Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC How To: How NOT to DQ

StefVanHauwe

Video that explains the most common types of Disqualifications (DQ's) in IPSC, and some pragmatic tips on how to avoid them. This video is primarily focused on new and beginner shooters. A DQ can hapen to anyone. It is not the end of the world! Stay calm, humble and be respectful to the RO. Once the range is safe and clear, he/she will be glad to explain their observation and decision to DQ. The most important thing is that you learn from what happened. Let me know in the Comments below if you were already DQ'ed, why and what you learned. Also, check out the "DQ"-Playlist in the link below for many DQ-examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOeni4TbxU

• 5 months later...

Yes it will happen and has happened to me. The problem is, if you focus on it so much, it takes a lot of joy out of shooting. My son has DQed for several different reasons and not the same one twice. The problem now is he is terrified of doing something wrong and shooting is not as much fun for him. 

I think it’s the old adage, don’t focus on what not to do, but focus on what you should be doing right. It’s working with him, just have some scars to heal from. And yes they are important scars, he definitely learned from them, we just don’t focus on them.

22 hours ago, Boudreaux78 said:

Yes it will happen and has happened to me. The problem is, if you focus on it so much, it takes a lot of joy out of shooting. My son has DQed for several different reasons and not the same one twice. The problem now is he is terrified of doing something wrong and shooting is not as much fun for him. 

I think it’s the old adage, don’t focus on what not to do, but focus on what you should be doing right. It’s working with him, just have some scars to heal from. And yes they are important scars, he definitely learned from them, we just don’t focus on them.

Agree, stay positive!

Odd timing my friend. Shot the Battpe for the North Coast this past weekend and with in the first 6 stages we had 4 DQ. One for 180 violation, very first stage. One for AD durring a reload. One for dropping gun while making ready. And the fourth i cant remeber. 

I myself have been DQ'd fpr a 180 violation, should have arb'd it but was so over the match I just shrugged it off and enjoyed keeping the girlfriends mags clean and ready for her next stage. Another for dropping gun at the beep. It was the very first match I shot with a race holster and I didnt even think about the gun being able to be pushed up and out of the holster when I started to kick the door in with my leg. That was a very big suprise when I reached for the gun and it wasnt in the holster. 

Other then those I've been pretty solid through 4 years of matches and the last 3 having at least 6 majors. 

4 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Odd timing my friend. Shot the Battpe for the North Coast this past weekend and with in the first 6 stages we had 4 DQ. One for 180 violation, very first stage. One for AD durring a reload. One for dropping gun while making ready. And the fourth i cant remeber. 

I myself have been DQ'd fpr a 180 violation, should have arb'd it but was so over the match I just shrugged it off and enjoyed keeping the girlfriends mags clean and ready for her next stage. Another for dropping gun at the beep. It was the very first match I shot with a race holster and I didnt even think about the gun being able to be pushed up and out of the holster when I started to kick the door in with my leg. That was a very big suprise when I reached for the gun and it wasnt in the holster. 

Other then those I've been pretty solid through 4 years of matches and the last 3 having at least 6 majors. 

Safety violations cannot be appealed save for exceptional circumstances.

I worked the Battle.  What I saw was accidental and brain farts/not paying attention.  Gun bumped in race holster, one 180, turning the wrong way going uprange, my RO on that side got an eyeful of pistol and yelled stop.  3rd one another brain fart, shooter pulls gun out to test table start while I'm walking back from demonstrating the clamshell on staff day, paid shooter, no commands given.  Yes, the hole is just as big unloaded as it is loaded when it is pointing at you.

Other stages much the same.  Sweeping going through doors, 180's, AD's.

A number were shooters attending their first level 2.  Tells me that we aren't doing as good a job as we think at the local levels.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, Boudreaux78 said:

Can you explain how you're helping him through this?  DQs are not handed out for trivial matters and several of them is cause for concern.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:40 AM, vluc said:

3rd one another brain fart, shooter pulls gun out to test table start while I'm walking back from demonstrating the clamshell on staff day, paid shooter, no commands given.  Yes, the hole is just as big unloaded as it is loaded when it is pointing at you.

Wow

I've had a guy at a local match do something similar, he walked up and before I could say make ready he drew and took a sight picture.  Luckily he didn't do it while anyone was downrange.

