Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Powder, All Other Stats, And Why

gixxerflier

• 5 weeks later...

7625 is a awesome cheap powder that does everything needed in open w/o the big flash-bang effect of N350

cheap

lower charge weight

consistent

easy to find

shoots great

low flash and its clean

btw ramshot silhouette isnt bad either...and perhaps cheaper than 7625

I used H110 and H108 ($50/8 lbs from Powder Valley back then) in the 9x25. 17gr of H110 burned so clean the cases looked new on the inside, but there was no way I could cram enough into a Super case to make a 175 PF... Sounds like I should revisit for 165PF someday.

I used the 108(also AA9S) in the early 90's with 130's $ CP9X23 & could push out to 180's

don't even know if 108 is still around.With the 9X25 comp it was flat (to flat).

I just tried to N105, based upon Bob Londrigan's recommendations and it really makes a difference in my Pro Sx. Shoots major flat with a bit of push in the hand.

I realize that it's probably not the cheapest or most available powder but Bob has told me it is much safer, from a pressure perspective, than 7625.

I'm using 10.6g under a 125g Zero jhp. Haven't chrono'd it yet but will publish results when I have them.

+1

N105 is a low-pressure powder and can make the OLD power factor under SAAMI specs.

7625 is a high-pressure powder and frequently shows pressure signs until the gun's chamber, FP, strut, primer selection etc are all dialed in.

The analogy to Limited ammo would be:

7625 is like Clays behind a 200 JHP, N105 is like N330 behind a 180.

Whether Limited or Open, the slower powders make more noise & have more rocket effect [push in your hand] but they are kinder to your gun & to your cases.

Edited by eric nielsen

The analogy to Limited ammo would be:

7625 is like Clays behind a 200 JHP, N105 is like N330 behind a 180.

That seems a *little* harsh... :) 7625 is more like Titegroup behind a 200... :) It's not flat out asking for the trouble that Clays is in .40 w/ heavy bullets.... :) my experience, so far, anyway...

In fact, in my gun, I see pressure signs out of 3N37 before I do out of 7625...

I think in Open you get more performance through the comp with slower burning powders. 7625 shoots too sharp/flippy for me. The Vhita-Vouri (sp?) powders meter great and are clean. As such, I lean towards 3n37 and 3n38. Like all good things it comes at a premium price.

In the old days, Schuemann spec'ed W571 as best for his barrel's performance, but has since been discontinued. He's a super smart guy that knows more about pressures and propulsion than I ever will. That said, I think HS-7 falls right next to W571 on most charts, and I plan to play with that powder this year.

That said, I think HS-7 falls right next to W571 on most charts, and I plan to play with that powder this year.

Now don't go fallin' in love with it and tellin me that you just found the greatest powder on earth.....It was discontinued last year. The rep at Hogdon suggested using Longshot if your happy with HS-7.