Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended cylinder release

SSGGlock

Quick question. The folks that use the strong hand reload, do you use an extended release? I can see how it would be beneficial to weak hand reloads. Reason asking, I have a 686 PC with the factory extended release. With the regular release, when I roll the gun to open the cylinder, my thumb hits it perfectly and I’m done. With the extended it’s not as smooth. Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I use the strong/switch hands JM style reload.  I tried a Hogue Extended and like you it interfered with my "roll".  A few years ago when I was practicing religiously I was able to frequently break under 1.9 seconds on a reload, shot to shot with a hit at under 7 yards (not always A's though!).  Not anything near JM, or even some others who now reign supreme.  Never could get close though when I had the extended release on.

I practice the weak/same hand reload style also, just enough to be confident if I need it in a match, which I have.  I tried it with both a regular and the extended release.  For me the extended didn't help any.  If one was to practice hard I'm sure the extended release would help on the same hand reload.

It's definitely helpful in both cases on Rugers, given the ergonomics of its cylinder release.

For what it's worth, I've pretty much decided to switch from the strong hand reload to the weak hand reload after making my extended cylinder release. My top speed with both is about the same (~2.0s in practice so far), but I can do the weak hand reload a lot more reliably while moving or under pressure, and my grip is usually better when I'm done.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

No, I use the strong/switch hands JM style reload.  I tried a Hogue Extended and like you it interfered with my "roll".  A few years ago when I was practicing religiously I was able to frequently break under 1.9 seconds on a reload, shot to shot with a hit at under 7 yards (not always A's though!).  Not anything near JM, or even some others who now reign supreme.  Never could get close though when I had the extended release on.

I practice the weak/same hand reload style also, just enough to be confident if I need it in a match, which I have.  I tried it with both a regular and the extended release.  For me the extended didn't help any.  If one was to practice hard I'm sure the extended release would help on the same hand reload.

Thanks, that’s exactly what happens to me.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

It's definitely helpful in both cases on Rugers, given the ergonomics of its cylinder release.

For what it's worth, I've pretty much decided to switch from the strong hand reload to the weak hand reload after making my extended cylinder release. My top speed with both is about the same (~2.0s in practice so far), but I can do the weak hand reload a lot more reliably while moving or under pressure, and my grip is usually better when I'm done.

I can see that on a ruger, I saw your extended release you made, very nice. I’ve tried the weak hand and can do it if forced, but it’s not efficient at all for me.

32 minutes ago, revoman said:

Thanks I guess there is another place to get a copy of the Hogue cylinder release 

Some people think it’s made by Hogue, but there’s no writing. The under side that attaches to the bolt, looks exactly like a regular SW release. With the +- relief cuts. Apparently SW will not sale it as a part.

I use the short extended release and reload strong hand.

I don’t really notice the time difference, but I have noticed how much more control I have over the muzzle with the extended release since I can just move my thumb up and reach it rather than have the roll the gun to reach a stock release. 

I have to cut my short extended releases in half on the face and round all the edges off on the back and bottom. My high grip forces my thumb to ride against the release and it only takes one full belt of moons to dig a nice hole into my knuckle. 

On my steel challenge guns I just have a factory release to stay out of the way of an aggressive draw. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

I don’t really notice the time difference, but I have noticed how much more control I have over the muzzle with the extended release since I can just move my thumb up and reach it rather than have the roll the gun to reach a stock release. 

I have to cut my short extended releases in half on the face and round all the edges off on the back and bottom. My high grip forces my thumb to ride against the release and it only takes one full belt of moons to dig a nice hole into my knuckle. 

On my steel challenge guns I just have a factory release to stay out of the way of an aggressive draw. 

I’m trying to picture how it gives more muzzle control. Could you possibly post a picture of one of your cut releases. Is it the short hogue release? 

11 hours ago, MWP said:

Well I don't think any of us mere mortals, i.e. not multiple champions!!!, can argue with the results of your technique.

