Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 X 180gr Plated Or Jacketed

dirtypool40

Berry's is all I use. I haven't been able to find a better deal and they group great in my guns.

The double struck bullets are the only ones that I have ever used. 180gr with 4.7gr of TightGroup makes about 170 PF in my gun. I don't know if any of the open shooters are using them.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally test fired some yesterday, ran 100% and grouped like the Zeros they are replacing.

I LOVE how clean these things are to load. No lead mess or grime.

Ten drops were giving me 49.0 grains of powder and 980 fps for a pf of 176.4 so I dropped things down to 47.5 grains for ten drops, or 4.75 grains per, and a pf hanging just under 170.

Edited by dirtypool40

Sounds good DP,

I dont know how they'd shoot in my Glock, but Ive been getting pretty good prices for 9mm stuff from Henry Swartout and Angus. I just picked up several thousand 9mm 147's JHP from Swartout for $50 a thousand at Fl Open.

I got the others from Angus for $53/thousand for 147gr 9mm jack, delivered. The groups seem OK though, huh?

yup, best group yesterday was at 28 paces, I could cover four of them with an "OK" sign. Standing handheld, right at dusk. I'm sure they are more accurate than I can hold. That's about as good as I have ever grouped.

I think there was something up on their website about how the jacket is hard and the lead is soft so they would work as a defense hollowpoint in a pinch. Just anecdotal, but it was by some bullet designer guy like Pi or someone. Yes, I know not to carry my loads.

For 9mm minor, I'd probably just buy off the rack. But if you want to load, I'm sure lighter 9mm bullets will beat the $55/k delivered price I got on 180's.

If you're coming down to the mini-open this weekend, I should be there both days, and have some to look at. If you have a .40 glock and want to try some I will load you some short to play with.

With regard to the Cabela's Berry's bullets--On the website they show Berry's 180 in FP @ $13.49, RS @ $14.49 and HP @ $15.99. All are Per 250. Also the website lists them as Berry's Preferred, but no indication of double struck.

I just ordered a 550 from Brian, along with everything else needed to load including the digital scale. Amazing how a $330 reloader turned into $930 when it is all added up! Never reloaded volume pistol ammo before, only rifle and .454 on a single stage.

For our needs, I assume the decision is FP or RS, not HP. Is there really a difference between FP or RS? Preferences?

Are the Berry's Preferred good enough or do I need to find the "double struck"?

The reason I am leaning towards Cabela's is I am close to one of the original Nebraska stores and can pick up. No shipping.

On another note, by reading the archives, it seems most are running over TG. Coming in cold, with nothing on the shelf to draw from, is this the best powder to start with if I have nothing?

This is for a .40 STI Executive.

I think the "double struck" are just swaged or sized a second time.

I wanted the length of the HP for a given weight. Also I have heard from damn near ever body that the longer HP are more accurate than a regular FMJ, and some were designed just for that, accuracy, not expanding.

Mine are not "double struck", just plated HP, and they group as well as more expensive zeroes out of my gun.

I don't know if that helped, but they are nice bullets.

I think the "double struck" are just swaged or sized a second time.

Supposedly, they are double plated, helping to eliminate the problem some folks saw with the plating peeling off under fire....

Dirtypool40

what overall lenght did you load to? I just bought a used dillon 650. I have never reloaded before so I am gathering as much info as I can before purchasing components. This is my first post on this forum also. Lots of good onfo on this site.

DP,

How does that many come packaged. 500 ct boxes, 1000 ct boxes, or one big barrel? I'd hate to get that many and not be able to move them out of my drive way. If your planning on making St. Augustine this month could I buy 100 unloaded from you to test? I like buying Zeros from Ray, but they are going to $74K this month. Were these the HP you were able to get for $55K delivered?

Thanks.

Guys,

here's the info I got. Delivered it worked out to around $55/k. They come in 2k boxes and are delivered via priority mail, so have a beer ready for the postman.

dvc

dp40. B)

Subject: interest in bulk order

Eric,

We can give you the club pricing for bullet orders of 20M or more in

any combination. The 40/180 HP will be $47.99 a thousand and the RS will

be $47.49 a thousand. That is not a freight paid price however we can

ship 2M of that bullet in a flat rate box for $9.50. For example the freight

for 20M will be $95.00.

If you have any other questions please let me know,

Sheila

Berrys Mfg. Inc.

sales@berrysmfg.com

Edited by dirtypool40

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
my GS said 1.200 so that's where I load em'. I'm going to try some short, minor loads soon, but they work fine out long.

DP,

Hopefully you've been shooting the Berry's for a bit now. Do you still like them? Would you get them again?

Do you know if the copper coated bullets will work in a Scheumann AET barrel?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

• 1 month later...

Eric,

I would be very interested in hearing what diameter your bullets mic out to. Mine all were .4012" to .4018" in the lot that I tested. But we ponied up for the doublestruck, which may help explain the better consistency.

E

Erik -

.3985" - .400". The Zero's I have mike out at .3995 - .400

I spun the bullet in the caliper to find the widest part.

The guy at Berry's said they are sized at the back, so I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd say average in a "bad" lot is .3992.

Here again, they seem pretty consistent, I just wish they would err on teh large side, then we wouldn't have this problem. You slide this all to the right, and make the large .4015 and the small .400 you have a useable spread.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted about the resolution.

es

These are Berry's I recoverd

I have shot quite a few berry's over the last year.

Tite group for minor or major works great.

The Hp will not expand(I will post a pic at the bottom threw water hitting my auto reset ext.)

The jacket is quite thick for plated and the price is great just need to get somebody to split an order with anyone in MI ordering?

post-5716-1147697851_thumb.jpg

Edited by R/T Performance

I had the tumbling problem with the first Berry 180's that I shot in my SV with a Scheuman barrel. They had a very light crimp per the suggestions found on this site.

I recrimped 50 rounds to .006 crimp yesterday. The tumbling problem has been eliminated. I also pulled a couple of bullets and could see no sign of the plating cracking or seperating.