Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match prep

Brian_E

Need some advice as I prep for my first level 1.  I read where the production division is where to “start”. Also, type of ammo to bring? Very excited to start this new hobby but seems intimidating. Lol

sorry for the dumb questions but I’m a true newbie to this sport.

1 hour ago, Brian_E said:

Need some advice as I prep for my first level 1.  I read where the production division is where to “start”. Also, type of ammo to bring? Very excited to start this new hobby but seems intimidating. Lol

Production division is where to start if you have at least five magazines and at least four magazine pouches.  You can't load more than 10 rounds in your magazines in Production division, and with most stages needing at least 28 to 32 shots, you'll need more than the two or three mags that most people have.

If you only have two or three mags and pouches, sign up for Limited division if your pistol has iron sights or for Carry Optics division if your pistol had a red dot sight.  You can fill your magazines up to capacity in either of those divisions.

As far as ammo goes, just any cheap ammo loaded with full metal jacket bullets will be fine.  Don't waste your money on "match" ammunition.  It's absolutely not necessary for what we do.

Take at least 150 rounds.  200 is better.  It's easier to take the leftovers home than to beg for ammo or withdraw before finishing.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Go to a match to observe and question. It will help!

54 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Production division is where to start if you have at least five magazines and at least four magazine pouches.  You can't load more than 10 rounds in your magazines in Production division, and with most stages needing at least 28 to 32 shots, you'll need more than the two or three mags that most people have.

If you only have two or three mags and pouches, sign up for Limited division if your pistol has iron sights or for Carry Optics division if your pistol had a red dot sight.  You can fill your magazines up to capacity in either of those divisions.

As far as ammo goes, just any cheap ammo loaded with full metal jacket bullets will be fine.  Don't waste your money on "match" ammunition.  It's absolutely not necessary for what we do.

Take at least 150 rounds.  200 is better.  It's easier to take the leftovers home than to beg for ammo or withdraw before finishing.

Thank you for this!

This is not a dumb question.  I wish I would have done more before attending my first match.

Above all else, know what the commands are, wait for commands and abide by the commands. 

Practice make ready and how to safely holster your pistol when you finish your course of fire.  Understand what all of the commands in regards to "Making Ready" and holstering your pistol once you have completed your course of fire.  Remember the first thing to do when you walk to the line at the start position, to face directly down range regardless of what the direction the ideal starting position is when the buzzer goes off and just stand their until you hear the make ready command.  Some start position may require you to not face directly down range.  Say if you are a right handed shooter and the start position has you facing the left berm, your natural hand position to load and make ready could possibly make you break the 180 when inserting the magazine resulting in a DQ.  Ask me how I know.  Also when you complete your course of fire face directly down range to holster your pistol to prevent a DQ.  As being a shooter at their first match nerves can make you go a little brain dead.  The more ingrained physical movements that are required the less likely they will be to make mistakes.  

Create a make ready routine and how to safely unload and holster your pistol.  Make this routine something you do every time.  Dry fire this routine.  A LOT.   The more comfortable you are with you manual of arms, loading and unloading your pistol the more comfortable your RO will be.  If you are unsure in your manual of arms or nervous in your actions, the more uncomfortable your RO will be.

Also if a start position has you placing magazines and/or gun on barrels, drums, benches, etc as a start position I recommend not touching anything on your belt until the RO gives you the make ready command.  I have seen a new shooter start placing his magazines on the drum, then his gun on the barrel because he watched others more seasoned shooters place their magazines on the drum in preparation for their "Make Ready" command.  He had not yet received his make ready command therefore he was DQ'd. 

I would say being a new shooter just let the round drop to the ground.  Later you can decide if catching the round is something you are comfortable doing without sweeping yourself.  Yes people have sweped themselves catching their last round when unloading.

Do not play with your gun.  I have seen a newbie get DQ for improper gun handling before we even started the match.  Not sure if it was nerves or a habit, but he pulled his gun out of the holster an inch and pushed it right back down.  You can here that click in Kydex/Plastic holsters load as day if there is no shooting going on.

Watch shooters during the walk through while you are waiting in line.  You can usually vet out who knows what they are doing (usually).  If you have questions approach one or more of the people who look like they have a clue and tell them you are a new shooter and you would like some help.  Have specific questions if you approach them.  With that said, listen to the shooting order not just for yourself on where you are in the order but also for others that are getting ready to shoot.  Do not bother any shooter that is on Deck or in the hole.  They are most likely visualizing their stage plan.  Interrupting them is interrupting their process.  

Also when you are walking through the stage exit through the back and around the edge of the stage if possible.  While the squad is shooting the stage, the on deck shooter has the stage.  DO NOT perform walk throughs of the stage is you are not the next shooter.  It is considered rude.  

Be a good squad mate.  Paste targets, reset/paint steel, etc.  Do not stand around a do nothing.

If you have any questions or need clarification on anything PM me.  I would be glad to help.

I know you are excited to attend your first match but I highly recommend what @ChuckSmentioned above by watching a match before participating in one.  Not required but you will be glad you did.   

Good Luck

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You can never have too much ammo.  Not having enough SUCKS!!!!

Thank you for this!

Your homework is to download the USPSA rulebook and read chapter 8 entirely and sections 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5.

Then ask us questions about anything you don't understand about those sections.  They contain about 95% of what a new shooter needs to know to be safe.  If you go to your first match already familiar with all that, you'll be better prepared than probably 95% of the first time shooters I see.

Pack everything the day before so you don't forget anything. Let the match director that you are new and most people are going to help you get squared away. If you aren't shooting or the shooter on deck be sure to help paste and reset. Be mindful of the safety rules and do your best to focus on the process and enjoying yourself. Don't suffer in silence and don't be scared to ask for help, USPSA has some great people and a very supportive community. 

• 2 weeks later...

All of the above!!  Not sure where you shoot but it’s a pretty good bet that if you indicate to someone your a new shooter,  it’s highly likely someone will step out to help you get thru the day.  If you can, see if at least for the first stage you can be placed near the bottom of the list and pay attention to every shooter before you to insure you have a good grasp on the stage.  Don’t worry about how someone else shoots the stage, worry about how you can shoot it to fit your comfort level.  Your nerves will will get the best of you when that buzzer goes off so make it as easy on yourself as possible.  Above all,  know what it takes to be safe!!  

As an anecdote, my first ever stage ever was a classifier with Freehand, strong hand, weak hand, and reloads as well as Virginia count.  When I was done the R.O. Looked at me and said,  “I’m not sure how to even score that mess” .  We both had a good laugh and the rest of the day went much better and today, many from that squad are my monthly shooting buddies now!  The point is,  make friends have fun and don't let the experience overwhelm…

• 1 month later...

Before I started shooting in competition I went to several matches asked a lot of questions, watched and learned about the sport before shooting any matches.  I also went over the rules before shooting my first match.  I also took great from my match director.  He said that I will see shooters that are very fast and others who are not.  Do not try to keep up with the fast shooters your first time out.  First learn how to move through the stage with your pistol in a safe direction at all times, make sure your shots are on target, make sure you are following the rules of the sport, and last have fun.

Edited by S&W686