Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 gen3 Slide Parts kit from Brownells

profec291

Did a search, nothing came up.  Recently got a Brownells g34 slide with RMR cut and the G17 gen 3 slide parts kit to complete it.  With the brownells slide kit, the trigger pull is heavier, like a g17 trigger.  When I put the original g34 slide on with factory parts, the trigger is back to normal.  Is there something I can transfer to the new slide from the old slide to make it feel like the original g34 trigger pull?  Thanks

Hello, take a flashlight and look at the channel liner to see if it has some rough spots in it. Also make sure that the spring cups are not interfering with the striker spring. Put the end of the spring in the middle of one of the cups not at the ends. Check the striker spring to see if it is about the same compression as the G34 one. Check to see if the plunger moves freely up and down. Thanks, Eric

I would doubt that there's a pre-installed Firing Pin Channel Liner.  When I build my CO top end a couple of months ago, I am 99% sure that I had to install one.  Visually looking for a liner is sort of strange.  When you look down the Channel, it will look like there's already a liner in there because the diameter of the hole reduces right there, which can lead one to assume that there's already a Liner in there.  I finally figured out that it should look like there is a liner inside of a liner.

The factory's "check" to determine if one is in there is to shake the complete slide assembly whilst the thumb is depressing the Firing Pin Safety.  If there is a Liner in place, the FP will shake back and forth, making a sound.  If not, you won't hear the sound.

Edited by Braxton1

4 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

I would doubt that there's a pre-installed Firing Pin Channel Liner.  When I build my CO top end a couple of months ago, I am 99% sure that I had to install one.  Visually looking for a liner is sort of strange.  When you look down the Channel, it will look like there's already a liner in there because the diameter of the hole reduces right there, which can lead one to assume that there's already a Liner in there.  I finally figured out that it should look like there is a liner inside of a liner.

The factory's "check" to determine if one is in there is to shake the complete slide assembly whilst the thumb is depressing the Firing Pin Safety.  If there is a Liner in place, the FP will shake back and forth, making a sound.  If not, you won't hear the sound.

Absolutely correct. My 17gen 3 ran without one  for quite a while, before I finally figured out there wasn’t one in there. If in doubt just try to install a liner, chamfered  edge first, if it goes there wasn’t one in there. 

On 4/9/2021 at 1:05 PM, profec291 said:

Thanks.  Going by feel.  According to Brownells, the Channel liner is pre-installed.  I did look in the hole and it appeared like there was one in there, but I'll double check it.

If you didn't install a liner, there is none! From the catalog:

image.png.4ebda3a714512e4748928825aeb33967.png

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

If you didn't install a liner, there is none! From the catalog:

image.png.4ebda3a714512e4748928825aeb33967.png

I saw that on the site, but several youtube videos state the liner in place from Brownells.  I also chatted with brownells on their website, and the person I was chatting with checked and confirmed the liner in place.

1 hour ago, profec291 said:

I saw that on the site, but several youtube videos state the liner in place from Brownells.  I also chatted with brownells on their website, and the person I was chatting with checked and confirmed the liner in place.

I bought one a while back. No liner included. Perhaps thing have changed?

Just now, profec291 said:

Possibly, but I will double check and report back.  Thanks!

If it is the liner, they are fairly cheap. My local gun store had them for 5.99 and I just bought a dowel to tap it in. I believe it was 5/8”. 

30 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

If it is the liner, they are fairly cheap. My local gun store had them for 5.99 and I just bought a dowel to tap it in. I believe it was 5/8”. 

Thanks for the info!  The Brownells kit included a liner and install tool along with the other parts.

On another note...I took the original firing pin, spring, firing pin spacer sleeve & cups from my glock slide and installed it on the Brownells slide, the trigger pull feels great, exactly how a stock 34 should feel (I have another 34 with all original parts to compare the trigger to).  Is there anything in particular how the firing pin assy should be put together?

6 hours ago, profec291 said:

On another note...I took the original firing pin, spring, firing pin spacer sleeve & cups from my glock slide and installed it on the Brownells slide, the trigger pull feels great, exactly how a stock 34 should feel (I have another 34 with all original parts to compare the trigger to).  Is there anything in particular how the firing pin assy should be put together?

did you read my reply?    5th one

Edited by AHI

12 hours ago, profec291 said:

Yes sir. The ‘old parts’ have roughly 300-400 rds through it, so not really that old. 

Any dry fire with it?  My favorite glock trigger is just to dry fire the stock one quite a bit until they are broken in.  Whenever I get a new glock, I just put a couple thousand dry reps on the trigger and it breaks it in quite nicely

1 hour ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Any dry fire with it?  My favorite glock trigger is just to dry fire the stock one quite a bit until they are broken in.  Whenever I get a new glock, I just put a couple thousand dry reps on the trigger and it breaks it in quite nicely

A little bit of dry fire on it, will be using it more as we are trying to shoot more matches this year.