Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shadow2 or optic

SteveoCZ

On 12/24/2020 at 6:57 AM, SteveoCZ said:

Thanks to all you guys for your thoughtful input.  I have one last question. What is the preferred size dot you guys use?  I’d like to have a site picture to reach out and not cover the entire target.  On the other hand I want a target/point picture I’m able to pick up quickly in the sun at shorter range say 10-25 yards. 

I have both the 2.5 and 5.0 SROs. I have started to prefer the 5.0 for one main reason. I have an astigmatism which distorts the smaller dot creating a slight bursting effect. I found the 5.0 dots crisper and more round for my eyes. Less distorted if distorted at all. Not sure why that is, but the bigger dot should run fine at those distances. I have not found the 5.0 dot too big where it obscures targets at distance. 

At at the end of the day dot size is really a personal preference. You will gets dozens of answers. 

Holy crap, I had no idea 5.0 SROs were going for that much. If it were me I would buy one on back order from   Eurooptic.com.  The price is reasonable and when I order back ordered items from them, and I typically get them pretty quick. No promises though, you could be waiting a while due to current demand. 

Edited by Boomstick303

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/29/2020 at 11:37 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Don't be looking at the dot

BTW, SROs are going for crazy amounts because Trijicon is WAY behind in production.

Supply and demand.

Thank you I know its something I need to be conscious of when shooting its trying to focus on the target  and not the dot.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me :)

On 12/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Not the original DPPs.  I have heard of too many of them failing repeatedly for numerous people. Leupold has reportedly changed the boards to a more robust board, which now has me curious. I have liked the size and price point of the DPPs but reliability issues prevented me from buying any. I would research and find out if the reports on the new board are true.  At a minimum I would do a lot of research before shelling out the dough for one.

My SROs have been flawless with the exception of the battery door coming loose on my first one. The only issue with SROs and most dots (other than the new Sig Romeo 3 (Max and XL)) is the double dot issue when pointed into the sun. Not sure if the DPPs experience double dot issues when pointed ino the sun.  

Interesting ill have to look into that when I was running the dpp I never had any issues then again that was almost 2 years ago. Alot has changed since then lol

31 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

I know its something I need to be conscious of when shooting its trying to focus on the target  and not the dot.

Stretch some masking tape over the front of the lens to cover it completely and shoot it that way with both eyes open.  You will find out extremely quickly how well you're focusing on the target and not on the dot.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

24 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Stretch some masking tape over the front of the lens to cover it completely and shoot it that way with both eyes open.  You will find out extremely quickly how well you're focusing on the target and not on the dot.

Really!! I might have to try this once I make my purchase. Once the tax man come thru. Thank you for the advice I am deffinatly going to do this

46 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

Really!! I might have to try this once I make my purchase. Once the tax man come thru. Thank you for the advice I am deffinatly going to do this

Pro tip: if you do this and all you see is a dot superimposed on tape you're focusing on the dot.

The left eye sees the target.  The right eye sees the dot.  The brain joins both images and we see the dot superimposed on the target.

That's also why you want to look "past" the optic, not "through" the optic.

22 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Pro tip: if you do this and all you see is a dot superimposed on tape you're focusing on the dot.

The left eye sees the target.  The right eye sees the dot.  The brain joins both images and we see the dot superimposed on the target.

That's also why you want to look "past" the optic, not "through" the optic.

So you pretty much I want to be looking at the target and faintly see a red dot?

2 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

So you pretty much I want to be looking at the target and faintly see a red dot?

both will be in equal focus because the dot is projected in virtual infinity, but your visual effort needs to be on the target because the eyes can only focus on one plane in space at a time.

Try it. 

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

both will be in equal focus because the dot is projected in virtual infinity, but your visual effort needs to be on the target because the eyes can only focus on one plane in space at a time.

Try it. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok I understand it now. Funny I was just watching a YouTube channel called popsquest and all his sights have tape on em lol

I have two SROs, one with 2.5MOA and the other with 5MOA dot.  I couldn’t decide which one to get back in 2019 so ended up getting them both thinking I’d sell the one I didn’t like as much.  I got a second Shadow 2 this summer so now have one of each dot size mounted.  Comparing them side by side I can tell a difference in dot size.  By themselves, not so much. Both are perfectly serviceable in competition.  I may run the 2.5 a tad brighter than the 5 but that’s about it.  Shot the 2.5MOA last weekend at a match, 5 MOA today.  I placed about the same between the two matches.   

14 hours ago, 2MoreChains said:

I have two SROs, one with 2.5MOA and the other with 5MOA dot.  I couldn’t decide which one to get back in 2019 so ended up getting them both thinking I’d sell the one I didn’t like as much.  I got a second Shadow 2 this summer so now have one of each dot size mounted.  Comparing them side by side I can tell a difference in dot size.  By themselves, not so much. Both are perfectly serviceable in competition.  I may run the 2.5 a tad brighter than the 5 but that’s about it.  Shot the 2.5MOA last weekend at a match, 5 MOA today.  I placed about the same between the two matches.   

Do you find the 5moa to be to big when engaging targets out to 25 yards?

I've used the DPP, RMR and SRO on CO guns. They all work (though the DPPs were far less reliable). My top preference would be the SRO. The larger window is nice. I also much prefer the larger 5 MOA over the 2.5 MOA. But then, my eyes are getting older. That's become a more important factor for me these days. The bigger dot is just easier for me pick up at speed.

Edited by tbarker13

2 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

Heck yea I never like the rmr if I'm being honest the window for me was too small

You're not supposed to try to aim through the window.  Bring it up to your face, keep your head upright, and look at the target.

Then the window will not be small.

9 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You're not supposed to try to aim through the window.  Bring it up to your face, keep your head upright, and look at the target.

Then the window will not be small.

I understand I've been trying what you said with the tape on my g19 its kind of were getting used to it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/23/2021 at 6:00 PM, Zerofade said:

I also second all the advice given in this thread about stating target focused, don't look through the optic.

My first two matches and associated training sessions shooting a dot (after shooting Prod for a year), I put tape over the glass on the dot to force target focus.  If you have 100% target focus, the dot shows up just as it's supposed to.  Magic.  Hasn't been an issue since.  

I personally run 6moa DPPs and have had zero issues with holding zero, reliability, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 7:51 PM, Hooked said:

Romeo 3XL won’t fit a S2 OR unfortunately.

Yes it will, I have one on my S2 Blue. This guy sells the mount I used and so far so good about 400 rounds into it. There’s another place in the states that will make you one for 150.00 but their a ways out on delivery. 
https://fasttoys.net/shop/CZ-Shadow-2-Optics-Ready-Mount-For-FTP-Alpha-3-and-Romeo-3-Max-Red-Dot-Optics/

On 3/6/2022 at 8:30 PM, CSoupene said:

Yes it will, I have one on my S2 Blue. This guy sells the mount I used and so far so good about 400 rounds into it. There’s another place in the states that will make you one for 150.00 but their a ways out on delivery. 
https://fasttoys.net/shop/CZ-Shadow-2-Optics-Ready-Mount-For-FTP-Alpha-3-and-Romeo-3-Max-Red-Dot-Optics/

That mount didn’t exist in 2020 when I made that comment.