Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan Powder

1911in9mm

For those that use Vectan, in particular the ones that have been using it for sometime.  How are they for consistency between lots?    I’ve read some older posts on other forums guys claiming they’re not getting close to published velocities out of them.

I’m wondering whether to chalk this up to inexperienced loaders, lot inconsistency, or them using incorrect data.

For my use in particular Ba9.5 and Ba9 would be pretty serviceable if they’re somewhat consistent between different lots.  

Some minor variations between lots would be no problems.  A couple of these guys were talking major differences.  Around 150-175 FPS from what published data suggests they would be at.  Of course that is giving the benefit of the doubt they were using actual data.  

8 hours ago, MeatPuppet said:

Prima V is the bomb.  A lot like VV N320. But there were variations in velocity Lot to Lot.  Luckily I bought in bulk.  Still have 30lbs left.

Darrell, your endorsement of it is the primary reason I’m looking to try Ba9.5 in the first place.  Thanks for sharing your load data and knowledge to us still looking to learn, it is appreciated.  

6 hours ago, Darrell said:

Prima V didn't work well for me, Ba 9 1\2 did much better for me and was closer in weight and velocity to N320 for my loads.

I used Prima V for a while for 9mm minor. Worked fine.

At that point in time availability was hit and miss and right about then Sport Pistol showed up as well as Clean Shot so I went with those.

It is another option that fits right into the Titegroup/320/SportPistol/CleanShot universe.

Edited by ddc
Replaced "Action Pistol" with "Sport Pistol"

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

only action pistol I am aware of is Winchester Action Pistol, completely different animal than the others. Quite a bit slower. maybe you meant sport pistol ?

Yeah I meant Sport Pistol. brain fart, thanks. 

I will edit my post. 🙂

8 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I use 9 and 91/2, but the load data they publish on their website is pretty far off.

Where are you at charge range, with 124 grain?  From what I’m seeing 3.9 to 4.4 grains looks like my ladder.   

8 hours ago, 1911in9mm said:

Where are you at charge range, with 124 grain?  From what I’m seeing 3.9 to 4.4 grains looks like my ladder.   

For Ba9 1/2 using 125gr coated bullets, my final load is 3.9gr, OAL 1.08" for an avg velocity of 1030fps

They're loaded that short because I'm shooting a CZ SP-01 Shadow, and also because the bullets are conical nose ones

13 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

For Ba9 1/2 using 125gr coated bullets, my final load is 3.9gr, OAL 1.08" for an avg velocity of 1030fps

They're loaded that short because I'm shooting a CZ SP-01 Shadow, and also because the bullets are conical nose ones

Thanks for that information.  CZ’s will be primarily what I’m loading for.  Along with a few Sig’s and a highly worked over Kimber.  

On 12/12/2020 at 5:26 AM, 1911in9mm said:

Some minor variations between lots would be no problems.  A couple of these guys were talking major differences.  Around 150-175 FPS from what published data suggests they would be at.  Of course that is giving the benefit of the doubt they were using actual data.  

is that variations between lots? or variations between their results and published data? those are very different things.

I don't pay much attention toe published data except as a starting point. I chrono my load until it is where I want it.

is prima v or ba9.5 actually available anywhere? I thought they stopped importing it. I am running low on ba9.5 (which I use for 40), but the local grocery store had IMR red when I went to buy onions and cheese the other day, so I picked up several lbs of that for cheap.

Edited by motosapiens

• 2 weeks later...

I also use GM3, and find that the variations are similar to what I get with Win231, HP38, and much better than when I load and chrono Titegroup. That was exactly one of the reasons I moved to Vectan powder, I can pick it up local and save HazMat fees. When I tested making loads and chrono'ed GM3 with 9 minor, 40 minor, and 40 major, I found it to be a great powder for what we shoot, Single Stack, Limited and PCC. So after testing for a few months and going through a few pounds, now I get it by the case. 

• 3 months later...

Just heard today that Graf's won't be the US distributor for Vectan Powders anymore. Hoping someone else decides to be a distributor because I love BA 9 1/2. I was told if you want to be a distributor your are required to buy a minimum of 35K pounds,