Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In your personal experience, has moving from a 1-6x to a 1-8x (or even 1-10x) made a huge difference?

thegeneric

20 hours ago, PacMan said:

For 3 gunning, 1-4, 1-5 and maybe 1-6x.  Great glass in a 1-4x is much better than mediocre glass at 1-8.  I went from 1X, to 1.5-8x DFP, and back to 1-5x SFP and it is in a sweet spot for me.

A true 1x is absolutely more important than the high end of the magnification range.

21 hours ago, PacMan said:

For 3 gunning, 1-4, 1-5 and maybe 1-6x.  Great glass in a 1-4x is much better than mediocre glass at 1-8.  I went from 1X, to 1.5-8x DFP, and back to 1-5x SFP and it is in a sweet spot for me.

Any recommendations for a 1-5x?

• 1 year later...
On 9/22/2021 at 7:46 PM, DavidSeavey said:

I have a Steiner p4xi 1-4 that has fantastic glass for the money, i bought it for $400 years ago and wish i'd bought 2 at that price. Steiner also makes a T5xi 1-5 that might be worth looking through.

+1. I purchased mine  years ago also for close to that price. Fantastic glass and good build quality. Generous eye box and very simple and effective reticle with daylight bright dot. I'm still on the hunt for a true 1x that is as fast as this but  gives me 6x or possibly 8x magnification. 

• 3 months later...

I ran a Razor HD Gen 2 E 1-6x for a bit. The glass and eyebox on those is phenomenal but it's let down by the stiffest magnification ring I've ever seen and also being very heavy and bulky for something sitting on top of an AR. 

I've got a Trijicon Accupoint TR25 1-6x atop the game gun now. Awesome scope. A few oz. lighter than the Razor HD-E, similar optical performance, and much better controls, for me anyway. 

I also just got one of the Primary Arms SLx Gen IV 1-6x Nova scopes and it's fantastic for the money ($339 as of this post). It supplanted an old Steiner P4Xi I had (heresy?). It has the brightest illumination I have ever seen on a LPVO. The eye-box on 1x is excellent, and plenty usable at 6x. I will drag it through a few matches this year. I prefer it over the Viper PST Gen 2, which I also ran for a bit. It is really head and shoulders above the Strike Eagle and Gen 1 PST 1-4x.

6x is the upper end of useful to me. Most of the time I don't bump it up that far... eye relief/cheekweld gets "iffy" at those magnifications and is even worse on FFP or higher magnification optics. Very occasionally, 6x is nice to have.

Market seems to have shifted to FFP and higher-mag "LPVOs" but I wish it hadn't. If I could get an updated TR24 1-4x that was as good optically as the TR25 and shaved off 5 oz....I would snap one up in a heartbeat. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, mmchambers06 said:

I ran a Razor HD Gen 2 E 1-6x for a bit. The glass and eyebox on those is phenomenal but it's let down by the stiffest magnification ring I've ever seen and also being very heavy and bulky for something sitting on top of an AR. 

I believe I read that the razor zoom ring is stiff because it’s over-greased inside. If you pull the ring and remove some of the grease (not all) it significantly lightens the throw. I haven’t done that because with my switch throw I don’t feel it’s too heavy. But that’s an option.

• 1 month later...