Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whats going on with dillion

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i have a 650 and had a primer tube explosion. primer system is backordered...and that was 3 months ago. 

what gives? primer systems cant be that in demand

No, but Dillon's suppliers can be that far behind.  If they are single sourced for the major components in the primer system, they are stuck in the same Covid boat as other companies.  Ford cut back production of F150's because of chip shortages.

I think I'd be unhappy too.

And I would also note that no one else has any bitz, partz, nor pieces that are not on backorder.

so I can only offer the small comfort that Dillon has a rather good reputation

for after purchase support...

don't mistake this...

poke 'em with a stick in a couple of months.

don't want 'em sleeping too much.

miranda

• 2 weeks later...

I live about three miles from Dillon.  Last couple of weeks I was there several times.

Their suppliers are the issue.  They are backordered years on some stuff.

Trust me (OMG-can't believe I stated that), the staff at Dillon feel your pain.  They do not like not being able to meet your needs just as much as you don't like waiting for your stuff.

Calling Mr Dillon is probably not going to solve the supplier issue.  He is dealing with this downside every hour of every day.

17 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I also have a ton of spare 1050 parts, mostly take-offs from machines I rebuilt over the years.  Stuff might not be cosmetically perfect, but should work fine.  So, if someone needs small parts, let me know.  

Great offer. It's what we have come to expect from a BEnos MOM. Thank you on behalf of the Forums. 👍

On 2/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, pjb45 said:

I live about three miles from Dillon.  Last couple of weeks I was there several times.

Their suppliers are the issue.  They are backordered years on some stuff.

Trust me (OMG-can't believe I stated that), the staff at Dillon feel your pain.  They do not like not being able to meet your needs just as much as you don't like waiting for your stuff.

Calling Mr Dillon is probably not going to solve the supplier issue.  He is dealing with this downside every hour of every day.

If that's the case. then the suppliers are NOT the issue, Dillon is.  Anyone that would let suppliers get years behind on parts needed to find better suppliers years ago.

ah this can be a little tough to explain...

I agree hunting new suppliers is a good idea.

what might be on back order for a year or two?

I have a suspicion Dillon makes a lot of the items they sell.

the castings and dies are likely made factories near the headquarters (I am guessing here a little)

because I have never seen chinese copies of any of it.

so I think Dillon has the option to make any of the items they need  IF

if they have the steel for machining  or the aluminum for castings

and any specalized materials.

not related to Dillon I saw a news item a few years back that a gun-barrel maker

has trouble getting the steel alloy they use.

the source is in France and importing it is, according to the news source. a struggle...

tracking, duties and fees etc.   Once the French make the stuff, about once a year...

But lets pick something I think may be a problem...(again this is a guess)

ever purchased a grease fitting. a zerk? 

if you have none, do you ship the machine without?

I guess you (Dillon) can make them... the best is out of stock

and the worst... you already know you don't want...

what you do... back order the best and ship the machines with the

ones you don't like (why you don't like them is up to you)

miranda

On 2/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, Tom S. said:

If that's the case. then the suppliers are NOT the issue, Dillon is.  Anyone that would let suppliers get years behind on parts needed to find better suppliers years ago.

Quick!

Call the Wall Street Journal. 

You have solved the WORLD'S Supply Chain issue.

And shame on Dillon for not anticipating COvid and it's subsequent consequences.

Brilliant conclusion and recommendation.

I am sure you will be recommended for a Nobel prize due to such insight.

Perhaps you are on the the President's Economic Counsel.

quick? etc...

wow pjb45,  bitter much?

you post has me puzzled for two reasons... 

did some one kick your dog?  what is eating at you?

The other reason is: after I read it, why am I upset?

I went on with my morning after my first read.

I found I was thinking about your post...

yes I get unhappy when people don't think...

even more frustrating is the time where they start thinking.

ah well...

onward.

miranda

2 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Quick!

Call the Wall Street Journal. 

You have solved the WORLD'S Supply Chain issue.

And shame on Dillon for not anticipating COvid and it's subsequent consequences.

Brilliant conclusion and recommendation.

I am sure you will be recommended for a Nobel prize due to such insight.

Perhaps you are on the the President's Economic Counsel.

I worked in GM's sourcing department long enough to know what I'm talking about. They single sourced a lot of parts, but always had back up sources if something went south on them. Obviously that hasn't worked out with computer chips, but I've no idea how many manufacturers there are of chips. I have seen them literally pull dies from one shop and put them in another however when parts availability became an issue. 

Beyond that though, Covid wasn't around "years" ago, it's only been a year unless you're using a different calendar. Nor did the whole world stop producing products as is evident from the shelves of my local stores.  So explain how/why Dillon have parts that have been back ordered for "years".

