Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

8 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

FWIW, N320 runs better in my 10" barrel (plus comp) while N350 runs better in the 14.5" barrel  (plus comp).  Slower powder seems to work better with longer barrels

YMMV..

That makes total sense.  I just don't want to spend the funds to shorten the barrel of the JP5 and make it an NFA item.  I will work on finding the right factory round and lock piece to make it soft.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

That makes total sense.  I just don't want to spend the funds to shorten the barrel of the JP5 and make it an NFA item.  I will work on finding the right factory round and lock piece to make it soft.

My 10" barrel is actually a 16.25" barrel including the permanently attached comp, so the gun is not an NFA item, but works like a shorter barreled gun.

https://taccom3g.com/product/1016-super-feed-barrel-9mm/

Do sloped cassette triggers work in the JP5?

Considering the JPFC-MF is an option for the JP5 in the build options (which is a sloped cassette), does that mean triggers like Rise Armament, Timney, etc with slopped cassettes work? And do they have to be PCC specific or not?

18 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Considering the JPFC-MF is an option for the JP5 in the build options (which is a sloped cassette), does that mean triggers like Rise Armament, Timney, etc with slopped cassettes work? And do they have to be PCC specific or not?

The JP triggers are designed to work with the ejector on the JP-5. That's the major consideration on physical space limitations in the -5. 

IMO there's no point in really dealing with anything else. The JP trigger works extremely well and it's already installed when you order one. 

19 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

I put a Geissele SD3G trigger in. I also had to replace the factory safety as it didn’t work with the SD3G trigger. I put a battlearms development 60 degree safety in. The factory trigger pins requires a T10 torx and heat to remove the retention screws. It was fun taking a torch to my brand new gun…. I also replaced the factory retention pins with rise armament retention pins. I tried normal pins and the hammer pin kept popping out

F7D34643-A454-42DA-805E-E40F60D696A9.jpeg

I did the same - installed an SD3G and radian safeties and it's run flawlessly from reloads, to factory stuff to some steel ammo just to see how it handles it.  At least so far....been a few thousand round with minimal cleaning.  So...we'll see?

8 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

The JP triggers are designed to work with the ejector on the JP-5. That's the major consideration on physical space limitations in the -5. 

IMO there's no point in really dealing with anything else. The JP trigger works extremely well and it's already installed when you order one. 

I just want to be able to use a 45* safety. If JP had 45 or 60* safeties, I probably wouldn't bother asking this question lol.

Edited by mrvip27
7 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I did the same - installed an SD3G and radian safeties and it's run flawlessly from reloads,

I did the same.  I am running the Radian safety in the 45 degree orientation.

The only issue I have had with the gun is would seem my ammo was not hot enough to run the 70 degree lock piece.  So I am back to the 80 degree lock piece for reliability.  I have some Precision Delta 147 gr JHP V2s waiting to be loaded to play around with them.  

10 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Thats what mine came with.  I'm waiting on a 70 for factory 124s.....

When you test watch your ejection pattern and keep an eye on it.  Mine ran fine a couple of months on the 124 and then choked on them using the 70 degree.  Observing the ejection pattern you could tell the delay was too long creating issues with the 124 gr and 70 degree lock piece.

18 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

When you test watch your ejection pattern and keep an eye on it.  Mine ran fine a couple of months on the 124 and then choked on them using the 70 degree.  Observing the ejection pattern you could tell the delay was too long creating issues with the 124 gr and 70 degree lock piece.

Are you talking about factory 124s or low power factor handloaded 124s?  And you found that they ran better with the 80 degree lock piece?

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Define choke please?  If I'm reading the JP sight correctly, the hotter the ammo, the lower the degree needed to keep it soft?

Also, I haven't enjoyed a gun this much in a very long time.  It actually reminds me of my first Wilson Combat in .38 Super which got me going in USPSA in 2008.  If you are on the fence about buying one of these, get your order in.....you won't regret it.

IMG_1822.jpeg

39 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Define choke please?  If I'm reading the JP sight correctly, the hotter the ammo, the lower the degree needed to keep it soft?

