.40 X 180gr Plated Or Jacketed

dirtypool40

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick testing shows the new ones work fine. He's going to "restrike" some for me at .401".

He also aknolwedged that .401" will probably work better for more folks in more guns, and will go to that in future runs.

• 4 weeks later...

More samples, more success.

He's asked if I / we need a hollowpoint design, or would we be happy with something else so long as it's accurate and and reliable. I said we just wanted reliable , accurate and cheap.

He sent me some samples of 200 gr rnfp and hp.

He's going to start sizing at .402". That should cure things.

Like a lot of us, he's not a fan of *ahem* some barrel makers making "snob barrels" that only shoot oversized bullets, and makes the somewhat obvious point of "jeez, why not just make a barrel that will shoot everything???" :rolleyes:

I don't know, but I want to use your bullets.....can you help me?

Anyhooo, testing continues, and I will let you know as things progress.

Edited by dirtypool40

Sheesh...just when I thought I had Berrys dialed in...the jackets on my 180's started peeling and the bullets started tumbling tonight. For some reason, the charge is a tad hotter off the 1050 than the 550. I *think* if I get the velocity around 950fps or below, I'll be golden. Otherwise, my next 20K of bullets are going to be the 200gr RNFP like I used to use. Those things ran great, shot soft, and were very accurate.

Thanks for jinxing me Eric! ;)

Just a question guys, what powder are you using with you’re Berrys?

My prices on Frontiers went up again so after seeing Dirtypool’s post about Berrys I went with them this time.

Mine are running at .400 to .405 (that is with calipers, sorry guys it’s the best I have).

Crimp is very important, after shooting frangible bullets for a few years (they break instead of just pealing the jacket) I learned not to over crimp. But you guys all know how to load so that is just stating the obvious.

The thing I noticed about plated bullets is powder. All the guys I shoot with run Paras with stock barrels. They are running fast powders and they are pealing jackets and leaving lead spray (best way I know how to describe it) on the targets. The only difference in our loads is the powder; I run Winchester Super Field and have none of these problems in two different Para barrels.

Just my observations, but I think it is something to look at.

PS thanks for the lead on Berrys Dirtypool, they are working out great for me.

PSS I am running 180gr hollowpoints at 1000fps, my powerfactor at Area 8 was 181.

My charts are listing WSF as slower then Universal Clays, but not by much.

The guys I shoot with are running Bullseye or a surplus Chinese powder that is close to Bullseye.

I was guessing that most people were running Titegroup or VV320 both of which are much faster then WSF or Universal Clays.

Maybe it’s the powder not the speed of the powder but that is just a guess. I tried WST with 9mm plated frontiers and had no luck with that either, but when I switched to WSF my groups closed up. I do not have a good reason for this, it’s just my experience.

Just a question guys, what powder are you using with you’re Berrys?

My prices on Frontiers went up again so after seeing Dirtypool’s post about Berrys I went with them this time.

PS thanks for the lead on Berrys Dirtypool, they are working out great for me.

PSS I am running 180gr hollowpoints at 1000fps, my powerfactor at Area 8 was 181.

No sweat bud, I told them that once they sorted this out, they would sell a bunch.

They are sending me my next 12k of .402 sized bullets this week. GREAT dealing with those folks, they owned up to the mistake and fixed it.

As to powder, I shoot Tight group, about 4.7 gr @ 1.200" oal for a 180gr.

OK,

I'm having absolutely no luck with the Berrys now. The 200's shot pretty good. There is nothing I can do to make the 180's work at all. Well...actually...they will work for the first few shots, then they scatter all over creation. It's the heat of the barrel. Once it warms up, there's no way to make them group.

And it's definitely the bullets. I switched over to Nosler 180gr JHP's and immediately went back to tearing out ragged holes.

I've got some Precision Deltas left. I'm going to group shoot them tomorrow AM. If they do, hellooooo Prec. Delta! I've wasted more doggone money trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t than I'll ever save by shooting Berrys. Stupid things shot EXCELLENT when it was cold this spring. Now I've got 5K of ammo that isn't good for anything besides bill drills....until winter hits I guess. (but if I believe in Global Warming, we're supposed to never have winter again :unsure:)

I shot 700 percision 185 molys over this week and have been very impressed.

