Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Powder, All Other Stats, And Why

gixxerflier

Love VV N-350 but....

Currently Briley bbl, Beddell Ti comp, sc, 125 Zero hp, wsrp, and 8.3 350. PF 167.5.

Just need something cheaper and more available. Am looking at IMR -7625 and Hodgdon HS-6.

Please chime in. If you have any idea of increased bbl wear, flash, whatever please inform.

Thanks, A.

I know this great guy who bought a bunch of Ramshot Sillouete for his open gun and then sold it. He's selling in the classified section. About 35% cheaper than VV.

OK, I am getting creeped out referring to myself in the 4rth person. :unsure: Ramshot. Sillouette. New, high density open powder I bought to shoot out of my open gun.

Sold the gun, bought a diamond. :huh:

Come buy my powder. Damnit. <_<

come and get it...

I know this great guy who bought a bunch of Ramshot Sillouete for his open gun and then sold it. He's selling in the classified section. About 35% cheaper than VV.

OK, I am getting creeped out referring to myself in the 4rth person. :unsure: Ramshot. Sillouette. New, high density open powder I bought to shoot out of my open gun.

Sold the gun, bought a diamond. :huh:

Come buy my powder. Damnit. <_<

come and get it...

I would help you out with some of that, if only I had a little $$ at the moment. :(

7.6 gr IMR 7625, 125 gr. Zero 0.355 JHP, Armscor 38S rimless brass, WSR primer, 1.245" OAL. This is through a 5" 4 port hybrid with a 4 chamber comp 4 up, 2 side ports. So far, this load has beat all challengers I have tried in my gun. Is pretty soft, not all that flat, but tracks straight up and down, and I can buy powder just about everywhere. The biggest disadvantage I can see with it is that it flattens primers a bit, but what doesn't? It shoots pretty accurately too, all A's on turtle targets at 50 yds consistantly. It has little if any flash, and very little concussion in comparison to most other powders. The number two load for me is 3n38, but it is becoming a more distant second the more I shoot this load.

38super: Vectan SP2 best, HS6 second, 3n38 distant third. This is for a 5" barrel 38super with a huge comp & no barrel ports, 115gr JHP.

With my old gun, 38super Caspian with 5.5" barrel, average comp, and 2 barrel ports. That gun liked 3n38 best, SP2 close 2nd, N105 third, and HS6 fourth.

[updated]

Edited by eric nielsen

Odd..............hard to find 7625 here, but can get 350 OK. Plus, it shoots just a wee bit softer in daughter's (now) 38TJ. We used to shoot 7625, but darn hard to find now locally, and like the 350 better.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

124 Precision Delta and 38TJ with a WSR primer. Old style 7-port Kruz comp, original Millennium Custom, 356 Nowlin barrel, two TJ holes.

Will be lightening the frame and slide this winter to keep up with modern developments...........:)

Rich

I have built loads for my 38 super with 350 and HS6 with 115 gr JHP.

They both work great, I think the 350 loads are better and cleaner than the HS6.

I get small sparks in when it starts getting dark with the HS6 and nothing with the 350.

Love VV N-350 but....

Currently Briley bbl, Beddell Ti comp, sc, 125 Zero hp, wsrp, and 8.3 350. PF 167.5.

Just need something cheaper and more available. Am looking at IMR -7625 and Hodgdon HS-6.

Please chime in. If you have any idea of increased bbl wear, flash, whatever please inform.

Thanks, A.

:)

Funny you should bring this up. Just chrono'd an IMR 7625 load yesterday.

Temperature 52F

5.4 inch Schuemann barrel with 4 hybrid holes and an X-Comp.

Virgin Starline 38sc brass

WSR primer

1.25 OAL

7.5 gr IMR 7625

125 gr Zero JHP

pf = 171

Ave - 1368, Hi - 1385, Lo - 1353, ES - 32, Sd - 11

Al

ok here is my .02

IMR4756 125gr zero and 9.2gr 4756.

shoots flat, no preasure signs and does

this in a shorty with holes in the barrel

crono's at 172 pf

Edited by Dream

I started running longshot in my 9x23 a couple months ago, switching from 7625, in a 5 inch gun with trubor s2 comp and no barrel holes, and 121 gr HAP bullet. I like it very well. Seems to be more effective in the comp than 7625 was with less pressure signs. Still developing the weight of charge, with not enough time to get good chrono data, but I've been as high as 8.3 grains which should be close to 175 pf and pressures still look good as far as primers indicate. May end up settling around 8.0. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

7.5 grains 7625, 124-125 grain bullet...any brand, im not picky

its out of a four port hybrid with a 8 port svi comp. shoots 172 power factor...

HS6, 9.0 grains 121 grain HAP bullet, fed 200 primer dont recall the PF but it felt good..

10.7 grains Accurate Arms number seven, 124 grain bullet.

shoots soft, but its dirty and cost alot due to large powder consumption.

I remember using Hodgdon H-110 years ago with the higher power factor in .38 S., 9X25, and .357 SIG with very good results. It shot flat and "soft", and no signs of high pressure. Made major well. It also filled the case to the top. Average case fill took 16.5 gr. with the 115 JHP in the 9X25, and the ground "shooked" every time.

But now, after recommending it a few times to some shooters I am getting some feed back. Two shooters have switched to it from 3n38, 3n37, N350 and AA-7. Their favorite load is around 15 - 15.5 of H-110 with the 115 JHP out of 5" barrells with conventional comps. Yes, it is a lot of powder, but it is dirt cheap. And more important it feels great and is very accurate, without the wear and tear on the brass. Some great results are also obtained with the 124gr. bullets and lower charges.

Try it. Who knows, it may work for you. A pound of it sell between $15 - $16 and cheaper buy volume.

It works very well in the comp, sometimes having to reduce your load because it can shoot "negative", and very often you will need a pound lower in your recoil spring. It does not fling the brass a mile away either (hint!!!).

Personally, I "used" to love SP-2. Now I use 3n38 and H-110. You just have to remember to "anchor" your loading press down, as every time you use close to full casing loads you can "spill" some powder out in your progressive machines when you run it fast.

I used H110 and H108 ($50/8 lbs from Powder Valley back then) in the 9x25. 17gr of H110 burned so clean the cases looked new on the inside, but there was no way I could cram enough into a Super case to make a 175 PF... Sounds like I should revisit for 165PF someday.

I used H110 and H108 ($50/8 lbs from Powder Valley back then) in the 9x25. 17gr of H110 burned so clean the cases looked new on the inside, but there was no way I could cram enough into a Super case to make a 175 PF... Sounds like I should revisit for 165PF someday.

Hey that's an idea since I have a few pounds of H108... Maybe I'll try it in my supercomp...

Hey that's an idea since I have a few pounds of H108... Maybe I'll try it in my supercomp...

Sounds good to me. Can you come back and share your findings????

Inquiring minds want/need to know!!!! :D:D:DB)B)

P.S.___

I too have a couple of pounds left of the H-108 which I got from Powder Valley a couple of years ago. The H-108 burns a little bit slower than H-110 and requires a little bit more per charge. I am not sure you can get any more H-108 from Powder Valley, but with the lower power factor the H-110 is a good substitute, and is available everywhere.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs