Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shadow2 or optic

SteveoCZ

I’ve been running my shadow 2 OR for the last six months with the sites shipped with the pistol. I’m ready to transition for the first time to a red dot. I’m sure there’s a lot of opinions out there but I’m looking for you guys input on your experiences.  SRO or RMR?  Other?

I’m not a match shooter anymore.  I’m 68 now and shoot at my range for fun. 

CZ-75c p10 shadow2 rami

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, mpmo said:

Very happy with my SRO.  Only probably 2K rounds through it, so I can't attest to the durability.  

I'm at exactly 3969 trouble free rounds through mine.  And 10845 through the RMR that I bought about 6 - 8 months prior to the SRO and was my first pistol optic.

I really like my SRO.  The only drawback is the “rim” is quite thick in comparison to some other optics.  I would buy it again.  The larger window made it easier to transition to a red dot from iron sights. 

Edited by KlausN

5 hours ago, KlausN said:

The only drawback is the “rim” is quite thick in comparison to some other optics. 

This is only an issue if someone tries to see the world through the optic itself.  If one is target focused (really target focused, not I think I'm focusing on targets but I'm really dot gazing) the frame virtually disappears.

I have a Romeo1 PRO mounted on a Shadow 2 OR and also on a 75 Bull Shadow OR. Both have been trouble free, not one hiccup. The Bull Shadow has 8 ,000 + rounds and the Shadow 2 5,500 rounds. Batteries have never failed however I change them every six months just for the sake of it. 1632 batteries are very cheap so why not.

I have tried most of the rest over the years, RMR, Holosun, Vortex Venom and for me nothing cones close to the Romeo1 PRO.

Thanks to all you guys for your thoughtful input.  I have one last question. What is the preferred size dot you guys use?  I’d like to have a site picture to reach out and not cover the entire target.  On the other hand I want a target/point picture I’m able to pick up quickly in the sun at shorter range say 10-25 yards.  

Lastly, do I need an adapter plate over my cutout, or will the SRO attach directly to the pistols cutout using the existing screw holes?

Based on all your input I’m going to try the SRO. My eyesight isn’t what it used to be and the size of the SRO frame doesn’t bother me. As you all know, the s2 is a hefty handgun  and I’m at an age where I don’t care about looking cool.    I just want to see and hit where I’m aiming. 

Edited by SteveoCZ
Misspelling

2 hours ago, SteveoCZ said:

What is the preferred size dot you guys use?  I’d like to have a site picture to reach out and not cover the entire target.  On the other hand I want a target/point picture I’m able to pick up quickly in the sun at shorter range say 10-25 yards. 

Are you familiar with how dot size is expressed and how to translate that angular measurement into a linear measurement at a particular distance?  Also, do you realize that you can make very precise shots even if the exact portion that you want to hit is covered by the dot?

I could tell you what I use and why which is what most people do, but I would rather give you the information that you need to make the best decision for yourself.

2 hours ago, SteveoCZ said:

Lastly, do I need an adapter plate over my cutout,

Yes, you do.  The whole point of the CZ Optics Ready system is that you're not stuck with one mounting pattern.  It's not just the threaded holes that vary, also the location of the recoil boss recesses at the bottom of many optics also varies.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Here is a link to a plate for the S2 OR.  This is the one I use.  Had a whole drilled by CGW for the extractor pin so you don't have to remove the plate when you remove the extractor.  Note this company shows 2 plates.  This is the one for the FACTORY S2 OR.

https://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-cz-p-10-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2

1 hour ago, mpmo said:

Here is a link to a plate for the S2 OR.  This is the one I use.  Had a whole drilled by CGW for the extractor pin so you don't have to remove the plate when you remove the extractor.  Note this company shows 2 plates.  This is the one for the FACTORY S2 OR.

https://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-cz-p-10-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2

I'd stay away from those (your link is for the P-10 plate anyway, OP needs one for the Shadow 2)

Their T-nut design means the screws that secure the sight to the plate are very thin.  I bought an RMR plate from theme for my P-10C carry gun because the CZ plate was out of stock in the CZ USA webstore.  I found a CZ plate at the Stonebrige Gunworks page and bought it to replace the CHPWS plate.

