked the Cabelas webpage today for these bullets. Looks like they've jacked the prices up a bit. The 180's were $13.50 just a week ago...now they're $16....for 250.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went and checked the Cabelas webpage today for these bullets. Looks like they've jacked the prices up a bit. The 180's were $13.50 just a week ago...now they're $16....for 250.

Great I need to get some buddy to help with a group buy :wacko:

Should have orderd last week :angry:

Just thought you all should know - 55$/1000 is less than half what we pay in Europe.

I'll second that !!

I've just bought 4 thousand .40s&w 180g Frontier TMJ yesterday at Bisley. I paid £46 ($83) per K and was very pleased with that price. My local dealer has qouted me a price of £60 ($108) per K.

You guys (and gals) are very fortunate living that side of the pond!

Just thought you all should know - 55$/1000 is less than half what we pay in Europe.

I'll second that !!

I've just bought 4 thousand .40s&w 180g Frontier TMJ yesterday at Bisley. I paid £46 ($83) per K and was very pleased with that price. My local dealer has qouted me a price of £60 ($108) per K.

You guys (and gals) are very fortunate living that side of the pond!

I'm paying 50.00 GBP for 1K 180g Frontier TMJ in N Ireland and its they're the only bullets that are available. Time to emigrate!!!!

still tumbling, gonna send bullets, loaded ammo and pulled bullets back to Berry's early next week.

I've tried them out of four different guns with no luck, so at this point I am not willing to blame a fincky AET.

I'm loading up my 2nd box of 2K now. So far, all the bullets I've miked out are .401 or better. I'm thinking that the moral of the story with Berrys is to pay the extra and wait a tad extra for the double struck.

So far, I'm extremely pleased and will probably order another 10 to 20K based on this.

everybody warns about high velocity and plated bullets, in my gun, its total BS, they shoot and shoot and shoot.

no tumbling or anything strange.

I did get the double struck though.

9mm major at 1400 fps.

I also never had a problem with the regular plated bullets in the 40.

Harmon

Well, I bought the regular 180 hp and have not had any problems. Maybe I just lucked out on the crimp. I've seen over crimped and under crimped bullets tumble. Mine have been fine so far(knock on wood). I'm on box number 5 right now (4000 fine so far and they chronoed at 173 @ the area 6 match).

everybody warns about high velocity and plated bullets, in my gun, its total BS, they shoot and shoot and shoot.

9mm major at 1400 fps.

Harmon

Harmon,

9 Major at 1400 fps (I assume 124 or 125 gr) - Are these Berry bullets or another brand? Have you tried Precision Delta?

F.S.

Guys, FWIW I really think the tumbling problem is due to a combination of fast powder and the crimp. I know I had lots of problems with 115 berrys/Rainer and Titegroup/CLAYS, but then I know I was over crimping and running them to around a 140PF. I think if you load them under a slower powder like 320. W231/HP38, and Universal Clays the results might be different. All you can do it try..... ;)

DougC

still tumbling, gonna send bullets, loaded ammo and pulled bullets back to Berry's early next week.

I've tried them out of four different guns with no luck, so at this point I am not willing to blame a fincky AET.

DP,

Are you sending them back so they can check them out and test? Or is it for a refund?

When you experience tumbling is it determined by the oblong holes in the target or is there some other noticeable difference? I'm sitting on 5k of the 180gr HP and may use them mostly for plate matches where I won't see any holes in the target. I'm assuming that accuracy will be noticeably off even at distances of 30ft, is this true?

Maybe I should consider sending them back and exchanging them for another bullet type that comes in double-struck, or just trade them for 45cal bullets...

-Cuz.

I'm loading up my 2nd box of 2K now. So far, all the bullets I've miked out are .401 or better. I'm thinking that the moral of the story with Berrys is to pay the extra and wait a tad extra for the double struck.

So far, I'm extremely pleased and will probably order another 10 to 20K based on this.

Eric,

The hollow points aren't offered in double-struck. Have to pick a different bullet type to get those.

-Cuz.

As I try to get back up to speed, I shoot more accuracy practice than hoser gun handling stuff, like that "head shot 21", step back drill. While I am not like Ron on those I regulary get a nice group in the head all the way back to 35y. I drop a couple but, back to 25y, I am all head, given enough time. I'd say conservatively 1.5" @25y. That's with Zeroes.

With this lot of Berry's I can't keep all the rounds on the WHOLE TARGET at 15y, let alone shoot a group. :(

I'm sending the samples of loaded rounds, pulled bullets and unloaded bullets back so they can evaluate them. I hate to spend the postage making USPS rich shipping stuff back and forth.

They've told me they will "make me happy" so I want to give them a chance to look at my load, crimp etc. But when I've tried them in four or five guns, they only shoot DECENT (3-4" @ 25y out of a G35) in one, and changing only the bullet in my load makes it a tack driver, I kinda think it's the bullets. :rolleyes:

They still mike AT THEIR WIDEST POINT as .400 or smaller, usually .395-.398". I have not had ANY over .400. I just wish they would err on the large side and all this would be a non-issue.

In other news, I don't think I mentioned here, they said they are working a new process that will improve consistency. Stay tuned.

Edited by dirtypool40

Cuz,

I bought the 180 gr. Flat Points, not the HP's - primarily because they were double struck and cheap. We bought 34K altogether and so far I haven't heard a peep about tumbling. Knock on wood....

In other news, I don't think I mentioned here, they said they are working a new process that will improve consistency. Stay tuned.

Good luck to you. Nothing is ever easy anymore...

-Cuz.

• 2 weeks later...

9mm major at 1400 fps.

Harmon

Harmon,

9 Major at 1400 fps (I assume 124 or 125 gr) - Are these Berry bullets or another brand? Have you tried Precision Delta?

F.S.

They are berrys 124 double struck, ive also shot the rainier 124 rn at the same speed,

Precision delta makes damn fine FMJ bullets, its a shame they dont make a hollow point or CMJ...i hate cleaning lead from the comp...

Precision delta makes damn fine FMJ bullets, its a shame they dont make a hollow point or CMJ...i hate cleaning lead from the comp...

I've been shooting some of their 124gr FMJs that I won at SCC. I gotta say, they're a bit strange. After looking through the box, the bullet noses have different profiles, one jacket had a slight cut in it, etc, etc. Not what I'd call "match grade" - maybe they donate the rejects to matches?? :D I truly appreciate their support of our sport - I haven't called them yet to find out if this is typical, etc, because I prefer to run a JHP as well - the HAP, in fact. But, FWIW, check yours out pretty close :) They make decent practice bullets, though, and that's what I've been using them for....

I'm surprised that you can drive Berry's to Major in 9mm and still keep jacket on it - pretty cool that it works :)

dave, i noticed that with SOME of the delta bullets ive shot, Not nearly as pretty as the HAP bullets, or montana gold...but they work and still shoot under 2 inches at 25 yards.

the berrys work for practice, or shooting steel, but for serious IPSC work, i use the zero 125 grainer..

The fastest ive shot the berrys were 1550 fps in the super but at 10 yards they were grouping like a pie plate...not tumbing, just not accurate. that was out of a 1/32 twist 4 port hybrid supercomp with SP2 powder.

Harmon

• 2 weeks later...
BTT bump.

Due to a SNAFU in shipping it took a while, but I got the new samples. I'll load some tonight and report tomorrow afternoon.

Are these the ones that are supposed to be .401 in diameter?

I'm anxiously awaiting your results as I've got about 7K bullets here and I'm not having much luck with them.

-Cuz.