Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 pressure signs

Squirrel45

Hi Guys, 

I am trying a new load and was wondering if you guys think these primers look okay. The load I am using is unpublished so I would not like to share in the forum just in case someone reads this out of context . However in experimenting the cases come out easy and show no signs of pressure in that regard. 

Thanks

Squirrel

IMG_20201206_173437401 (1).jpg

reading goat entrails and tea leaves would be  as accurate.  IMO reading primers for "signs" is like reading an old cars idiot light, comes on righttttttttt  as the engine locks up. 

For me I put more faith in actual measured warning signs like increase in  spreads in SD,  velocity spikes,  or velocity plateaus as you increase charge. Although I generally have no use for pushing envelopes. I go to another caliber or powder.

Far as your loads, what size bullets are you using ? I am gonna add some of these to my next order to try out. Although I have been pretty pleased with 180 gr flat noses, at 800 fps loaded with fairly fast powder in 357 cases.

Have any bulged cases or barrel leading from swaged bullets in the 357 cases ?

seen some published data for true blue and AA9, not sure how density of AA9 compares to 2400,,, wonder if you will run out of room with 2400

357 diameter. 

Sd of 5 

Ex. Spread 8

Avg vel 769

Clean case

Easy ejection

I have gone hotter up to 800+ but backed down. For safety

There is still a good amount of space case left. I know of people using over ten grains of 2400 with no issues. Also blue dot is popular. I'm just trying to use what I have.

If I had some 9, that would be the powder of choice. Iv run these 230s w 38 spl.with published data . Nice load

Edited by Squirrel45