Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide stop malfunction

jstagn

Recently after about 20 k rounds the slide started locking back while shooting. I quick rack and back to normal. Once every 50 or so rounds. Happens on different mags same loads 38 sc. Maybe using too much oil and it’s migrating onto pin and dimple on slide stop. Pin seems to have lots of tension. Solutions? Thanks 

Hello, are your followers the type that activate the slide stop? If they are then either grind the followers so they don't hit the slide stop or grind the slide stop so the follower does not hit the slide stop. You can also look at the detent spring and see if it is shorter. I grind the slide stop so that the follower doesn't hit or even a round could activate it. Thanks, Eric

I do the opposite of Eric, because I have some mags that lock back (required at one club) and a lot that don't.  MBX competition mags do not lock back.  I have to modify my TTI followers so they won't.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:13 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, check the feed lips on your magazines. It could be that your rounds are hitting the slide stop. Also check your grip screws to make sure they are tight. Also check your grip to see if it is cracked. Thanks, Eric

+2 on the bullets hitting the lever. If you switched to a different profile, maybe the new rounds are just barely bumping the slide stop lever. Have you filed down the inside of the lever, or just clearanced the followers?

Thanks to all who replied, all possible problems. Solution, Eric and others solved problem. Slide stop was ground from builder, mag followers were not (grams). After 20+ k rounds things loosen up enough where the bullets (same for all 20k rounds), were in fact occasionally hitting slide stop. Ground back of slide stop as much as I dare. No problems with 140 rounds fired. Will do more. Also going to grind the corner of the grams followers down to make sure this never happens again, particularly since  it is my match gun. Again thanks to all, you guys are a big help!

1 hour ago, jstagn said:

Thanks to all who replied, all possible problems. Solution, Eric and others solved problem. Slide stop was ground from builder, mag followers were not (grams). After 20+ k rounds things loosen up enough where the bullets (same for all 20k rounds), were in fact occasionally hitting slide stop. Ground back of slide stop as much as I dare. No problems with 140 rounds fired. Will do more. Also going to grind the corner of the grams followers down to make sure this never happens again, particularly since  it is my match gun. Again thanks to all, you guys are a big help!

Was just gonna say bullets hitting slide stop is usually the issue. Most people dont want to cut the slide stop and only do the followers. This is the end result.