There are no better adapter plates for Optics Ready CZs that CZ's own plates.  They're steel, correctly machined, and correctly dimensioned.

CZ USA's webstore has them all, though sometimes some are out of stock.  It's worth the wait.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I'd stay away from those (your link is for the P-10 plate anyway, OP needs one for the Shadow 2)

Their T-nut design means the screws that secure the sight to the plate are very thin.  I bought an RMR plate from theme for my P-10C carry gun because the CZ plate was out of stock in the CZ USA webstore.  I found a CZ plate at the Stonebrige Gunworks page and bought it to replace the CHPWS plate.

There are no better adapter plates for Optics Ready CZs that CZ's own plates.  They're steel, correctly machined, and correctly dimensioned.

CZ USA's webstore has them all, though sometimes some are out of stock.  It's worth the wait.

I hope that is the right one.  It's sitting between my S2OR and SRO right now.  :)  Got another on the way as well for another build I'm doing.  I am guessing the cut is the same on the S2OR as the P10.  This is also the same company that CGW uses for their Optics ready version which gave me some confidence in my purchase.  That version is clearly marked on their website as the S2 Optics Ready version, but I believe that is strictly for the cut that CGW does.  

Beyond that, it is the only one I found in-stock both times I went to purchase.  I guess time will tell if the small screws are an issue.  As I said, I've only got 2k rounds through this setup.  It's not much, but I would also mention I've probalby put 4,000 trigger pulls through a Coolfire CO2 barrel on it, incl holstering, reloading drills etc.  Obviously not the same recoil, but that has to add up to something...

I've only been shooting competitively for 5 months, so consider this all a beginners perspective.  

Happy holidays everyone!!!!

Finished at 83% shooting my last match with a 6MOA Vortex Venom. The one after that was my first match with a 2.5MOA Trijicon SRO. Finished with 95%.

The red dot may have something to do with it.

2 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

For those that are running an sro do you find it to be worth the extra almost $400 you could get 2 dpp for that price.

Not sure about 400 extra?  I purchased my SRO locally for less than 500. 

Just now, AngeloConde said:

Say whatt I was looking online and saw they were somewhere in the 750 range. Maybe I might try and look around harder thats not a bad price at all

I wanted to buy a second one and can’t find another 5moa for a decent price now.  1 and 2.5 moa yes but we all seem to like the 5moa better. 

Just now, KlausN said:

I wanted to buy a second one and can’t find another 5moa for a decent price now.  1 and 2.5 moa yes but we all seem to like the 5moa better. 

Yea deffinatly need a bigger dot i had a 3 moa or maybe it was a 2.5 rmr and was a pain for me to see and I'm only 30 lol

29 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

Yea deffinatly need a bigger dot i had a 3 moa or maybe it was a 2.5 rmr and was a pain for me to see and I'm only 30 lol

Don't be looking at the dot

BTW, SROs are going for crazy amounts because Trijicon is WAY behind in production.

Supply and demand.

4 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

For those that are running an sro do you find it to be worth the extra almost $400 you could get 2 dpp for that price.

Not the original DPPs.  I have heard of too many of them failing repeatedly for numerous people. Leupold has reportedly changed the boards to a more robust board, which now has me curious. I have liked the size and price point of the DPPs but reliability issues prevented me from buying any. I would research and find out if the reports on the new board are true.  At a minimum I would do a lot of research before shelling out the dough for one.

My SROs have been flawless with the exception of the battery door coming loose on my first one. The only issue with SROs and most dots (other than the new Sig Romeo 3 (Max and XL)) is the double dot issue when pointed into the sun. Not sure if the DPPs experience double dot issues when pointed ino the sun.