The computer chips situation for the auto makers happened because there's only like two or three suppliers for the chips the car companies use.  And those companies produce chips for a lot of other stuff besides auto parts, so there are very long lead times.  Also, the car companies rely on suppliers for the chips and those suppliers didn't anticipate auto production recovering as fast as it did (actually, they ignored warnings from the auto makers).  So by the time they got off their butts and ordered more chips, there was nothing they could do but wait.  

Regarding Dillon, they probably rely on vendors for castings, forgings and machined parts.  All critical stuff they don't make in house.  And most likely the number of available sources is limited, and all of those are plenty busy with whatever else it is they're doing.  If there was excess capacity somewhere, I'm pretty sure the problem wouldn't exist.

Edited by ltdmstr

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

The computer chips situation for the auto makers happened because there's only like two or three suppliers for the chips the car companies use.  And those companies produce chips for a lot of other stuff besides auto parts, so there are very long lead times.  Also, the car companies rely on suppliers for the chips and those suppliers didn't anticipate auto production recovering as fast as it did (actually, they ignored warnings from the auto makers).  So by the time they got off their butts and ordered more chips, there was nothing they could do but wait.  

Regarding Dillon, they probably rely on vendors for castings, forgings and machined parts.  All critical stuff they don't make in house.  And most likely the number of available sources is limited, and all of those are plenty busy with whatever else it is they're doing.  If there was excess capacity somewhere, I'm pretty sure the problem wouldn't exist.

I suspected that was the reason behind the chips.  As for someone's claim that Dillon is backlogged "years" for some parts, I'm still trying to figure out how and why. And even what parts they could be.

13 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

As for someone's claim that Dillon is backlogged "years" for some parts, I'm still trying to figure out how and why. And even what parts they could be.

I didn't make the years comment but I think you're interpreting it back to front.

The back order problem hasn't existed for years. Rather, at their historic production rate it would take years to clear the back orders they have. If the comment originated from inside Dillon, it was likely a comment on the size of the backlog, not an estimate of when orders would be filled.

I suspect one of the longest backlogs is for carbide sizing rings for dies, as that's a pretty niche item.  Any machine shop can turn a die body. It requires some specialized equipment to press, sinter, and polish the sizing rings, and a bit of experience and know-how to do it in reliably in spec at a decent price. This could be the part that is holding up die deliveries, which we already know to be slow.

With respect the beginning of this thread, the 650 primer carousel body is die cast if I remember right. Those dies can be $20-30k, and it could be owned by Dillon or their supplier depending on how they chose to finance the initial capital expense. Their supplier could be overseas, which means it a pretty big task to move the dies to another caster and qualify their parts, all for legacy equipment which is negative margin now, and which might sour your relationship with your original parts supplier.

In the 2008 shortages Dillon did expanding their frame casting supply chain to include other aluminum foundries. Some of us have slightly off-colored Dillon blue 550s or 650s from this era. But I think the frames are sand cast which is dead simple compared to die casting.

43 minutes ago, belus said:

I didn't make the years comment but I think you're interpreting it back to front.

I took it as it was stated: "They are backordered years on some stuff."

Only two ways I can read that, either he meant Dillon's back orders will take years to resolve, or Dillon is lacking parts that have been on back order for years.  In either case, it's inexcusable and the fault can only be on one source - Dillon.

Regardless, I'm not certain I even believe his statement because if it was true by either definition, it would indicate that Dillon is in serious trouble and Mike is spinning in his grave.

I am beginning to understand Pjb45's post better...

Dillon has orders on backorder and backorders on order.
We got it.  
Since I am looking for some Lee parts
I happen to know Lee precision is in the same boat.

I also happen to be curious about why I am concerned.

For both companies they are in a variety of bind that is difficult to resolve.
orders with no path to get those orders filled.

I see a lot of demand and only some alternates for sale.

I expect such things sometimes.  
A lack of choice chips on super bowl morning springs to mind.

I have a lot of guesses about why the present stack of shortages exist.
We in the U.S. are not familiar with 'shortages.'

If there were more manufacturing facilities in this country,
perhaps we could find a viable set of solutions...

With the electronics industry,  my sources state pretty clearly
that the auto makers (all of them) have been both demanding and severe relative
to the chip manufacturing companies and the chip makers
stated to auto makers, you did not order during our planning cycle.
We are now BUSY making chips for the people who did order then.
You will wait.

I kinda doubt Dillon took that path...
so wave money at them and hope and pray they stay in business in this crisis.

because that is what we are facing. A crisis.

miranda