Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues with hammer not dropping

Bravo_Victor

Ok so the issue is lets say i shoot about 2-300 rounds, every so often i will have this issue. I will pull the trigger and it wont fire. When this happens, without releasing the trigger, If i put ALOT of pressure on it, it may or may not go off. However sometimes if i release it, the hammer will drop into half cock. Only thing i attempted to do was back the set screw out all the way to prevent it from hitting the mag release and possibly causing something to hit the trigger. I cannot recreate this through dry fire. Everything else in the gun functions just fine. I dont get the common hammer follow issue of the hammer falling as the slide goes forward. Before i start messing around, id like to see what everyone says. Im assuming its something with the sear/sear spring tension? 

However a buddy of mine suggested he had the same issue and it was remedied via an extended EGW sear spring. He had the same brand of grip and said the slot for the spring was cut too low and could cause the spring not to engage properly. 

4 hours ago, sauza45 said:

A little more detail would help. What kind of grip, spring, gun. Does it only happen with a mag installed? The trigger bow could be hitting the mag.

SV plastic grip, older Limcat Steelcat. Only happens during live fire. Ive looked carefully and i cant recreate anything that would have the trigger bow hitting the mag. 

Add a disconnector stuck in the down position to the above, I polish the top edge of the middle finger of the sear spring where it rides on the disconnector

also you removed the over travel screw, does the trigger have any over travel after the hammer falls, I had one that I removed the over travel screw and still had similar issues as you describe, I then realized the trigger shoe itself was hitting the mag catch and filed it down

1. Check all grip screws are tight

2. Ensure the front trigger guard pin is present

3. Pull the beavertail out and check function without it, look for side to side movement in the leaf spring and smooth disconnect movement

4.With the over-travel all the way out you could bind the disconnect / sear 

You can take the slide off insert a mag and see if the trigger bow is hitting the mag. You said it only happens doing live fire. 
When you dry fire what do you do differently. The mag could also be hitting the disconnect.

So this gun i recently got back Limcat to fix a bushing issue. When i got it back it started having this issue but i also didnt shoot it much before i sent it back. That being said, ive taken it apart several times, the grip didnt appear cracked in any way but i will check again. The overtravel screw no matter what position did the same thing. The grip screws are tight. The trigger bow didnt seem to touch the mag with the slide off and the bow didnt appear to cracked but both those i will check again. Ill take a look at the sear spring and beavertail as well and see whats up. 

IF it ran perfect prior to sending it back to Limcat, that's the variable that's changed. Call him and pick his brain. 

I understand that you didn't shoot it much prior to sending it off, but that's the variable in this equation. 

10 hours ago, konkapot said:

IF it ran perfect prior to sending it back to Limcat, that's the variable that's changed. Call him and pick his brain. 

I understand that you didn't shoot it much prior to sending it off, but that's the variable in this equation. 

I mean i prob shot like 50 rounds before that. I shot like 100 the other day before it happened and then it happened twice in 2 different mags changes and then again a few mags later. I cant say for sure that this issue was present before i sent it to him. 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, Bravo_Victor said:

Ok so the issue is lets say i shoot about 2-300 rounds, every so often i will have this issue. I will pull the trigger and it wont fire. When this happens, without releasing the trigger, If i put ALOT of pressure on it, it may or may not go off. However sometimes if i release it, the hammer will drop into half cock. Only thing i attempted to do was back the set screw out all the way to prevent it from hitting the mag release and possibly causing something to hit the trigger. I cannot recreate this through dry fire. Everything else in the gun functions just fine. I dont get the common hammer follow issue of the hammer falling as the slide goes forward. Before i start messing around, id like to see what everyone says. Im assuming its something with the sear/sear spring tension? 

I had an identical issue on a used Limcat that had been thoroughly abused by both good and bad gunsmiths.  Long story short, the sear itself had been shortened by  a too aggressive stoning.  Replaced the sear and hammer, problem went away.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:46 PM, Bravo_Victor said:

As stated in my post, overtravel screw or no overtravel screw, it does the same thing. 

It's possible that something other than your over travel screw is stopping the trigger's rearward travel.  Seen this before.  You know how to check that there is sufficient over travel?