Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder question?

Davecoff13

What is the normal practice for when you are running out of powder in one jug and must switch to another? Same brand an kind obviously but purchased at different times so different lot numbers etc. Do you pour the new on top of the old? Is it okay to mix the two from a few years apart? Or do you run the old down as far as you can getting accurate charges and toss the last tiny bit?

Toss powder!? Never. I just dump what's left of the old into the new. I never let the powder run down to less than a full reservoir. Too little can change your powder throws due to less gravity flow. You can re chrono your loads just to make sure that there are no changes.

5 minutes ago, Davecoff13 said:

Thanks everyone for the responses, never had to deal with it before and wasn’t sure how to treat it. Or if there was something specific I should do. 

BUT, switching lot numbers can be tricky. If you are not shooting games with power factor requirement it’s probably ok to just pour new on top of the old.

If loading competition loads, even with same lot numbers, I always empty the old powder when it gets toward the empty side in the hopper and set it aside. Then load new Powder and make some ammo and CHRONO just to be sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

If their close to the same age I just pour into the new jug. If there’s several years difference I’ll run the old stuff down as much as I can then pour into the new jug. If your working with a half a measure in a 8# jug it doesn’t much matter. 
Shaken not stirred. 😃

Edited by Farmer

If someone believes new powder varies from old, they would use up all the old, throw out the residual, and re-work the load. I consider it as safe to blend the old with the new then to just leap into a new lot without adjusting load.