Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frankford Arsenal FX-10 progressive press

I would recommend it because a Dillon 750 with a case feeder and conversion kit is about the same price as the X-10. The press is new so it's hard to find custom and aftermarket parts for it. A guy on Instagram b_team_engineering is working out some automation already using his motor from his 1050/1100

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

@Thomas918
Could you please expand on the "putting graphinte all into the powder hopper"?j

Best,
David

On 4/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, Thomas918 said:

I just loaded another 1500 rounds on it. The only hickups I had this time were cases were stuck at the top of the case feeder tube that I just stuck a pick into and it cleared up(the feeder has a slot in it just for clearing cases). It's my first motorized case feeder so I'm not sure if that happens with them or not. I also haven't adjusted it since the first time I set it up. The stroke is long but not bothersome at all to me. It doesn't slow down the rate of loading at all and it doesn't have any resistance except at the bottom 10% when the cases enter the sizing die and such. The handle with literally fall down into position if you let it. Now with using more powders with it and putting graphite all into the powder hopper everything seems to have tightened up variance wise. I have a little bit of variance with n300 series powders though which doesn't surprise me. Surprisingly enough AA#2 doesn't leak very much at all despite it being the smallest and finest powder I've used to date.

I have 8 positions filled with dies. 2 decappers, a sizing die over the swage station, a hold down die over the prime station, Lee universal expander, powder dropper, then an empty station that will eventually be filled with a powder die or checker, then a seating die, and a taper crimp.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:51 PM, yelpspoon said:

@Thomas918

Best,
David

Powder measures can be a little erratic when brand new. Plus there seems to be more of a problem with static electricity and static cling when they are new.

Some people feel that cycling graphite powder through the mechanism and helps with both issues.

Personally I've never used the graphite but I do spend a lot of time cycling just regular gun powder through a new powder measure before I ever use it for actual loading.

Wiping the measure down inside the powder hopper with a dryer sheet can help with the static cling. This also often goes away after you've used the measure for a while but for some it can be problem. Depends on local weather, humidity, etc.

On 4/30/2023 at 6:51 PM, yelpspoon said:

@Thomas918

Best,
David

I had really bad static cling with my powders inside all the surfaces of the powder measure and hopper. I emptied the powder and put graphite into the hopper and coated everything. Cycling it through the drum and out the charging die. I made sure all the loose graphite was gone and filled it with new powder. When it was time to empty the powder at the end of the session, I had no static cling. I've used dryer sheets and it holds no flame to ultra fine graphite. It removed all static cling for me. Since graphite is used as a dry lubricant in many bearings, I felt it helped with the drum rotation also, since the drum surface has some tight tolerances. 

7 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

I had really bad static cling with my powders inside all the surfaces of the powder measure and hopper. I emptied the powder and put graphite into the hopper and coated everything. Cycling it through the drum and out the charging die. I made sure all the loose graphite was gone and filled it with new powder. When it was time to empty the powder at the end of the session, I had no static cling. I've used dryer sheets and it holds no flame to ultra fine graphite. It removed all static cling for me. Since graphite is used as a dry lubricant in many bearings, I felt it helped with the drum rotation also, since the drum surface has some tight tolerances. 

Yes. I'm not saying graphite isn't a good idea. Only that it may not be absolutely necessary for everybody.

12 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

I've used dryer sheets and it holds no flame to ultra fine graphite.

Would you mind sharing a link of fine graphite powder that you used on your x10? Looking to pick some up for mine. Thanks!

13 hours ago, ddc said:

Yes. I'm not saying graphite isn't a good idea. Only that it may not be absolutely necessary for everybody.

I just didn't have the time to cycle through the powder. It took my Lee auto drum multiple pounds to get coated and for it to rub smooth. I didn't want to order graphite for just one use but I'm glad I did. I went a long time dealing with certain powders clinging to surfaces. Even after cleaning and wiping with dryer sheets.

7 minutes ago, Thomas918 said:

I just didn't have the time to cycle through the powder. It took my Lee auto drum multiple pounds to get coated and for it to rub smooth. I didn't want to order graphite for just one use but I'm glad I did. I went a long time dealing with certain powders clinging to surfaces. Even after cleaning and wiping with dryer sheets.

Good to know. The next time I get a new hopper or measure I will consider graphite. Thanks.