Using a minor load 3.2 grains tite group in a 40 .one ragged hole

Note it has been very hot for MI 90's everyday no problems

For some reson I had bought and tried master blaster 200 and they tumbled like cray with a 3.0 charge.

I just returned 6000 Berry's 180gr HP's because they don't work in my AET barrel. Hopefully they will allow me to exchange them for some 230gr 45acp bullets. I'm going to buy myself 10K of Montana Gold 180gr JHPs and be done with this problem once and for all. Yeah they cost more, but they work and I don't have the time or money to deal with these problems.

-Cuz.

I've been using Berry's Plated bullets for about 8 years now. 9mms, .38/.357, .40/10mm, .41 Magnum. I tested the Raniers, National and a few of the polymer coated bullets. I've shot them through Glock factory barrels to tight match Bar-Sto barrels in several plastforms, and with a fairly decent crimp. I know I have shot at least 40,000 of them, probably more.

So I read this post with interest. I went a "remeasured" my Berry's in .40. My 135 RS was .401 from my current use and from the last batch also. My 165 FPs were also .401. My 180 RS were .402. This is what they have always been for me according to what I have now and my log books.

My IPSC load (G35 with a Bar-Sto Barrel) is 5.7 grains of WSF for a 170 PF. I use a Lee factory crimp die in the final station of my 650 and length is 1.130". For steel I use Clays pushing the 135 at just over 1000 fps. Both loads are very accurate. My .41 Magnum load uses Lil'Gun pushing the 210s at 1600 fps, sub 2" group at 50 yards. I have never had a tumbling problem.

Double Strike is a second sizing operation, not another plating operation.

Edited by MarkCO

Being an engineer, I am genetically predisposed to cheapness, but I figure that shooting better bullets will actually be less expensive in the end. The only way I can learn is if I can call my shots, and calling my shots with bargain bullets is getting to be one tough row to hoe.

======================================

MarkCO,

I'm glad they're working for you. I bought about 10 to 12K of Berry's 200's in 40 and they worked very well. Something clearly has changed in Berry's process because these 180's don't work for beans.

Well, I got my 10k x 200 plated hp, as replacements, and I"m testing them tomorrow.

They were supposed to give me the same price, but somehow it worked out to $64/k delivered this time, so I am rapidly losing my sense of humor about all this. <_<

Well, I got my 10k x 200 plated hp, as replacements, and I"m testing them tomorrow.

They were supposed to give me the same price, but somehow it worked out to $64/k delivered this time, so I am rapidly losing my sense of humor about all this. <_<

DP40,

Why the switch to 200gr? Aren't they the same size as the 180s? Please keep me informed as you start to shoot them.

Thanks,

-Cuz (feeling your pain).

Some years back I played with all or most of the plated bullets out there. I know there are more on the market now but the process is just the same, anything under 950 FPS seemed to work pretty good, as long as they were sized right. Anything with a dished base worked better.

It seems the most regular problem is the jackets stripping under velocity, it an inconsistent deal, it is something to do with the bonding process on the bullets.

I worked with a guy in Spain who was making swaged soft lead bullets we had a lot of luck but their were still fliers.

Some bullets are worse then other, ask the guy who tried to shoot manufactured ammo in South Africa. Terrible results.

Similar deal with the ammo supplier at world shoot and they were jacketed bullets.

I saw people who could not hold the TARGET at 20 yards let a lone a group.

I finally made the decision many years ago that hard lead or jacked was the way to go. I hate the dirt smell and lead fumes of lead so finally made the full switch to jacked bullets.

Now there are a bunch out there (I know I sell Zero) but many different makers have great jacketed bullets. So they cost little or maybe even a lot more but think of the trouble you all could have saved yourselves.

Get a sample test them, shoot them and always check the group size from time to time

my 0.02

• 3 weeks later...