Also, I haven't enjoyed a gun this much in a very long time.  It actually reminds me of my first Wilson Combat in .38 Super which got me going in USPSA in 2008.  If you are on the fence about buying one of these, get your order in.....you won't regret it.

IMG_1822.jpeg

Yes lower degree locking piece for hotter ammo. 

The term choke is reffering to have to much delay aka too low of a locking piece and there wont be enough energy to push the bcg back and fully cycle the gun. It would start to have failures. 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

IMG_1822.jpeg

Close call as to what costs more the JP-5 or all your ammo! What do you think of the weight of your Eotech on the JP? 

20 minutes ago, GJM said:

Close call as to what costs more the JP-5 or all your ammo! What do you think of the weight of your Eotech on the JP? 

The whole rig is super light, though I have not weighed it.  I've decided to master changing shoulders rather than adding optics/lasers.

8 hours ago, DwightSchrute said:

Are you talking about factory 124s or low power factor handloaded 124s?  And you found that they ran better with the 80 degree lock piece?

PF of my 124 gr out of my pistols was at 138-140 when I was using the 70 degree lock piece.  I have heard the JP barrel is a slow barrel, so maybe the barrel is slowing the bullet down, but I would think that would help unlock sooner.  I have not had the chance to check PF of my 124 gr ammo out of the JP.  The weird part is the gun ran fine for like two months and then started having issues.  I am running FMJ so I am curious if leading could be a possible culprit, but I really have to had time to figure it out.  

I really like the lack of dot movement with the sub sonic 147 gr coated bullets I have, but I will not run coated bullets through my PCCs.  Personal preference in I have the lead build up.

For now I intend to run the 80 degree lock piece until I have to time to work up some dedicated JP5 loads.  Both 124 gr and 147 gr to see which I like better.

Edited by Boomstick303
22 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

PF of my 124 gr out of my pistols was at 138-140 when I was using the 70 degree lock piece.  I have heard the JP barrel is a slow barrel, so maybe the barrel is slowing the bullet down, but I would think that would help unlock sooner.  I have not had the chance to check PF of my 124 gr ammo out of the JP.  The weird part is the gun ran fine for like two months and then started having issues.  I am running FMJ so I am curious if leading could be a possible culprit, but I really have to had time to figure it out.  

I really like the lack of dot movement with the sub sonic 147 gr coated bullets I have, but I will not run coated bullets through my PCCs.  Personal preference in I have the lead build up.

For now I intend to run the 80 degree lock piece until I have to time to work up some dedicated JP5 loads.  Both 124 gr and 147 gr to see which I like better.

So you're losing performance the more you shoot the same ammo..?

Regarding running light loads on the ragged edge of a lock piece performance (e.g. light 124's in 70 degree lock): Any time you try to get to the edge you're reducing the operating window. 

I ran an 80 degree lock piece with 20+ types of ammo totaling multiple tens of thousands of rounds over multiple years. There IS a reason JP ships the JP-5's with the 80 degree lock piece. 

The 70, 60 and other angle lock pieces are optional for various goals. The 60 degree is a more duty ammo specific item. The 70 degree is more for factory loads, but can be used for ragged edge performance for USPSA power factor loads in some cases. Don't expect any lock piece to defy physics

If anyone needs help building out anything but wants specific advice, shoot me a PM. 

16 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

So you're losing performance the more you shoot the same ammo..?

In all honesty I have no idea. I have not flushed out all of the possibilities. One possibility is I am using clean Shot powder in my PCC Ammo. It was a cooler day being in the 40s vs 75-80 when the ammo performed with a PF of 135-140.  I have no idea if Clean Shot is temp sensitive. I need to figure that at as well for various reasons.  Could it be to tacky lube due to temperatures dropping?  Due to a combination of things?  All I do know is the ejection pattern was different than it was before. 

To my surprise I had issues where I did not before. With the 80 degree lock piece the gun has not missed a beat.  It eats everything. 

To run different lock pieces you most likely need to watch your setup more closely as you are running closer the the edge of reliability as mentioned above. 

I put that out there for everyone to be mindful when using different lock pieces and what to look for.