Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended cylinder release

SSGGlock

4 hours ago, MWP said:

I felt that I was turning the muzzle left while the gun was still in my right hand to get the cylinder open. This posed a problem for me when I needed to turn left. Before I found the cylinder releases to help (not solve) this problem I planned my reload before the stage to compensate for that left 180 edge. Then once I figured out that I could open the cylinder with the short release without the gun nosing left I felt that was an advantage and switched all my guns to those releases. 

I understand the turning the muzzle left and have ran into that problem. Which results in twisting the body to the right. So when you start your reload, you keep the gun more in a vertical shooting position instead of rolling it into a more horizontal position to get the cylinder open?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

The talk went along the line that you would be able to use the new S&W release in

the non-moonclipped catagory of IDPA since it is a factory replacement part, not sure

anyone has tried to get it passed by any SO's yet.

I’ve seen one other actually buy the PC gun to get that release to use on his IDPA SSR gun.

In ESR which is moonclips you can you use aftermarket releases. SSR has to be factory.

3 hours ago, SSGGlock said:

I understand the turning the muzzle left and have ran into that problem. Which results in twisting the body to the right. So when you start your reload, you keep the gun more in a vertical shooting position instead of rolling it into a more horizontal position to get the cylinder open?

No, he just opens the cylinder and throws the new moon in from afar like a witch.

Not trying to blow too much smoke up his skirt but even at 0.25 speed it’s still very hard to see everything.

3 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

No, he just opens the cylinder and throws the new moon in from afar like a witch.

Not trying to blow too much smoke up his skirt but even at 0.25 speed it’s still very hard to see everything.

Ha! I really need to set up a camera with some lighting and different angles. I usually have cameras running when I’m working on a specific item, but more for my own feedback rather than posting it someplace. I’ve been quicker than that on camera, but the lighting and quality look more like a 90s action movie than practice. 

7 hours ago, SSGGlock said:

With a factory release I have to loosen my grip tension with my right hand and almost stretch the thumb to get the release all the way forward (think rob trying to hit a 1911 mag release.) This causes the gun to point about 10 degrees left. I hold the cylinder in place and let the gun fall to the right, which ends with the gun laying on its side and pointing 40-45 degrees to the left. Then as I eject and bring it in the muzzle gets back to 0 degrees and down. 

With the short extended Hogue or TK release the gun stays pointing down range and I can reach the release without stretch. Because I never shifted my right hand on the gun I have less time for my left hand to be where it needs to be, keeping the muzzle closer to zero and getting the first half of the reload done earlier. The gun actually rolls (tilts) left, which gives me a better reach around the frame with my left middle finger, then goes back hard to the right, forcing the cylinder open and into my left thumb which wraps around and controls the cylinder.

I use my left index finger to eject and I have no fingers in the window. I have no idea how JM got used to his reload style- 2 fingers through the window and on the cylinder from the other side and thumb on ejector. The gun feels lost to me with his method, out in space, barely staying in my hand as it moves. Then closing fast pinches my fingers in the window.

One thing I have noticed is that my reload can’t be done at slow speeds- there’s not enough force to open the cylinder. It can be done it steps to show the hand movement and placement, but not slowly. JM’s reload can be done at any speed since the hands are in the proper location to use muscles rather than momentum to open the cylinder. 

For me, at the time of testing a few years back, the extended release helped cut a few hundredths off a reload. Moving the gun less in my hands and staying closer to muzzle 0 was the real benefit I found that I wasn’t even looking for. 

If anyone hasn’t had the chance to spend time with an extended release and would like to try one out let me know, I have 1 that could be mailed around. 

10 hours ago, MWP said:

If anyone hasn’t had the chance to spend time with an extended release and would like to try one out let me know, I have 1 that could be mailed around. 

I'd be game for that too, an unbiased side by side comparison would be great info for the round gun folks.

Maybe we can get a couple/few folks to sign up?

See how many miles thru the mail we can get on these babies 😆

What I would really be interested in would be a *thumb rest [generic]* type plate for the back of the shroud.  Only issue would be how to attach it and it would look ugly as ****.  My left hand thumb rests there and my right thumb sits on the cylinder release.  Makes for a quick reload and a black thumb.  It would be interesting to be able to apply more pressure with the left thumb. 

2 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

I'd be game for that too, an unbiased side by side comparison would be great info for the round gun folks.

Maybe we can get a couple/few folks to sign up?

See how many miles thru the mail we can get on these babies 😆

Fine with me. Let’s create a little sample pack to mail around. 

9 hours ago, robertson said:

Do you eject before your strong hand comes off the gun?

No, as soon as the left hand goes under the frame and takes control of the gun the right hand is gone. By the time my right hand reaches my belt, the gun is empty and rolling nose down. 