But, since you shift the revolver to your weak hand to reload with your strong your muzzle will shift there as well.  So it would seem there is not much of a time advantage, or disadvantage, and it all comes down to what you either naturally or have trained yourself to do.

For me the "roll" to shift the revolver, opening the cylinder and the punching of the release are all part of the same motion (it also works for me with Ruger revolvers, but I'd hazard that an extended release on a Ruger would work with the same motion).  Whereas when I tried an extended release it was 2 separate motions.  The first to punch the release, the 2nd to pop the cylinder and shift hands.  I never could get those two to be done as one motion without fumbling something.

Of course you are one of the few Revolver Competitors who use a finger on the trigger guard!  And one can not argue with your results!

32 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Well I don't think any of us mere mortals, i.e. not multiple champions!!!, can argue with the results of your technique.

But, since you shift the revolver to your weak hand to reload with your strong your muzzle will shift there as well.  So it would seem there is not much of a time advantage, or disadvantage, and it all comes down to what you either naturally or have trained yourself to do.

For me the "roll" to shift the revolver, opening the cylinder and the punching of the release are all part of the same motion (it also works for me with Ruger revolvers, but I'd hazard that an extended release on a Ruger would work with the same motion).  Whereas when I tried an extended release it was 2 separate motions.  The first to punch the release, the 2nd to pop the cylinder and shift hands.  I never could get those two to be done as one motion without fumbling something.

Of course you are one of the few Revolver Competitors who use a finger on the trigger guard!  And one can not argue with your results!

Oh I’m not sure I’d agree with that. I think there are plenty of different techniques that are relevant and could win matches today. My style works for me, but I don’t think it’s the only way to go. 

There’s so much that it takes to compete at the top levels with those guys. They’re so good, so consistent, it’s daunting. And every one of us has a different style. I have 4 distinctly different reloading techniques that I bring to a match. And I have a couple more that are deep in a bag of tricks if I need them. Everyday I train or get on here or social media and I see a different technique or some slight variation I note it and take it to offseason training to see if that’s something I could use. 

I felt that I was turning the muzzle left while the gun was still in my right hand to get the cylinder open. This posed a problem for me when I needed to turn left. Before I found the cylinder releases to help (not solve) this problem I planned my reload before the stage to compensate for that left 180 edge. Then once I figured out that I could open the cylinder with the short release without the gun nosing left I felt that was an advantage and switched all my guns to those releases. 

Oh, and with the short extended release I can open the cylinder with only 1 hand on the gun if needed. Thumb on release, trigger finger moves up to cylinder. Although I don’t use it much in matches, it’s a skill (and in this case a cylinder release) that I have in the event I need it. 

I have Dave’s small releases pictures above on IDPA guns since that’s all that’s legal. Good stuff if you’re looking for a small piece that’s larger than stock. 

15264419-4096-4B85-9859-674DBE29E33C.jpeg

I remember this being discussed when it was first being released. Means something along the lines of extended releases are now legal if you choose to play in production division, or whatever IDPA division that requires factory parts.

Edited by alecmc

1 hour ago, MWP said:

I have Dave’s small releases pictures above on IDPA guns since that’s all that’s legal. Good stuff if you’re looking for a small piece that’s larger than stock. 

15264419-4096-4B85-9859-674DBE29E33C.jpeg

(Just so everyone knows, the above pic is not a DaveP release)

6 minutes ago, alecmc said:

I remember this being discussed when it was first being released. Means something along the lines of extended releases are now legal if you choose to play in production division, or whatever IDPA division that requires factory parts.

The talk went along the line that you would be able to use the new S&W release in

the non-moonclipped catagory of IDPA since it is a factory replacement part, not sure

anyone has tried to get it passed by any SO's yet.

Edited by 10mmdave

2 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

(Just so everyone knows, the above pic is not a DaveP release)

Yes, that is correct. 

the picture I posted is the Hogue short chopped in half that SSGGlock asked me for. 

Dave’s releases are pictured higher up the thread, by 10mmdave.