Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Gen 2 mag follower besides Grams or TTI

louu

Ok I just got a bunch of 140 Gen 2 STI .40 cal mags. The first thing I tried were the grams kits FKS-11 and a Taran follower with a Taran spring and both styles popped out of the top of the mag and jammed the gun up. Everything is brand new. The stock guts are junk and caused a jam the first time I ran a half mag. I knew they were witch is why I had the grams kits. 

So what else is there? 

11 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Sounds like you need to tune the feed lips. Might be too wide

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw it popped out but they all measured the same right around .375-.378, I thought that was a hair on the tight side. 

30 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Capt. Obvious here!

Are they 9mm/38 followers by chance

I hope not. I got them from shooters connection and there's no option for just 40. It's either 9mm with spacer or 9/38/40 without spacer. Here's what I got and here's them popped out jamming the gun up20210102_182003_resized.thumb.jpg.8ce0e65320e04c17b87d4e0a9b0c6074.jpg

20210102_182006_resized.jpg

I dont even waste money on the grams kits for 40 cal. Trim the bottom of the followers and install a TTI 4G basepad. Boom 20 rounds reloadable and reliable. I've got 10 gen two STI 140 setup like this and all are 100% reliable.

15 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I dont even waste money on the grams kits for 40 cal. Trim the bottom of the followers and install a TTI 4G basepad. Boom 20 rounds reloadable and reliable. I've got 10 gen two STI 140 setup like this and all are 100% reliable.

Not sure what you mean.  I use grams stuff in all my magazines. 20rds reloadable and reliable as well

1 hour ago, cheby said:

Not sure what you mean.  I use grams stuff in all my magazines. 20rds reloadable and reliable as well

I ment exactly what I said. Stock follower and spring is 100% reliable. Just trim the bottom legs of the follower. 

Try to see if the feed mips

are correct. The only other ones I’ve had experience with are MBX. It was many years ago but they were garbage. The springs lasted maybe 3-4 months and shrunk 4 coils. 

that was a couple years ago and maybe they have improved on it. 

Thanks for all the replies guys. 

Ok I finally got the mags all tuned, they really were not far off, the grams followers still pop out of the top of all of them.

@Bakerjd are you polishing the stock follower or anything? The plastic is soft and very draggie in the tube and causing it to stick witch causes the jams.

This kinda sucks because I've been using the same set of Gen 1 and 2 mags in my 9mm Apeiro with the same grams guts for over 4 years, not a single jam and haven't done any tuning whatsoever. I was really hoping for that kind of reliability for this new gun. 

4 hours ago, louu said:

Thanks for all the replies guys. 

Ok I finally got the mags all tuned, they really were not far off, the grams followers still pop out of the top of all of them.

@Bakerjd are you polishing the stock follower or anything? The plastic is soft and very draggie in the tube and causing it to stick witch causes the jams.

This kinda sucks because I've been using the same set of Gen 1 and 2 mags in my 9mm Apeiro with the same grams guts for over 4 years, not a single jam and haven't done any tuning whatsoever. I was really hoping for that kind of reliability for this new gun. 

I cut the front and back legs off the follower flush with the little nipples that hold it to the spring with a pair of side cutters then sand where I cut with 500 grit sand paper just enough to get the sharp edge off. Install a TTI 4G base plate and that's it. Well I guess the first thing I do is take it out of the package lol. Been running them for 2 years like this now. In a RIA and now a STI. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, cheby said:

What part number of the grams kits do you use? Are you're mags sti Gen 2 40 cal mags? 

On 2/3/2021 at 6:59 PM, vtecpaoche said:

I use FKS-11 with no issues.  My followers are not tilted like that though.  It is held nice and centered whereas it seems your follower is somehow able to pop up on one side.

Yeah that's the same part number I have and that's exactly what's going on, it tilts up on the one side and pops out. I don't get it, I sent an email to grams but no reply. I'll call them tomorrow if I get time. 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, redwoods said:

Are the followers getting hung up on the slide stop?

The grams ones? No, the whole follower was popping out of the top of the magazine. If I remember correctly it was clearing the slide stop because I cut that part off of the follower. 

Update to this whole situation, luckily atlas makes followers for these mags now and they are 100% reliable for me. Well kinda, I have 1 out of 5 that locks the slide back with 1 round still in the mag but I just use that one last on my belt. I can't remember which springs I ended up with but it wasn't the atlas recommended springs. They were given me trouble. I think I may be using ismi springs.