Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frankford Arsenal FX-10 progressive press

1 hour ago, tntubalcain said:

Just received my X-10 this week and am still fine tuning the set-up. What are the options for a powder check die? I prefer one that beeps and it looks like the Double Alpha version will not work on this press.

I ordered Mark7 universal powder check I hear the DAA doesn't fit on press between other dies but the Mark 7 does..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
On 4/1/2024 at 9:15 AM, GAMountains said:

Save your money.... J U N K !!!

Really useful post this without any explanation.
I’m not saying you’re necessarily wrong but do you care to share the issues you’ve encountered to form this opinion?

Most times I hear this type of comment is when the user has not set it up and adjusted correctly.

hi McHaggis,

I had the same thought as your post.
Please accept that I like your post and the next part is not intended
as anything except my own thinking at that time.
Some times it is clear a lot of strong emotion is intended as the only point.
They can't yet post reasons.  sad ain't it.

In a few days he will be back and explain.  I expect.  nuttin...

Now.

You've reminded me and I appreciate that.
lets evaluate GAMountains' review.

Shall we? What is junk?
I found I was trying to decide how bad can a press get
to qualify as junk...

Lee's four hole turret press is not junk...
And there are, possibly, better ammo making presses.

Some one has said the FX is better than a LnL.

(I have to add I have not run the LnL

so I don't know for sure what it may imply)

There is a value component in the review.

As the presses I have will keep up with my reloading needs.
The FX is unlikely to be purchased soon, if ever.  
So I can't claim to know the value for anyone reloading that much.

At the price of the FX, I would think it would mash, advance, and repeat.

To be clear  I believe  the press did not operate as expected
and as the only detail for why is "junk,"  at this point I have to use my definition.

I find it hard to agree that the press is junk.
On what I have heard otherwise stated, I have not seen a pattern of many fails.
Yeah a failed bearing is a problem.
I have also heard that was a QC problem and
replacement bearings are available.

Once FA stops supporting the press?
Well, then we will revisit the topic.

any one who has a an FX press and likes it?
share some?
anyone have an unresolved issue?  (and will write a bit more...)

miranda

I like mine a lot.

I had the typical primer problems, but i got it all worked out. It seemed to be more 1 brand of brass screwing me up more then anything, but I sold my LNL setup for this and I’d do it again.. 

maybe if it was painted blue it would get the light of day on this forum……

8 hours ago, Zachjet said:

I like mine a lot.

I had the typical primer problems, but i got it all worked out. It seemed to be more 1 brand of brass screwing me up more then anything, but I sold my LNL setup for this and I’d do it again.. 

maybe if it was painted blue it would get the light of day on this forum……

I agree! I like mine a lot. It’s not perfect, but what progressive press is. They all have quirks and such.

3 hours ago, RAP said:

I agree! I like mine a lot. It’s not perfect, but what progressive press is. They all have quirks and such.

Take into the price vs a mark7(only thing comparable). Everyone forgets that 

all auto indexing presses have quirks...
hmmmm

ok the FX press is competing with a mark 7.
class leader on price. that has my attention.

I have to stand up a puzzle?
If the word quirky is a center of the road description
for all the "tinker fun" found in a lee bullet feeder...
I would say a 4 hole turret has quirks.
that line is hard to see in the 650...

so things like the operation of the powder drop
is different from press to press.  uh.
I think this can be the answer
Works as Intended... can be a quirk.

ok so y'all had new press adjustments to make...
and now, the settings are good and you like the ammo?
did you need to add reinforcement plates?
(bench or press) (walls, floors) traction tape?   
Have you sent out for more supplies?

miranda

On 4/6/2024 at 9:37 PM, McHaggis said:

Really useful post this without any explanation.
I’m not saying you’re necessarily wrong but do you care to share the issues you’ve encountered to form this opinion?

Most times I hear this type of comment is when the user has not set it up and adjusted correctly.

I have owned this press since Nov'23. Between the constant press lockups and case failures for my 9mm and 223 rounds, I've loaded maybe 75 - 9mm and 0 - 223. I'm retired and have nothing but time and have worked on this junk since purchasing. FA told me I had a bad small primer assembly and sent me a new assembly. Put on the press and the third pull of the handle it locked. That was with NO dies, No cases and only ten primers in the tube. Primers either get crushed or turned sideways causing the press to lockup.

I'm not new to reloading as I own Dillon 650 and 2 - 1050's. I've reloaded for over twenty-five years. Love the blue.... It works

Now FA has ghosted me....