So yesterday at about 5000 rounds on the press. I broke a bearing on the indexing arm. It happened when a Ginex primer, which are on the larger side, got caught in the primer wheel instead of falling into its hole in the wheel, and got crushed. I muscled through it and pushed too hard which puts alot of pressure on the bearing that the cam action rolls on. Now this is a known issue which will be replaced under warranty I'm sure. So long story short. Don't use Ginex primers if you are really cranking high speed on the press. Half the rounds I have loaded have been with CCI and the other has been Ginex. The Ginex has hiccups every once and a while. The CCI feed and seat like butter though with no issues.

29 minutes ago, Zachjet said:

I actually broke the piece on my horaday LNL while using Ginex primers.

not saying it should have happened, just saying I understand lol 

Those babies are hard to seat. I broke a Lee auto bench prime where the shell holder is held in by the metal frame. I have 10k left and can't wait to use them up. They also dont light up Vihtavuori powders very well and double my ES and SD on every powder in my inventory. 

1 hour ago, Thomas918 said:

Those babies are hard to seat. I broke a Lee auto bench prime where the shell holder is held in by the metal frame. I have 10k left and can't wait to use them up. They also dont light up Vihtavuori powders very well and double my ES and SD on every powder in my inventory. 

Agreed.  I kinda “panic bought” a case of 5k. And the next day target sports restocked federals for just about the same money

i use the ginex as practice ammo, and feds as match ammo 

On 5/9/2023 at 3:43 AM, Thomas918 said:

So yesterday at about 5000 rounds on the press. I broke a bearing on the indexing arm. It happened when a Ginex primer, which are on the larger side, got caught in the primer wheel instead of falling into its hole in the wheel, and got crushed. I muscled through it and pushed too hard which puts alot of pressure on the bearing that the cam action rolls on. Now this is a known issue which will be replaced under warranty I'm sure. So long story short. Don't use Ginex primers if you are really cranking high speed on the press. Half the rounds I have loaded have been with CCI and the other has been Ginex. The Ginex has hiccups every once and a while. The CCI feed and seat like butter though with no issues.

Thomas, 

I purchased a 10 pack of the beefed up replacement bearings that were recommended and proven to solve the issue as reported by people during the trial period. I installed them on my press during set-up and have plenty extra. I'm not sure where you are located (I'm in Oregon) but I'd be happy to give you 2 if you're interested. My understanding is that FA will send you the same bearings that come stock with the x10 so the issue could repeat itself. Here's a link to the beefed up replacement bearings that I purchased. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D499GB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

8 hours ago, wavebywave said:

Thomas, 

I purchased a 10 pack of the beefed up replacement bearings that were recommended and proven to solve the issue as reported by people during the trial period. I installed them on my press during set-up and have plenty extra. I'm not sure where you are located (I'm in Oregon) but I'd be happy to give you 2 if you're interested. My understanding is that FA will send you the same bearings that come stock with the x10 so the issue could repeat itself. Here's a link to the beefed up replacement bearings that I purchased. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D499GB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I appreciate the offer, but I loaded up my seasons worth of ammo so I won't need them anytime soon. I will buy the bearings in a few months. I wouldn't have known which to buy so I am glad you sent that link. I put it on my wishlist. They definitely look beefier than the "updated" bearings they sent out with the production units. 

I was really cranking out of the rounds the last day I was loading on it. Once you get the rhythm, and the case plunger and feeder set up perfectly, it really hums along. 

I saw the press for the first time yesterday at a friends house. Very impressive, it’s a lot of press for the money! I wanted to compare it to my 1050. There are many things I liked better, 10 stations, basic design, the way the primer tower assembly can be removed without losing primers, indexing, lights, buttons instead of pins, case feeder design, cost. I only saw it in 9mm operation. Dislikes 180 degrees handle rotation, although it was very easy and was much easier and took less force to operate than my 1050, and it looks like the powder drop is just a flat surface over the top of the case and not s powder funnel? I think the handle problem could be solved for pistol cases by using a shorter handle causing a shorter throw and you don’t need as much force. They have bullet feeder coming, and its going to feed and seat the bullet this would be a big improvement over the AA because it eliminates the bullets moving before being seated.

So I came straight home and ordered everything!

Two hours later! After having time to think about it! I canceled the order. I really liked everything I saw, but I decided my 1050 plus bullet feeder does everything it does. 
Conclusion, I will buy one after they have the bullet feeder and have a little more use out in the consumers hands. Just my .02.    JD

Edited by JDIllon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...