Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah!!

Same weekend as the RM 3-Gun in Raton, N.M

That's what I noticed right away, too.

I may have to do some thinking on this one. Drive 20+ hours to RO the RM3-gun again with all the perks provided by JP or drive 3 1/2 hours for a pistol only match in WI?

Gonna be a tough decision.

:(

Hello All,

My name is Ronnie Casper and I'll be acting as the Match Director for the 2006 Area 5 Championship. I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and give a quick update about the match. As already stated, the match will be held at the Holmen Rod & Gun Club in Holmen, WI on Aug 25-27. Holmen is about 15 minutes from La Crosse, a city with a pop. of approx. 50,000. I'm currently the Match Director of Holmen Practical Shooters and Wisconsin 3-Gun, holding monthly matches at the Holmen Rod & Gun. Holmen has been the site of the last 3 WI IDPA State Championships. For pictures of our range or previous matches, please check our website at: http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/ , check for the pictures listed under Holmen or La Crosse. I'm also the webmaster of that site. Enough about me.

The current list of staff for the match:

Jay Rock - Assistant MD and Stats Officer. Jay is the Match Director of Springbrook Practical Shooters and Stats Officer for several of the clubs in Wisconsin.

Perry Wilson - Range Master. Perry needs no introduction, as I'm sure you are all familiar with him and how capable he is for the job.

Lori Casper - Registation. As you may guess from the name, Lori's my wife and shooting partner.

Tom Helbig - Staff member. Tom will be handling t-shirts orders and various other duties.

Mark Thole - Sponsorship. Mark will be contacting the sponsors and assembling the prize table.

Mark Miller - Awards. Mark is a former IDPA Match Director and the owner of Mach 2 Tactical http://www.m2tactical.com/ , maker of some of the finest holsters on the market. Mark has made awards for some of our other events and will be providing awards for the match.

If you have experience and would like to offer help, advice, or ideas, please let me know.

We will be assembling more staff members as time goes on, along with our CRO/RO staff. We've had many offers for help with the CRO/RO staff and would like to thank those who have already stepped up. Anyone that wishes to help can contact me or Perry. Perry will be making all decisions on the staffing of the ROs.

We are still in the planning stages and will be releasing more details at a later date. We'll have information posted on both the http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/ and http://www.uspsa-area5.org/ websites.

Thanks,

Ronnie Casper

A-52480

Just as a FYI for those interested about the registration.

The registration for this match will be done through the USPSA Area 5 website. You will fill out all of your competitor information, amount of apparel you wish to order and the site will generate a page for you to print and send with your payment. Included will show a total amount due including the match fee and any apparel ordered. This way there is no confusion on which shirt costs what and how much extra for the jumbo sizes that fit me!

Also, while the information will be sent to the match officials, another copy will be stored locally (and securely) on the server so that information can be gathered as it becomes available and so that stats doesn't get bombarded with 50 applications in a single day.

As Ronnie said, keep tuned to this forum, the WI shooters homepage and the USPSA Area 5 site as information becomes available. Believe it or not, August is just around the corner!! :)

Might be nice to know of any central Indiana shooters going to this match so that we might squad together. My very early childhood was in the Union Grove , WI area. I could act as the translator for the squad. (still at times have the accent)

J.Alley , Kokomo, IN.

Might be nice to know of any central Indiana shooters going to this match so that we might squad together. My very early childhood was in the Union Grove , WI area. I could act as the translator for the squad. (still at times have the accent)

J.Alley , Kokomo, IN.

John

I am planning on going to it, I am sure we can work out travel and squading with a few other people as well.

Jake Martens

jakemartens@aol.com

WOW, Did someone on this big internet forum just admit to gowing up in U.G. WI? Didn't think I would see the day. J. Alley, I live in Waterford, just a stones throw away from U.G. The only accent you have is from living in Indiana. See ya at Holmen.

Tom Mainus

WOW, Did someone on this big internet forum just admit to gowing up in U.G. WI? Didn't think I would see the day. J. Alley, I live in Waterford, just a stones throw away from U.G. The only accent you have is from living in Indiana. See ya at Holmen.

Tom Mainus

I was planning on doing the translation of the Hoosier's coming to town for all the folks in Wisconsin. I will have to admit my Wisconsin accent is all but gone, still have some relatives in the state, most have gone to Fl. (Since I am the youngest of 5 that makes my siblings REALLY old)

I spoke with Perry Wilson thtis past weekend, and he said the range this will be held at is HUGE. Since it is in Wisconsin can people use golf carts, or will they have to ride a cow?

I went to school in Da Point for 4 years, so I speek da pretty Wisconsinese. Oh yah, load and make ready der, don't yah know.

I spoke with Perry Wilson thtis past weekend, and he said the range this will be held at is HUGE.

I had the pleasure of taking Perry's Level 1 RO class a couple of weeks ago at Holmen. I'm on the club board and the webmaster for the club's website. You can view some maps of the club by going to the links below.

Map of the range

Map as a PDF (11x17)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I plan to attend from the Great State of Illinois. My son might also be attending, if he can get off work.

After to talking with M. Carmoney I think I will be bringing my revolver along. (Just in case the History Channel is doing a documentary.)