In my experience, FA has pretty good customer service.  I have always just called them when I had issues.  I heard they do not respond as well to emails. 

I purchaased my X-10 about 2 months after they were released.  I do not use their powder drop as I heard they are wildely inaccurate.  Been using my lee powder drop on the X-10 and everything works pretty well.  

Only issue I've had is the 9mm brass not being pushed all the way into the shell plate on rare occasions.  Never had an issue with their priming system.

23 hours ago, GAMountains said:

I have owned this press since Nov'23. Between the constant press lockups and case failures for my 9mm and 223 rounds, I've loaded maybe 75 - 9mm and 0 - 223. I'm retired and have nothing but time and have worked on this junk since purchasing. FA told me I had a bad small primer assembly and sent me a new assembly. Put on the press and the third pull of the handle it locked. That was with NO dies, No cases and only ten primers in the tube. Primers either get crushed or turned sideways causing the press to lockup.

I'm not new to reloading as I own Dillon 650 and 2 - 1050's. I've reloaded for over twenty-five years. Love the blue.... It works

Now FA has ghosted me....

Did you call or email? Even on there facebook lives they say to call don't email.

Hi GAMountains,

6 posts here. I did not notice that afore...

welcome to the forum.

From what we have in this thread,  your lock-up is

not common.   I do not own one of these presses.

I am pretty sure I could help, and that has me wondering

how to give you any assistance. 

you state mangled primers and locked press.

I can imagine that a stopped stroke to avoid setting off a primer

could be a positive feature.

Is the press mangling the primer first and then locking

or are the two happening at once?

ETA:  I re-read your post...  have any guesses for the primers getting flipped?

I can't speak for FA.  some get good customer service and some don't.

If you decide the press is junk, can you return it and be done?

I know the members of this forum are excellent puzzle solvers

even if they tend to being cavalier on toes and feelings.

try to get a photo or two of what you think is the problem...

and see if some one notices a bent part or such.

miranda

Edited by Miranda

I had good luck with CS.   I usual email any pictures I have, and then call.  This way the rep can see my pictures as I talk with them on the phone. They have been fairly quick about sending me out any replacement parts. I’d say their CS Is very good. 

Tax return is coming and I was thinking about getting one of these. Looks like Midway will throw in a bullet collator for free right now too. I  have been using Dillon 650s with mr buller feeder for 10+ years. I like the sound having primer crimp removal but truth of the matter is I probably only loose 1 or so every 100 to 200 in 9mm to crimped primers 

Edited by Chillywig

that crimp removal stationis the only part of that machine

I would want over the 650. 

I bought a biig bag of range brass.  1/4 was wcc. ( 9mm and crimped)

did not learn... got another bag cause cheap.

been doing them one at a time...  and range 223 is usually crimped

since I have to size and trim as one pass in the 650,

any one 223 case is always two press passes. 

the need to decrimp is a pass in another press hand fed...

with the FX, I was hoping I could add the decrimp in that first pass

and possibly add a mouth deburr contraption.

that first pass option can be automated with few 

concerns about primer or powder safety.

(think no computer needed.)

miranda

Edited by Miranda
re phrase of de crimp

Hey Miranda.  Thanks for your reply.  
GAMountians.  Thanks for posting what issues you’re actually having.  If that was me having those issues I’m sure I’d think it was junk too.

However…

Most times there’s issue like you’re talking about it’s either caused by adjustment not being 100% correct or alignment issues caused by a stack up of machining tolerances with put things in slightly the wrong place.  I know next to nothing about the X10 which is why I’m looking around for posts of reloaders experiences to gauge if this press is worth considering as I see it’s currently on sale with a free bullet collator, which makes it even more attractive.  

I currently run a LnL AP with I’ve got running great but it took a bit of playing with and a few mods but now the only annoyance is the raining brass from the collator, which I’ve almost conquered, yet most people say this press is junk too, simply because they’ve never used one and simply repeat what they’ve heard, or they never set up the one they used correctly.  I’m happy with mine but I simply want more stations which is why the X10 is on my radar.

Id love to hear from anyone else that’s had good, average or bad luck with this press.

1 hour ago, McHaggis said:

Hey Miranda.  Thanks for your reply.  
GAMountians.  Thanks for posting what issues you’re actually having.  If that was me having those issues I’m sure I’d think it was junk too.

