Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping Primers?

konkapot

Again just a comment - I find it odd that anyone can ship ammo so long as you identify the package contents and follow the required labeling guidelines but when it comes to primers the regulations are so much more strict.  Not trying to generate an argument just one of those things that seems odd.   

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Again just a comment - I find it odd that anyone can ship ammo so long as you identify the package contents and follow the required labeling guidelines but when it comes to primers the regulations are so much more strict.  Not trying to generate an argument just one of those things that seems odd.   

I think I've see before that primed cases fall under the same guidelines as ammo. I could be wrong but I feel like I've seen that before.

9 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I think I've see before that primed cases fall under the same guidelines as ammo. I could be wrong but I feel like I've seen that before.

thats correct.  I asked UPS about this the other day and the counter clerk said it was the same as "blanks" since there is no projectile.  It falls under cartridges, small arms shipping regs which is the same as loaded ammo.

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

I think the difference originates in how the package would respond to a fire, vehicular or warehouse.  Ammo is pretty stable and requires a lot of sustained heat cook off. Primers and powder will burn much more readily and exacerbate the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if shipping warehouses have special storage for hazmat labeled items and regulations on how much can be on site overnight.

I'm speculating as chemist who deals with a lot of hazmat materials going and coming from the lab. We have pretty strict regulations to follow wrt to storage and quantities.

If you read the history of shipping primers and powder it's all about the money.  Hazmat fee over the years has made UPS and now FedEx millions of dollars.  This goes back to the 1920's with Railway Express Agency.  The Complete Guide to Handloading (1937) by Mr.  Sharpe has some of the history.

59 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

According to a truck driver I talked with, from his perspective the only difference between shipping hazmat and non-hazmat is signage!  

Yup, ship on the same truck...Have seen it a few times when stuff arrives at my employer (chemical company...).

from postal service website, I underlined the two, I guess primers would fall under explosives

Domestically Prohibited Items

These items may not be sent in U.S. mail:

• Air Bags
  • Ammunition
  • Explosives
  • Gasoline
  • Marijuana (medical or otherwise)

8 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

from postal service website, I underlined the two, I guess primers would fall under explosives

Domestically Prohibited Items

These items may not be sent in U.S. mail:

• Air Bags
  • Ammunition
  • Explosives
  • Gasoline
  • Marijuana (medical or otherwise)

If you siphon the postal carriers truck would the guy who put it in his truck get in trouble or both of you?

2 hours ago, mvmojo said:

According to a truck driver I talked with, from his perspective the only difference between shipping hazmat and non-hazmat is signage!  

yes, HAZMAT and non HAZMAT stuff ship on the same truck and are even on the same paperwork but that isn't the cost factor. The whole system is expensive, all the paperwork for just the HAZMAT items, the training and extra insurance plus the extra scrutiny the company and drivers go through on a daily basis. There are Federal regulations and regular inspections of the papers and facilities to put up with too. Permits in almost every state that you operate in are required too. I have to have a FBI background check whenever I renew my drivers license and I have to pay for that. 

If you look on Gunbroker and see all these private parties selling powder and primers, there has to be a majority of that shipped by the USPS in priority mail packages unknown to the USPS and we all know how bad some of the packages we receive are handled when we get them.