Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any manufacturers still make a tungsten guide rod for XDm?

JGus

4 hours ago, RIIID said:

Joel,

I'll look to see if I've got one.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I'd appreciate it.  I've got a few of your all tungsten guide rods, but could use one more.

On 11/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Sarge said:

I melted lead into my 5.25 rod. Plenty heavy and practically free

Exactly what I did on mine years ago. Don't remember what weight i ended up with. I just preheated the guide rod. plugged the end and filled it up. Worked awesome.

Canyon Creek was the only manufacture who made a solid tungsten guide rod for the XD/m. There was a replacement for the factory sized rod 3/8" diameter in two different lengths one was factory length and the second one was made for the XD Tactical that would also worked for the 5.25 which was around 5 ounces in weight. A 5/16" diameter rod was developed to use 1911 recoil springs which was around 3.25 ounces. There was also rods for for the XD Tactical and Service models. Manufacture was suspended due to lack of demand.

Rich 

22 hours ago, RIIID said:

Canyon Creek was the only manufacture who made a solid tungsten guide rod for the XD/m. There was a replacement for the factory sized rod 3/8" diameter in two different lengths one was factory length and the second one was made for the XD Tactical that would also worked for the 5.25 which was around 5 ounces in weight. A 5/16" diameter rod was developed to use 1911 recoil springs which was around 3.25 ounces. There was also rods for for the XD Tactical and Service models. Manufacture was suspended due to lack of demand.

Rich 

That Canyon Creek guy did great work and is a fine person, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

like sarge, I melted some old wheel weights and poured the lead into the hollow guide rod- was free. The weight is almost the same as a tungsten insert and a lot cheaper. Works great to reduce muzzle flip.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2020 at 3:48 AM, verla said:

like sarge, I melted some old wheel weights and poured the lead into the hollow guide rod- was free. The weight is almost the same as a tungsten insert and a lot cheaper. Works great to reduce muzzle flip.

with tungsten being 1.7x as dense as lead I would bet the weight is a fair bit different, it is possible that you were very close to the weight of the old inserts Springer made, they were shorter and lighter than the new ones to keep production guns from going over the old weight limit. 

just pointing this out for others who may see the thread, I'm 100% cool with free and good enough

The melting of the wheel weights poured in the hollow guide rod work great to reduce muzzle flip in my XDM 9mm. Do not have a tungsten guide rod to compare it to at this time. Springer precision may have made new tungsten guide rods, do not know. If they do someone may make the comparison RE muzzle flip- lead filled vs tungsten.

• 3 months later...