However…

Most times there’s issue like you’re talking about it’s either caused by adjustment not being 100% correct or alignment issues caused by a stack up of machining tolerances with put things in slightly the wrong place.  I know next to nothing about the X10 which is why I’m looking around for posts of reloaders experiences to gauge if this press is worth considering as I see it’s currently on sale with a free bullet collator, which makes it even more attractive.  

I currently run a LnL AP with I’ve got running great but it took a bit of playing with and a few mods but now the only annoyance is the raining brass from the collator, which I’ve almost conquered, yet most people say this press is junk too, simply because they’ve never used one and simply repeat what they’ve heard, or they never set up the one they used correctly.  I’m happy with mine but I simply want more stations which is why the X10 is on my radar.

Id love to hear from anyone else that’s had good, average or bad luck with this press.

I had an LNL and also took me awhile to get running but was running well. I went to x-10 cause of swaging and extra stations so I can run powder check with bullet feeder. Didn't take me too long to get running well. I did shim shell plate up .008 at 20,000 rounds main bearings started making noise and my COAL went from +-.005 to +-.010. The bearing journals are a little big and bearings start to move. I replaced bearings with Koyo bearing and used green loctite and press is a lot smoother and my COAL is +-.005 or better. I've had problems with priming station but mostly from forgetting to put primer rod back in jams happen when you run it out of primers. The only issue I have now is the occasional station 1 brass not going in to shell plate but that's less than 1% of the time. I'm happy with the press and would do it again. I have not used powder drop I had a the Hornady already set so been using that so can't speak to any issues with powder drop. An I have a Mr bullet feeder that was on my LNL.

Edited by dtuns

9 hours ago, dtuns said:

I had an LNL and also took me awhile to get running but was running well. I went to x-10 cause of swaging and extra stations so I can run powder check with bullet feeder. Didn't take me too long to get running well. I did shim shell plate up .008 at 20,000 rounds main bearings started making noise and my COAL went from +-.005 to +-.010. The bearing journals are a little big and bearings start to move. I replaced bearings with Koyo bearing and used green loctite and press is a lot smoother and my COAL is +-.005 or better. I've had problems with priming station but mostly from forgetting to put primer rod back in jams happen when you run it out of primers. The only issue I have now is the occasional station 1 brass not going in to shell plate but that's less than 1% of the time. I'm happy with the press and would do it again. I have not used powder drop I had a the Hornady already set so been using that so can't speak to any issues with powder drop. An I have a Mr bullet feeder that was on my LNL.

I’ve been having some issues with my OAL being quite big. I chalked it up to brass issues for the most part but I am wondering if my press has the issues you had. Which bearings did you replace? The main bearing inside the press, I guess? And where does this shim go for the shell plate? 

17 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

I’ve been having some issues with my OAL being quite big. I chalked it up to brass issues for the most part but I am wondering if my press has the issues you had. Which bearings did you replace? The main bearing inside the press, I guess? And where does this shim go for the shell plate? 

Yes the big main bearings. The shim goes under shell plate between press and bearing of shell plate. You can get the shims at Mcmaster Carr P/N's 98089A513, 98055A513 and the main bearings were these KOYO JAPAN 6910 2RS Deep Groove Ball Bearings 50x72x12mm 6910RS 61910-RS takes two of them

8 hours ago, dtuns said:

Yes the big main bearings. The shim goes under shell plate between press and bearing of shell plate. You can get the shims at Mcmaster Carr P/N's 98089A513, 98055A513 and the main bearings were these KOYO JAPAN 6910 2RS Deep Groove Ball Bearings 50x72x12mm 6910RS 61910-RS takes two of them

Man you really went above and beyond providing those part numbers. How much of a pain was it to replace the main bearing? I had a hard time replacing the bearings on the indexing arm.

14 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

Man you really went above and beyond providing those part numbers. How much of a pain was it to replace the main bearing? I had a hard time replacing the bearings on the indexing arm.

Wasn’t to bad maybe an hour.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:49 AM, dtuns said:

Did you call or email? Even on there facebook lives they say to call don't email.

Yes and all they do is throw parts at the press, but the problems continue...

Edited by GAMountains

Does anyone else think this press is a complete hunk of crap?   Nothing but problems since day 1.  I will say customer service has been excellent, they send out replacement parts ASAP,  but the machine just doesnt work well.  Brass feeding issues at station 1.  I have shimmed the shell plate, its better.. Busted bearings, bullet seater is crap, case feeder was dead after 50 cases.  It seems over engineered just to break.   1000% full of regret buying this machine.   Will go back to Dillon.