Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does it take to change an Shadow 2 OR into an orange level gun?

jejb

I'm am in the market for my first CZ and am focused on a Shadow 2. The closest I have now is a Sig P320 X-5 (not a Legion). I really like the X5, but have read so much good about the Shadow 2, that I want to get one to see for myself. I've been researching the S2's, and it's a bit confusing with all of the models and sub-models. I think I've simplified the choices a bit as a requirement is an optic mount. So you'd think, no brainer, blue S2OR, right? And that is the way I'm leaning. But I hate to leave features on the table. I'm also interested in the SA/DA S2 orange. But then I have to pay to have an optic cut put in the slide, and I really hate to do that to a new gun anyway. I would if there is some compelling reason, though.

Which brings me back to the subject question. If I get an S2OR, what are all the differences from it to the orange model (besides the optic mount, of course), and how much would it take to bring the OR up to that level? Or is that even possible? If I'm going to eventually spend as much or more upgrading the OR just to reach to orange level, I'd need to take another look at cutting the orange guns slide, I guess.

Thanks for any insight.

"the biggest addition on the Orange is a barrel bushing that increases slide-to-barrel fit, resulting in tighter groups. Not as obvious is a factory-tuned trigger with short reset and the hand-fitting of the slide and frame." from the CZ custom site.

7 hours ago, galt11 said:

"the biggest addition on the Orange is a barrel bushing that increases slide-to-barrel fit, resulting in tighter groups. Not as obvious is a factory-tuned trigger with short reset and the hand-fitting of the slide and frame." from the CZ custom site.

Thanks. So if those are the upgrades, can they be duplicated on the S2OR (except the hand fitting of the slide), and for what cost? And do any of them make a big difference?

I've handled an blue SA and an orange SA/DA S2 in stores. Both triggers in SA mode seemed very nice. Hard to tell the difference from dry firing. But it could well be more noticeable in live fire. I don't know anyone that owns either gun, so can't range test them before buying.

An additional question about the OR. Do they come with plates, or do you have to buy them separately? Looks like they are not included, but just confirming that.

IIRC, when I priced everything out to make an orange and a regular non optic blue the same it was within a couple hundred dollars.  For me it was worth going to the orange at that point.  When you add in the cuts for the optic though, that makes it more expensive.

I bought a shadow 2

i bought all the hop up parts from Cajun gun works. 
I polished the gun and parts in friction areas.

with your eyes closed you’d be very hard pressed to find a difference between an orange and mine 

On 11/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, rowdyb said:

Get a shadow 2 optic ready. Have cz custom install a bushing and do a trigger job. Then you essentially have a shadow 2 orange optic ready minus the orange colored accents

That does probably make the most sense. But in watching some YT vids on the Orange, it seems a lot more internal polishing and hand fitting takes place than the OR version has. All of those little touches might be harder/more expensive to duplicate.

Another question. What are all the differences between the TSO Orange the non-TSO model? I know SA vs SA/DA, different trigger shape and no accubushing. Are there other differences? I see some say the TSO is an upgrade over the normal Orange, but it's cheaper and seems to not have as many features, so confusing.

Appreciate the input so for. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, jejb said:

I guess I don't know the answer. Is the regular Shadow 2 Orange called a TS?

No, Tactical Sport Orange and Shadow 2 are two different platforms. Similar built on same size frames but different in many ways. The regular TS is the discontinued Tactical Sport

31 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

You mean TSO vs TS? off the top of my head: reduced grips, better checkering, front sight FO, higher beaver tail and undercut trigger guard, better finish, alum grips, mostly cosmetics

The TSO now comes with the shadow 2 style mag release, Shadow 2 style safety and a drilled and tapped thumb rest.

TS is the single action gun for Limited in 40 or other games in 9. It is not a Shadow 2 and not for use in Prod or CO.

Orange guns, not matter if SP01, Shadow 2 or Tac Sport do get more attention from a senior worker on the line and have much more hand fitting and selection of parts.

So other than a senior assembly guy going through a parts bin for a really nice slide to frame fit I honestly feel you lose nothing by getting a OR gun if you want to shoot both CO and Prod and then having CZC put in a bushing, trigger job, hammer, and disco and so on. And you don't then have to deal with all the gaudy orange colored bits.

I have had a SP01 Orange, TS Orange and shot a friends Shadow 2 orange a fair bit. I like them. But a great aftermarket gun can be as good if not better.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a difference between the regular S2 and the S2 Orange.  The S2 Orange is hand fitted and with a custom built barrel bushing.  Regular S2 is not~  There's a difference!  However, you can get a regular S2, get the 10X bushing from CGW, plus upgraded trigger parts, etc and you'll be good to go.  I have the regular S2 with the 10X bushing, Cajunized, etc and I also have the S2 Orange.  The S2 Orange shoots tighter groups but honestly speaking the regular S2 Blue does very well too.  

Also consider this.  If you ever decide to sell your pistol down the line what holds more value???  A regular S2 blue with upgraded components or a S2 Orange Cajunized? Between my standard S2 and the Orange the Orange is slightly heavier by a few ounces than the standard S2.  Do yourself a favor buy what you can afford and call it a day 😉

Why is nobody talking about the hand fitted slide in de Orange? Apart from the barrel bushing you can get the trigger as good as you want with aftermarket parts but you can get the slide fit any better.

7 hours ago, Hansb57 said:

Why is nobody talking about the hand fitted slide in de Orange? Apart from the barrel bushing you can get the trigger as good as you want with aftermarket parts but you can get the slide fit any better.

It has been mentioned, but I agree it is one that is hard to put in after the fact. The Orange slide is not the same as the Blue either. The front sight is pinned on the blue but screwed down on the orange. I think the reason for that the pinned slides can crack when opened up enough for the orange type bushing.

I bought the Orange. Enjoying shooting it. CZ customer service is not in the same zipcode of what I'm used to with Sig, but it is what it is. I'll be sending the slide off to be milled for an optic. I'm on CGW's waiting list for that.