Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which way did you adjust the rear sights?

ysrracer

Put a red or black 1” square in the middle of the x zone it will give you the same aiming point as you are trying to sight in. By not having an aiming point your group will never get smaller as your hold will change every time 

Unless you're sighting in a Red Dot sight. 

Most will have an "R" for Right or "Up" for Up in relation to where you want the group to move.

BUT some use the normal Scope Method where you move the Dot/Reticle to the bullet impact.

AND THEN there's the JPoint that uses BOTH!  One method for Windage and one for Elevation.

My head spins at times.

To more directly answer the question "Should I adjust the rear sight left or right?".........

The correct answer is "Yes"!

All in good fun:)

Actually, I wouldn't be unhappy with what I see on your target.  Maybe a few more shots to better define the group.

Edited by Cherokeewind
added info.

16 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Sorry, iron sights. If I've got two on the left, and two on the right, should I move the sight? Which way?

Seriously, you need a tighter group to decide.  Once you get the group in the X Ring (4") at 15 yards then adjust the group center.  Then move back to 25 yards and use the center of the group  as the thing to move to where you want it.

Using the center of the group as your target shows, you are centered on the X of the X Ring.

Ignoring the left side pair for instance, you want your shots hitting the X you would move the Windage Adjustment Left (CCW) 6 Inches (probably 1 full turn for a S&W) the Elevation would need to be brought 1" up (again CCW) about a 1/4 turn.

Now for the POA, some like a 6 o'clock hold, that's where you aim for the bottom of the X Ring and all of your shots impact in the X Ring and above your FS.

Some like to aim at the center of the X Ring and expect the group to surround that point.

Personally with Iron Sights I sight in at 25 yards with a slight 6 o'clock hold, I like "seeing" the target I expect to hit.  Then under that range the group will migrate down to be centered around the FS.  But the closer one gets the smaller the group and therefore the less chance of shots being below the FS.  For me that hold usually is good past 50 yards and at about 60 yards the group (if there is one discernable at that range?) will migrate down around the FS.

Now with a Dot I tend to have the group around the Dot at 25 yards and that usually holds past 50 yards.

In starting out try to sight in with at least a 2" group, anything larger provides too many variables and you can end up chasing a sight in.

The other thing is FOCUS on that FS!  Don't look closely at the POA, if you do you will have a tendency to look over the sight and skew the POI.

THEN once you have a good group, properly sighted in think of it as the need to hit that 8" plate at whatever range, you will need to start doing it at speed under the clock.  You don't want to adjust the sights but you will need to learn how speed makes the shots move.  At that point it's all about your technique like your grip, what you're seeing and reaction to the shot.

Edited by pskys2

I usually zero at 10 yards, standing, two hands, double action with point of impact the same as point of aim.  Then I move back to 25 yards and check zero at that distance, standing, two hands, double action.

I like POI to be at the top of the front sight at 25 yards.  Even with fiber optic fronts, which I like a lot, I adjust to get POI at the top of the front sight, not the center of the red or green fiber optic element.

9 minutes ago, Cherokeewind said:

I like POI to be at the top of the front sight at 25 yards.  Even with fiber optic fronts, which I like a lot, I adjust to get POI at the top of the front sight, not the center of the red or green fiber optic element.

I fall into the same camp. Coming straight from Carry Optics, I thought it would be an easier transition to put the fiber on the point of impact, but it turned out that I have some kind of mental block about that with irons. The fiber optic tells me where the front sight is, but it's the alignment of the tops of the front and rear sights that tell me where the shot will go.

Theoretically, at least. Shot calling is still largely an arcane art to me, one whose secrets I've only just begun to uncover.

Just put a dot on and be done with it.  I finally got around to mounting  the c-more on my 929 and shooting it last night.  Didn't even need to sight it in!  It's so much fun and the extra weight on top helps, or it feels like it does. 

12 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I fall into the same camp. Coming straight from Carry Optics, I thought it would be an easier transition to put the fiber on the point of impact, but it turned out that I have some kind of mental block about that with irons. The fiber optic tells me where the front sight is, but it's the alignment of the tops of the front and rear sights that tell me where the shot will go.

Theoretically, at least. Shot calling is still largely an arcane art to me, one whose secrets I've only just begun to uncover.

Shot calling doesn't help, I keep calling out to the bullet, "Hit the center, Hit the center" or "No not the No Shoot" and they never listen.  Kind of like talking to me? the wife says? 🤣

I've also found for me sighted in as you say when I get closer and start muscling the gun at hyper speed my shots tend to be lower.  At under 10 yards, unless it's a upper A/B Zone, I then put the FO on the spot I want to hit.

you would not believe how many new Bullseye shooters. I have told to do that.

Most don't catch that the sight was returned to the starting point. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, ysrracer said:

Sorry, iron sights. If I've got two on the left, and two on the right, should I move the sight? Which way?

I like the idea of putting a red dot on it. If that doesn’t work try shooting a tighter group freestyle at 10 yards then move the distance back and make sight adjustments. You may find a 15 or 20 yard zero better. 

If you can’t get tighter groups at shorter distances shoot off a pistol rest. If you still have a single stage notch use it. If none of that works but a red dot on it!