13 hours ago, MWP said:

With a factory release I have to loosen my grip tension with my right hand and almost stretch the thumb to get the release all the way forward (think rob trying to hit a 1911 mag release.) This causes the gun to point about 10 degrees left. I hold the cylinder in place and let the gun fall to the right, which ends with the gun laying on its side and pointing 40-45 degrees to the left. Then as I eject and bring it in the muzzle gets back to 0 degrees and down. 

With the short extended Hogue or TK release the gun stays pointing down range and I can reach the release without stretch. Because I never shifted my right hand on the gun I have less time for my left hand to be where it needs to be, keeping the muzzle closer to zero and getting the first half of the reload done earlier. The gun actually rolls (tilts) left, which gives me a better reach around the frame with my left middle finger, then goes back hard to the right, forcing the cylinder open and into my left thumb which wraps around and controls the cylinder.

I use my left index finger to eject and I have no fingers in the window. I have no idea how JM got used to his reload style- 2 fingers through the window and on the cylinder from the other side and thumb on ejector. The gun feels lost to me with his method, out in space, barely staying in my hand as it moves. Then closing fast pinches my fingers in the window.

One thing I have noticed is that my reload can’t be done at slow speeds- there’s not enough force to open the cylinder. It can be done it steps to show the hand movement and placement, but not slowly. JM’s reload can be done at any speed since the hands are in the proper location to use muscles rather than momentum to open the cylinder. 

For me, at the time of testing a few years back, the extended release helped cut a few hundredths off a reload. Moving the gun less in my hands and staying closer to muzzle 0 was the real benefit I found that I wasn’t even looking for. 

MWP

I’ve been dissecting what you wrote. I’m tracking with most of it, except getting the cylinder open. Are you using your left hand and popping it open?  

3 hours ago, MWP said:

No, as soon as the left hand goes under the frame and takes control of the gun the right hand is gone. By the time my right hand reaches my belt, the gun is empty and rolling nose down. 

I can eject from this position but if I raise the muzzle much more the gun wants to slide out of my hand. My normal reload is JM style.

381420345_thumbnail(8).jpg.f6ec7e8d15c5dea9db3618351f0cadd1.jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

2 hours ago, SSGGlock said:

MWP

I’ve been dissecting what you wrote. I’m tracking with most of it, except getting the cylinder open. Are you using your left hand and popping it open?  

Yes. 

The gun rolls left, my middle finger comes underneath and contacts the cylinder, then I roll the gun aggressively to the right, and my middle finger forces the cylinder open. My left thumb then catches the cylinder and holds it in place.  

16 minutes ago, robertson said:

I can eject from this position but if I raise the muzzle much more the gun wants to slide out of my hand. My normal reload is JM style.

381420345_thumbnail(8).jpg.f6ec7e8d15c5dea9db3618351f0cadd1.jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

I have my middle finger more around the frame and on the side of the window that that, and am grabbing the cylinder like that with my thumb. I run with the gun like that and am fully gripping it, with my index finger free to move and eject. 

In the bottom image I think it takes so much longer for 2 fingers to go all the way in and all the way out compared to staying out of the window completely. 

Like I said earlier, there’s no “one way fits all,” especially in revolver. I have spent time with each reload and technique and ultimately settled on the one that works for me. I think reload speed should be directly related to classification and vice versa. I also think people should experiment and see what’s best for them.   

7 minutes ago, MWP said:

I have my middle finger more around the frame and on the side of the window that that, and am grabbing the cylinder like that with my thumb. I run with the gun like that and am fully gripping it, with my index finger free to move and eject. 

In the bottom image I think it takes so much longer for 2 fingers to go all the way in and all the way out compared to staying out of the window completely. 

Like I said earlier, there’s no “one way fits all,” especially in revolver. I have spent time with each reload and technique and ultimately settled on the one that works for me. I think reload speed should be directly related to classification and vice versa. I also think people should experiment and see what’s best for them.   

MWP, thank you for the help! I can see where this technique could have some advantages for me.

4 hours ago, MWP said:

Fine with me. Let’s create a little sample pack to mail around. 

PM me your address.

I'll include a long, short IDPA legal (ESR only, or whatever they're calling it these days)

a long and short of my old style and a long and short of my MEGA (😆) size.

Unless you have thoughts on just one size/type ?

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I haven't found any. It would be great to get some reference material made for the techniques in use here in the 21st century.

Concur. I don’t get to see many revolver shooters in shoots, if there is any we normally aren’t squadded together. 

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I haven't found any. It would be great to get some reference material made for the techniques in use here in the 21st century.

My fastest reload ever was today at 2.82. So yeah, some good instruction would help :)