A number were shooters attending their first level 2.  Tells me that we aren't doing as good a job as we think at the local levels.

That's why I don't deviate from the rulebook when RO'ing local matches.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, Boudreaux78 said:

I think it’s the old adage, don’t focus on what not to do, but focus on what you should be doing right.

I'd throw in "practice makes perfect". When I dry fire practice at home I always have a 180 that I treat as sacred, and I do the dicey stuff (reloading while moving toward your weak side - anything that seems to have potential for a problem) until I feel like I can do it with match nerves and not come anywhere close to the 180. Seems to help build confidence. 

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Can you explain how you're helping him through this?  DQs are not handed out for trivial matters and several of them is cause for concern.

He broke 180, so we have reenforced and practice how to maintain control of muzzle at all times. Had a ND after an all shotgun stage and was unloading. He wasn’t familiar enough with unloading and I couldn’t assist. We spent everyday for three weeks loading and unloading. Last one was an unfamiliar borrowed gun at a match. Shouldn’t have shot, but he learned some things. Left the hammer back without the safety on, used to a striker fired and forgot. 

Now we are focused dry fire constantly and covering all aspects of shooting. I take responsibility for each DQ, I should’ve trained him better. I just don’t forget why we shoot!

Safety violations cannot be appealed save for exceptional circumstances.

Forgot all about that rule. But either way it was what it was. 

Did that gun falling out the race holster happen to he with a very goofy squad where everyone was giving the others a good ribbing on sunday? If it was that was my squad and we didnt let him live it down the rest of the afternoon. Our squad had 4 people DQ. Personally I didnt think there were any 180 "traps" or other extra ordinary things at the match to cause that but.... I being left handed practice moving left to right and doing mag changes religiously simply because 90% of the stages at any matches flow like garbage going right to left. 

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Forgot all about that rule. But either way it was what it was. 

Did that gun falling out the race holster happen to he with a very goofy squad where everyone was giving the others a good ribbing on sunday? If it was that was my squad and we didnt let him live it down the rest of the afternoon. Our squad had 4 people DQ. Personally I didnt think there were any 180 "traps" or other extra ordinary things at the match to cause that but.... I being left handed practice moving left to right and doing mag changes religiously simply because 90% of the stages at any matches flow like garbage going right to left. 

CRO on Stage 9, was towards the end of the day Sunday.  Took one step, bumped gun, that was it. 

Almost every squad was ribbing their folks.  Was a good crowd.  Shooters realized what they did for all that it happened to, nothing bogus.

• 8 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, Boudreaux78 said:

Thank you for the wise advice, Boudreaux78.  I came to this part of the forum looking for insight after being DQ’ed for the first time since starting to shoot matches in 2011.  We were walking down a rope corridor with targets on each side as we made our way down the corridor.  I lost track and questioned whether or not I had shot one target so I turned and did a make up shot and in doing so broke the 180. I feel horrible about that and very disappointed in myself. Your post about focusing on what to do instead of what not to do makes perfect sense and seems obvious after reading it. I am going to be “gun shy” for a while, but being extra cautious while remaining positive is a good thing.  I’m doing my best to burn into my brain to make myself stop and evaluate my position every time I think I may need to “back up” in a stage. 

Edited by DCSigCZ
Added corrective action.

• 9 months later...

I saw this at a local match. Shooter reports to start location which is facing up range and requires a turn -- Fluffy's Revenge 2.  Shooter waits for the make ready.  RO does not give it.  Shooter says to RO I am waiting for the make ready so I can practice my turn.  RO says, you can practice your turn before I give the make ready.  Shooter faces up range, then turns and draws his pistol to air gun the stage.  He does this twice.  No make ready was given.  Nobody said anything, including me.  Shooter finishes his air gunning, RO gives make ready, shooter shoots the classifier.  The poor shooter had DQed with, in my opinion, the unwitting help of the RO.  I don't believe either of them were aware.  I was no on the tablet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 9:46 AM, lawboy said:

I saw this at a local match. Shooter reports to start location which is facing up range and requires a turn -- Fluffy's Revenge 2.  Shooter waits for the make ready.  RO does not give it.  Shooter says to RO I am waiting for the make ready so I can practice my turn.  RO says, you can practice your turn before I give the make ready.  Shooter faces up range, then turns and draws his pistol to air gun the stage.  He does this twice.  No make ready was given.  Nobody said anything, including me.  Shooter finishes his air gunning, RO gives make ready, shooter shoots the classifier.  The poor shooter had DQed with, in my opinion, the unwitting help of the RO.  I don't believe either of them were aware.  I was no on the tablet.

