Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can a shooter shoot the same division twice in the same match?

Sandbagger123

we often have matches that due to the current events are split into am/pm squads. its one match, just split times.  i have seen a couple of times that a person shoots both am/pm in the same division.   i always thought this is not proper. you can shoot the match twice, but it has to be in another division

So can a shooter shoot the same match twice in the same division?

I've done it. I just register as Rowdy1 and Rowdy2 or similar. At split matches or where they don't care I do it all the time. Normally MD's like it because if I'm shooting the same division I'm theoretically not wasting time switching belts and gear and stuff, thus helping tape and set a bit less if making those kinds of changes versus just staying same/same.

There may be a feeling of it not being competitive equity but most of the time I see it, the second run is clearly delineated. That way people can assuage themselves with "oh, he only did better because it was his second run," true or not.

Edited by rowdyb

4 hours ago, nasty618 said:

See rules 6.2.4 and 6.2.4.1

^^This. Can't shoot same division, but can shoot same equipment and select a different division that the equipment complies with It's on the RO/ARO to make sure the correct division is used first every stage, especially when the squad rotation puts the second entry before the first entry.

color me a rule breaker then, but done with the consent of different matches I've shot. my days of paying double entry fees and shooting twice the ammo are gone for a while that's for sure. going through old match results it looks like I've done it probably 3 times a year 2015 to 2018. so not often and not recently.

Even though I agree it's not permitted (for score), there's been bunch of times I wished I could shoot a match over.

Not necessarily because I messed up the first attempt, but more to try some different approaches/strategies. Our local designers are famous for presenting stages with many solutions. 

16 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

multiple

There are varieties of fruit on the table - bananas, oranges, apples, etc. and I'm allowed to eat multiple items.  If I eat an apple and an orange - I ate multiple fruits. If I eat two apples, did I eat multiple fruits or just one?

7 hours ago, nasty618 said:

There are varieties of fruit on the table - bananas, oranges, apples, etc. and I'm allowed to eat multiple items.  If I eat an apple and an orange - I ate multiple fruits. If I eat two apples, did I eat multiple fruits or just one?

If I punch you in the face with a left jab and then a right hook, I hit you twice, but if I punch you in the face with two right jabs, I only hit you once? Is that what you are saying?

1 hour ago, broadside72 said:

If I punch you in the face with a left jab and then a right hook, I hit you twice, but if I punch you in the face with two right jabs, I only hit you once? Is that what you are saying?

I thought i said what i wanted to say... but if your way helps you grasp the idea better - then you said it too.

At our club we shoot ICORE on Saturday and USPSA on Sunday on the 2nd weekend of the month and that is not an issue, however on the 4th weekend we shoot USPSA on Saturday and then USPSA on Sunday with both days rolled in to one match. You can sign up and shoot the same gun or division on either day, but we only allow you to shoot one gun per day. Now the way I see this since these are Level 1 matches and uspsa does not say anything and charges us for everyone on both days, it "must" be legal wouldn't you think? LOL

Edited by mchapman

On 12/6/2020 at 4:34 AM, nasty618 said:

See rules 6.2.4 and 6.2.4.1

seems to be pretty clear that a person can shoot multiple divisions in a match, but if they shoot the same division twice in the same match , the second score is not recognized.    the question could be what does not recognized mean? does  it mean that persons second score is separated from the match?  

I agree that shooting the same division for score twice should not be allowed.  And I think the intent of the rule is just that... But using the logic above then one could say that "multiple" does not mean "different"... and then things become a bit muddy.  In other words perhaps this is another case where a rule could be worded differently to avoid this exact situation. 

Can’t shoot for score (some level 1 exceptions apply), but overall who cares? It’s like shooting a classifier a few times - maybe it’s not proper, but nobody has ever won a major match by shooting classifiers or by shooting multiple divisions....