Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iowa Revolver-only Championship (iroc?)

Carmoney

Our local club (OOPS in Osceola, Iowa) hosts the Iowa Sectional and the Iowa Single-Stack match each year, and these have been very successful and enjoyable matches. We're going to be discussing plans for next year shortly, and I have an idea I want to float past all my wheelgunning buddies here on the forum:

--10 stages plus chrono, round count at least 180

--$50, includes T-shirt with early entry

--plaque only (probably awarded Lewis-style, at the USPSA percentage breaks, but with special plaques or medals for high lady, high junior, high non-moonclip shooter)

--USPSA rules, all Revolver division restrictions in effect (at least for the first year)

--at least two stages run through the woods, Rambo-style, probably including one shooting off a rustic foot-bridge

--vehicles, activators, plenty of steel, Texas stars, run 'n' gun, not necessarily revolver-neutral, but who cares if we're all in the same boat!

So guys--would you attend if we set this thing up in 2006? Thoughts or suggestions?

Talk to me.

Mike

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit Mike !!!!

I'm trying to cut back on Road trips next year, and you go off and do this. :angry:

As hard as I have tried to get more interest for the last 2 years in Revos do you actually think I can skip something like this?

Get a date.....NOT JULY or AUGUST please, I shoot in the dog days of summer but not because I like it.

HOP

Count me in only if I can entice young master Walsh with some of Milwaukee's finest export.

I am going to try to shoot a few more matches next year, with everybody doing special revolver matches, might just have to pass up some area matches next year. The rumor around here is that Area 5 might be a little north of me next year. Can't miss that.

Count me in only if I can entice young master Walsh with some of Milwaukee's finest export.

I am going to try to shoot a few more matches next year, with everybody doing special revolver matches, might just have to pass up some area matches next year. The rumor around here is that Area 5 might be a little north of me next year. Can't miss that.

Cheese???

I said Milwaukee specifically, not the whole state. I beleive it is a fermented beverage made with barley and hopps. Very popular among the young people around here.

I have no idea what you are talking about....

must be a yankee thing

...that sounds like a LOT of fun...only problem is, I'd need a LOT of advance notice to schedule my time off from WORK...like maybe two or three months' MINIMUM...and, it can't conflict with a coupla' large Skeet Tournaments I've kinda' obligated myself for...so many guns, so little time...and MONEY!!!....mikey357

No discussion yet on dates....again, right now this is just me floating the idea, but I'm pretty sure the club would be fully supportive.

If we do this, it would probably be best to coordinate it with our Iowa Single Stack match (last year we ran that shoot on Oct. 1). That way, walls and props and everything are largely set up. It would save a tremendous amount of work.

For example, we might be able to do the Single Stack on the Friday and Saturday, and do the revolver match on the Sunday of the same weekend. Or, we could probably run the revolver match on the weekend following the Single Stack.

Which would you guys prefer? (Honestly, I'd rather do consecutive weekends myself, but I'm guessing those who are traveling in from a distance might enjoy shooting both matches in one weekend.) Do you like the idea of an real "old school" double IPSC match?

(Again--please understand--this all remains tentative until I can consult with the club...)

Great Idea, sounds liike fun. But, how about before the Area 3 in June?

Another idea I was going to post in the Revo Participation thread, how about the following:

6 shot Revolvers scored Major/Minor (if loaded there)

7+ shot Revolvers scored Minor (regardless of caliber)

Think that might entice a few more shooters?

Kind of brings us back to the olden days before we started hot rodding the Super.

You know where you either had a 7 or 8 shot .45 vs. 9 or 13 shot 9mm.

I wouldn't mind competing against a "Minor" 8 shot Revo, regardless of course design. Since the 8 shots are .357/.38 Super it's not that far out of line.

If we try it and it seems equitable, maybe we could get USPSA to make a change.

In Topeka if the Sunflower doesn't go "Sectional", I will try to get the club here to do it.

Dave

For this guy it all depends on when.

You have the Big Dawg match to think about, in the fall wasn't that going to be the revo

shoot in Tenn. ??

The IRC in June (15th-18th) Steel challenge is back in August (17th-20th).

Handgunner in July.

So many matches, so little time :unsure:

And Mikey357....shoot those scaterguns when ya get old :P

Mike, sounds good to me. I was going to go back to shooting bottom feeders next year but just can't stay away from the siren song created by the spinning cylinder!

Jerry

Our local club (OOPS in Osceola, Iowa) hosts the Iowa Sectional and the Iowa Single-Stack match each year,SNIP

So guys--would you attend if we set this thing up in 2006? Thoughts or suggestions?

Talk to me.

Mike

Where is Iowa?? Anywhere near New York :o Anything farther west than Springfield and I get awful lost :blink:

Mike;

I would definetely attend. How about doing something like Hop wants to do with the SRC, recognize USPSA Production Division and Open Division so guys can use their seven and eight shooters with or without optics. Try and set the prize structure so it only rewards competitors who shoot revolvers in those divisions. Or just use the rules for USPSA and go rebel, no official recognition. I like the idea of being Official, I think it makes the match seem better run and fair. Talk to Hop about this, if we could have TWO Revolver-Only Championships in one year we would send a hell of a message to the powers-that-be.

The other way would be a two day format with the first day being a straight-up USPSA match, but the second the Revolver only format recognizing Open Revolver, Production Revolver (7&8 shooters, no comps/optics), and Revolver. Just make the prize layout for day two to tough to pass up. I love to shoot, but I can be lured away from a good match with no reward to an OK match with significant reward or outside competition. The chance at something nice would keep the Open/Limited/Limited-10/Production crowd around the second day to play wheelgun. Just some ideas.

If we do this, I want to coordinate it with one of the events that we are already doing at the club. I think I can garner the help to put together a really good "add-on" match, but I'm not sure I would get the support to do another whole separate weekend stand-alone match, if you know what I mean.

That means we align it with either the Iowa Single-Stack in the fall, or the Iowa Sectional match, which was held Memorial Day weekend this year. However--my trial schedule throughout the spring is extremely heavy already, so if I'm going to be a prime mover and shaker on this, it probably needs to be later on in the year.

I do not want to step on Hop's toes--he had this idea first--Sam, how are we doing on the plans for the Southern Revolver Championship? Are you still looking at fall dates?

Also, just to reiterate, if we do an Iowa revolver match, it would not be a prize table situation--at least not for the first year. However, I think we could draw enough local shooters, plus some die-hards from around the country (all of you who have expressed interest here, for starters), to have a hell of a good match.

Keep the thoughts coming. I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing so far.

Mike

Where is Iowa?? Anywhere near New York :o Anything farther west than Springfield and I get awful lost :blink:

Gary, we are just to the east of Springfield, Nebraska, so you should have no trouble finding us.

;)

Mike,

On the date for the SRC.....

I keep hearing September for the USPSA Nationals.

So I am tenatively going to try mid OCTOBER and hope the Nashville bunch is interested as the TN sectional will be in Memphis most likely September.

Plus more responses for the Nashville area (seems like airfare is cheaper to Nashville than Memphis).

HOP

Great idea Counselor! Voted maybe. Job and finances not in the way I would most definitely try to get there, but first have to find Iowa in the map.

I know, I know it's a lot easier to find than Puerto Rico! ;)

Found it!! Driving directions:

- From JAX drive northwest

- If in South Dakota make a u-turn.

:lol:

Hmmm,,,,depending on when this falls and my availability, I may have to borrow a round gun and be fodder for you guys.

I really want to shoot next year's single stack match, I've had conflicts both years.

H4444