Was the RO's name Tim Donaghy by any chance?

• 1 month later...

Last weekend, first USPSA match and DQ’ed on second stage. Stage could be ran either way left to right or right to left. Being left handed I was going to run right to left. The RO had been helping me on my planning and pointed out that the stage ran smoother going left to right. He reminded me to keep my elbow tucked on my reload. First reload went fine but second on broke the 180. Was I upset with the R.O. ? Absolutely not I broke the rule.

what did I learn? I needed to practice moving to my weak side, just cause someone with more experience offers up an idea doesn’t mean that it’s better or you should take it. Only you know what works best for you

I haven't DQ'd, yet.

Earlier this year, I went to an indoor IPSC Match, with a friend for whom it was the first ever Match. He DQ'd on the third Stage out of six: he is right handed, and ran out of bullets moving left. Broke 180 during the reload.

Previously, at our "home range", we had talked about the tendency to point the pistol towards the support hand side while reloading.

----------

IPSC Rules give Match organizers the possibility to make allowable muzzle direction something other than 180 degrees. In most cases, it is tighter, clearly marked with bright colored poles or sticks on the berms. It is also possible to make it "wider", so that the shooter goes downrange from the markers.

2.1.2.1 Subject to the direction and approval of the Regional Director, stage(s) or range specific muzzle
angles (reduced or increased) may be permitted. Violations are subject to Rule 10.5.2. Full details
of the applicable angles and any conditional factors (e.g. a reduced vertical muzzle angle only
applies when a finger is inside the trigger guard), should be published in advance of the match and
must be included in the written stage briefings (also see Section 2.3).

8 hours ago, perttime said:

IPSC Rules give Match organizers the possibility to make allowable muzzle direction something other than 180 degrees. In most cases, it is tighter, clearly marked with bright colored poles or sticks on the berms. It is also possible to make it "wider", so that the shooter goes downrange from the markers.

Having different/wider allowable shooting areas would seem like it could get very confusing.

3 hours ago, GigG said:

Having different/wider allowable shooting areas would seem like it could get very confusing.

I haven't found it confusing.

Of course, you need a stage design that works, and the RO(s) must be competent. And it must be explained and demonstrated clearly to the competitors.

Sometimes it allows good use of the side berms for targets. A tighter muzzle angle can let you put stages in places where they otherwise wouldn't work, or even put two stages in a place where that would otherwise be impossible.

Here's a pic of the strangest one that I've shot. The berth only had a narrow gap in the berms, and only the area around the gap was off limits. Actually, there was a short corridor for entering the berth, so you could only see berms in every direction, when within the shooting area.

stage7.thumb.png.8b9e984225509f2b58395006fee120ac.png

2 hours ago, perttime said:

I haven't found it confusing.

Of course, you need a stage design that works, and the RO(s) must be competent. And it must be explained and demonstrated clearly to the competitors.

Sometimes it allows good use of the side berms for targets. A tighter muzzle angle can let you put stages in places where they otherwise wouldn't work, or even put two stages in a place where that would otherwise be impossible.

Here's a pic of the strangest one that I've shot. The berth only had a narrow gap in the berms, and only the area around the gap was off limits. Actually, there was a short corridor for entering the berth, so you could only see berms in every direction, when within the shooting area.

stage7.thumb.png.8b9e984225509f2b58395006fee120ac.png

I would not want to RO that no matter the 180 rules.  In fact, I would refuse to RO that. I would likely refuse to shoot it as well.

3 hours ago, GigG said:

I would not want to RO that no matter the 180 rules.  In fact, I would refuse to RO that. I would likely refuse to shoot it as well.

I have shot stages like that,, even more convoluted if you looked at it.. At Blackwate shoot houses with 360 safe angles where the RO was above you and the 180,,, was UP,,  Really awsome stages BTW

8 hours ago, GigG said:

Pretty obviously, everybody wanted to start at one end of the corridor. It has been some years, but I remember the RO asking me which way I was going to go after the first targets. It was straightforward after that.