Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The keto diet is FOR REAL

Nick_shoots_fast

Almost at 30 pounds in less than 2 1/2 months just by following a strict low carb, high fat diet. I need to get faster for next season and this diet is for real. Once I get down to 190ish I’m gonna start hitting sprints and other stuff to get my movement in and out of positions better. 

I finally got on board when 2 of the guys who i shoot and train with did it and lost some serious weight. 

Edited by Atlasguy321

I don't know how old you are, but at my age,(52) sprinting isn't a good idea for long term mobility.  It's the slowing down from the sprint that hurts me.  I work on overall leg/core strength for those movements.  In fact, my Department took the 300 meter run out of our PT test because it hurt so many people.

went throught the same, was doing endurance racing for a number of years (horse) and wasnt that successful till I went full atkins.  Went from 276 ride weight to 212. Never made midweight division as that was 211. Wanted to do one race, but at that weight I looked like skelator.

Granted all that weight wasnt me. As you weigh in dressed and holding all your gear..  Personally I dropped from 240 to 176.. But was week,  Felt and did better at 185-190. I am 6foot.  Years of knee pain , hip pain, ankle pain etc went away.
Although my doctor told me that,,, He is kinda old school; blunt.  "Your knees are fine,, its your a@#$ thats the problem"

ALso learned there is little to no potassium in low carb diets.. Started cramping up bad on my second 50 after losing weight. Nearly failed the vetchecks... Horse got an A,,, rider not so much. Fortunately Vets dont care if the rider dies.  After that starded adding dried bananas to my diet a few days out and then found some Keto specific supplements.

Surprisingly horse elyte doses work for people too.
Point being get some KETO specific supplements, 

For me low carb was easy. I NEVER had a sweet tooth, and drank diet soda and unsweet Tea anyways. Just dont like sugar, never have. A cookie here or there or so0m cheesecake was about it.

Biggest issue is eating out or take out EVERYTHING is full of carbs,, or you get forced to pay for a bunch of stuff you cant eat. 

Currently I am sitting at 220,, kept weight off for about 5 years but its been creeping back.  I was on the verge of having myself and my horse ready for a 100 miler, and we both got severely injured on a training ride,  we both rehabbed but took about a year and I did one more 50 on her but we were both hating life and I lost my motivation. She is 19 now so too old to consider for 100's  So I started shooting again... Bowling pins. Can be fat and do that.

8 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Keto will eliminate all of your joint pain as well.  It’s a good diet for long events, endurance events, etc.  I stay fresher much longer when in ketosis versus any kind of carb diet. 

I’m 33 and I work construction. My right knee pain sucked when I had to go up ladders and high stairs. Pain is gone now! Can’t wait to shoot in 2021 after Doing some movement training in the winter. 

On 12/24/2020 at 10:31 AM, Atlasguy321 said:

Almost at 30 pounds in less than 2 1/2 months just by following a strict low carb, high fat diet. I need to get faster for next season and this diet is for real. Once I get down to 190ish I’m gonna start hitting sprints and other stuff to get my movement in and out of positions better. 

I finally got on board when 2 of the guys who i shoot and train with did it and lost some serious weight. 

Give us an idea of what you ARE eating and drinking since carbs are in so many things.

No carbs in Jim Beam !,

Just gotts read lables... Seems the put sugar in EVERYTHING !,, food companies lie to us.. Back when I thought I was eating good, things like store bought greek yogurt, whole grain this and that, all full of SUGAR.

I cant tell the difference between no sugar added peanut butter and with sugar, tastes the same.

Read labels and really its more a lifestyle change than a diet. Eating out is the hardest part.

Grains, breads, pastas , fruit, potatoes. out.

meats, eggs, green colored vegetables, like zuchini and spinach, white salad dressings,,, ranch blue cheese ceaser tend to be ok.

There are alot of substitutes but you generally have to mail order it. 
Low carb breads, low carb pastas. I buy black soy beans and use them anywhere you would use notherns or pinto beans. They just take longer to cook... Things like chili and ham and beans.

I make seafood chowder but used chopped up cauliflour instead of potatos.

Good ole cornbeef and cabbage. 

I make my own yogurt.

• 11 months later...

I light off the benefits Keto diet has for people, i would air on the side of caution because it’s not meant for everyone.

Ketosis is a process that happens when your body doesn't have enough carbohydrates to burn for energy. Instead, it burns fat and makes things called ketones, which it can use for fuel. You’ll often hear about this when people are looking to lose weight or if they have diabetes.

if you’re regularly active, there isn’t a need for Keto and you’ll just need to adjust your diet. Keto is really meant for people who have a sedentary to semi-active lifestyle. 

• 2 months later...

My wife and I just started the keto process. We wanted to try something we could both get onboard with so we could motivate each other and don’t have to cook a hundred different meals a week. Both looking to drop body fat % and for me, make stage movements flow better. 

however, I feel the low amount of carbs. Just ran a 5k and it was terrible. Granted, I haven’t ran in a while so that didn’t help but my pace was slow with a fair amount of walking that I generally don’t do. Time will tell if this is the one for me. 

KETO is the best thing that has ever happened to my health. At first in the beginning before becoming fat adaptive you may feel weak and tired. After becoming completely fat adapted my energy levels are way beyond any other time in my life eating the standard American diet. With the combination of KETO and intermitted fasting I can go much longer periods of time with out a crash or running out of energy. An all day match is not a problem and I don't need a bunch of snacks to get me through the day not to mention my mental focus has greatly improved. My memory and total brain function has shown significant improvement. My brain is firing much faster than ever before. I used to have brain fog and trouble pulling my thoughts together. Eating the proper Human diet vs the Standard American diet has eliminated inflammation and swelling in my joints and the rest of my body. I am down to a very healthy weight, I no longer get headaches, my knees don't hurt, my fingers joints no longer hurt, and I have energy for days. I run regularly up to and including Marathons with no issues. An important aspect of the Ketogenic Lifestyle is to make sure to read the labels on everything and don't trust foods labeled as "KETO friendly" without checking it for yourself. The best way to navigate through all the BS is to learn the true meaning of the Ketogenic lifestyle which is not just eating low carbs. So much more is involved related to eliminating the inflammatory foods out of your diet. 

thats a very interesting point of view. I would love for this joint pain to go away. I do look forward to seeing what my energy levels end up being. currently though, I have a good amount of "stored energy" lol. I did try to explain to my wife that not everything labeled keto friendly is your friend. She found that out last night as instacart drove off. Headaches gone too would be a giant plus as I've had a headache for going on three years now lol. Dumb TBI's. Hopefully in a month I can start to have a good baseline of comparison. 

My diet is rather boring mostly revolving around grass fed beef, vegetables (salad greens, kale, carrots squash, broccoli etc), eggs, all kinds of berries, fish oil, red wine, vodka.  No a lot of what I eat comes out of a box.  I do occasionally eat chocolate, chips and pasta.  The trick there is buy really good snack foods.  The better quality and better taste means you will be satisfied quicker and eat less.

It's the mid level bland salty/sugary/fattyness that dominates  the fast food/processed food space that is the killer.  And it's designed that way, to get you to eat and eat and eat.  There was a great book on the food industry called sugar salt fat.

Add some strength training and you are good to go.  Along with some massage therapy.  I've got a good guy who's been working away on the mess that is my upper back and my soon to return elbow tendonitis from dryfire and shooting. 

strength training is key. I'm a big advocate of "if you have to pick on or the other" than to pick strength training. Silly work says that I have to run though lol. But I can feel it throughout my entire body. When I'm on a good routine, I just feel better and when I slack off I start to feel worse off and sore.