Can anyone tell what the hardship will be in getting a spot for this shoot? I have been talking with others about the Nats, but not this shoot. What did the entry fee run for 2005?

Any locals recommend the best area to look for hotels? Any areas to avoid?

Looking forward to August,

Jim

Hello,

I plan to attend from the Great State of Illinois. My son might also be attending, if he can get off work.

After to talking with M. Carmoney I think I will be bringing my revolver along. (Just in case the History Channel is doing a documentary.)

Can anyone tell what the hardship will be in getting a spot for this shoot? I have been talking with others about the Nats, but not this shoot. What did the entry fee run for 2005?

Any locals recommend the best area to look for hotels? Any areas to avoid?

Looking forward to August,

Jim

I am only GUESSING, but I would think that the match fee would be between $100 and $125. If your son is a Junior, there will probably be some sort of discount. That is how it has been IN THE PAST. As for a slot, get it as early as you can to insure you get the date you wish to shoot. They MAY use the online squadding feature which enables you to log on and schedule yourself AFTER your application has been sent in and processed. As for hotels, I would email Ronnie Casper (see his posts above) and ask him about hotels. I am not sure how many they have or availability. I will be there working and wheelgunning also, and can't wait to meet you and your son. Nice to see you are coming!!!

Jeff

Aerosigns--

Make sure you watch out for Barrettone at A-5, he likes to tell the wheelgunners that the stage he's working is a "lost moonclip" stage! :)

Should be a good revolver match this year--some pretty strong round gun talent within a few hours drive of the venue.

Mike

UPDATE!

We are anticipating accepting applications around the 1st of the year. There are just a few details that are still being worked out. Here's a preview of the match structure that'll be included with the waiver. http://wisconsinshooters.com/documents/uspsa/Area_5.pdf

Registration will be done online, with thanks going to Jeffrey Ferguson for setting this up for us. Self-squadding will also be done online. La Crosse is the closest city with plenty of lodging, all major chains. We are currently working a deal with the match hotel.

Thanks,

Ronnie Casper

715-896-1965

I would recommend staying away from "The Brookstone". I have stayed there and it is dirty. They didn't even clean the bathroom. :huh: I won't go into any of the nasty details. Just trust me, for $85 a night you should be able to come up with something with clean bathrooms! <_<

Will there be a reduced match fee for junior shooters?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Yes, there will be a reduced entry fee of $75.00 for Junior shooters. The match structure posted earlier now reflects this, it was one of the details we were still working out. We look forward to seeing you at the match.

BTW, we have a couple of pictures of Sam taken at the "04" Missouri State IDPA on our website. Here's the link, if interested http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/idpa_matc..._state_2004.htm

Thanks,

Ronnie

Just a quick sidebar.

I guess I should clarify. My son is 25. So he will be paying full boat on his own. <_<

Mike C. - we were laughing after seeing his pictures in Front Sight. He looks to be in fine form. What we thought was funny is I have pictures of my son at that age shooting in matches, and they look identical. My son turned out well, considering the shady characters he has grown up around on the range.

He started shooting Illinois Police Association combat & bullseye matches with me when he was 13. When he was 14 we placed in the top three as a team every match we shot that year.

I really think the shooting sports foster a positive mental attitude in young people.

Maybe one of these days we will all meet, and my son can tell your son to run while he still can.

Jim

Ronnie: Excellent--I'll be there for sure, and hope to bring Sammy along as well, if I can negotiate it around all his various school/sports/music/scouts activities! Thanks for the reduced junior fee--it definitely makes it a little easier on those of us who are "sponsoring" the junior.

Jim: OK, OK, so your kid's bigger than my kid..... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

The 2006 Area 5 Championship is now ready to accept applications. This link http://2006.uspsa-area5.org/ will take you directly to the registration page. Thanks goes out again to Jeffrey Ferguson for setting this up.

The match hotel will be the Best Western Midway Hotel (608-781-7000)

A limited number of rooms are reserved under the group name of "2006 Area 5 Match". Please remember to mention the group name when registering.

Special Room Rate

$59.00/night Sunday - Thursday

$69.00/night Friday & Saturday

Hotel website: http://www.midwayhotels.com/la_crosse/index.cfm

Self-squadding will be available on the USPSA website.

You can also check our websites for additional info and updates at:

http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/uspsa_area_5_match.htm

http://www.uspsa-area5.org

Thanks,

Ronnie Casper

Edited by Ronnie Casper

A quick bit of info on the squadding.

The online registration simply gives you a printable form to mail with your payment. Upon reciept of payment by stats, you will be emailed your PIN in order to squad yourself. The information submitted by the form is recorded so that we can have a general idea of who's registered thus far.

If you some how get your first printable form mangled, email me and I can reset the database file for you so that you can resubmit the registration form so that you may print another.

If you have a problem registering, and no one else can help, maybe you can e-mail The A-Team :lol:

• 5 months later...

I'm shooting on Sunday. My friends Tom and John traveled to A2 last year and I thought it might be fun to try out a different area match. 154 entrys so far. It's interesting that Sevigny is showing LTD and Julie is showing L-10. What div are you shooting?

Later,

Chuck