Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr for Major open guns?

chgofirefighter

Would like to get some feedback on 147gr bullets being used for 9mm Major.  I've loaded over 15k 124gr JHP PD bullets, however, some major pro shooters are now using 147 instead of 124gr bullets. Don't have any experience with heavier grain weights but I'm curious to learn more.  Feedback would be appreciated, thanks! 

My go to grains are 124/125gr for both minor and major loads~  Lastly, I am using a PT Honcho open gun... 

The rule of thumb is the heavier bullet the lower the velocity, the lower the velocity the lower powder charge, the lower powder charge the lass gasses to work the comp... Of course, it's just a rule of thumb and the only way to know is to try it out. Load a batch of 147s and measure how flat they shoot. 

32 minutes ago, IVC said:

The rule of thumb is the heavier bullet the lower the velocity, the lower the velocity the lower powder charge, the lower powder charge the lass gasses to work the comp... Of course, it's just a rule of thumb and the only way to know is to try it out. Load a batch of 147s and measure how flat they shoot. 

Yes, you're correct... However, I am looking for some feedback to try out "if" I decide to load a few rounds for testing purposes~  

5 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

Yes, you're correct... However, I am looking for some feedback to try out "if" I decide to load a few rounds for testing purposes~  

So, I had the same thoughts a month ago, so I loaded some 147gr and a buddy loaded some 160gr.. yes 160gr..😆 I was really hoping it would make a difference for the better.

I loaded with shooters world Major pistol powder which is about as slow burn as you can get. The heavy loads definitely had a different feel. Recoil impulse was  like shooting a steel frame minor gun. The dot had much more rise than my standard 125gr bullet.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is oal. My barrels can handle 1.20 oal. Shortest I could load the 147gr was 1.18oal

160gr was 1.19oal

That was to have zero to minimal powder compaction.

End result for my buddy and myself was we are sticking with the 125gr.

Note that all bullets tested are coated.

3 minutes ago, je85 said:

So, I had the same thoughts a month ago, so I loaded some 147gr and a buddy loaded some 160gr.. yes 160gr..😆 I was really hoping it would make a difference for the better.

I loaded with shooters world Major pistol powder which is about as slow burn as you can get. The heavy loads definitely had a different feel. Recoil impulse was  like shooting a steel frame minor gun. The dot had much more rise than my standard 125gr bullet.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is oal. My barrels can handle 1.20 oal. Shortest I could load the 147gr was 1.18oal

160gr was 1.19oal

That was to have zero to minimal powder compaction.

End result for my buddy and myself was we are sticking with the 125gr.

Note that all bullets tested are coated.

Interesting, coated bullets for testing on a Major open gun?  Hmm... Ingriguing...  FMJ/JHP for me~  I've tried blue bullets 125grs but I'm afraid of build up so... I stick with what most use~ Which coated bullets are you using?  Also, any issues? Also, what major open gun is being used? 

Edited by chgofirefighter
added info

6 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

Interesting, coated bullets for testing on a Major open gun?  Hmm... Ingriguing...  FMJ/JHP for me~  I've tried blue bullets 125grs but I'm afraid of build up so... I stick with what most use~ Which coated bullets are you using?  Also, any issues? Also, what major open gun is being used? 

Actually, FMJs will have more buildup because of the open/exposed lead on the base of the bullet. You just have to be careful not to damage the coating on a coated bullet while reloading to avoid exposing the lead.

I use 125 Gr Blue Bullets for practice and JHP from PD for match ammo.

Ive loaded 147 blues for major in my old Atlas, and my current Limcats. They did work well, no build up at all.  I have since moved to the 124 JHP for the extra gas.  Dot movement is noticably better with the 124s.  As a test, I randomly grab other shooters who do not shoot open, and have them blind test the ammo for felt recoil and dot movement, and the 124s win every time. 

1 hour ago, chgofirefighter said:

I've been shooting lead put of my open gun for the entire year so far and no lead fowling or build up. I have an ultrasonic cleaner but I only clean it once every ten matches or so

I was given some 147gr open major loads by a local guy that worked up a load for an open Sig X5 Legion.  I tried them in my Carne with poppel holes and 2 port comp.  Dot completely left the glass on recoil.  Very jumpy.  With my normal loads of 124gr the dot moves straight up and down using about half the glass overall.  The 147gr made it look like the dot was doing a figure 8 with the dot leaving the glass at the top and bottom.

I love coated bullets.

I have had no problems with build up in the last 2 years.

Normally I use blue bullets but since the whole delay order issues, I've moved on to a few others.

When I did testing for the heavy bullets it was in my middie no popples and my own designed and made comp. My buddys was a middie no popples and a binary eng 3 port comp.

Next up is to go the opposite direction and try some 115gr

I created and tested a load of 147 grain berry plated or zero JHP over 8.0 grains of Major Pistol loaded at 1.191. Made 172 PF. I really like the way the round performed and shot. Felt softer in the hands but also had no problems tracking the dot. Watching slow motion videos the gun looked just as flat as my old 125 grain loads. I went this route for gun longevity. 

I tried the same experiment just last week.  My comp has three large up ports and two 3/16" poppels.  It needs a significant amount of gas to stay flat.  A 147 at 172 PF had significantly more dot rise than my standard 115 at 169 PF major load.  124 major loads are a lot closer to the 115, but still the dot rises more.  I'm sticking with 10.2gr MP under a 115 HAP.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:06 AM, Rambo329 said:

I created and tested a load of 147 grain berry plated or zero JHP over 8.0 grains of Major Pistol loaded at 1.191. Made 172 PF. I really like the way the round performed and shot. Felt softer in the hands but also had no problems tracking the dot. Watching slow motion videos the gun looked just as flat as my old 125 grain loads. I went this route for gun longevity. 

Interesting~  Thanks!  I may experiment with a few rounds and try it out.  I have Evergrlades 147gr for Open Major, they don't even make PF!~ 156PF tops on my PT Honcho Open setup and it doesn't track the dot well either but I think Everglades is using Autocomp powder

11 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Interesting~  Thanks!  I may experiment with a few rounds and try it out.  I have Evergrlades 147gr for Open Major, they don't even make PF!~ 156PF tops on my PT Honcho Open setup and it doesn't track the dot well either but I think Everglades is using Autocomp powder

I have a 100ct box of Everglades 147s that you can use to try to work up a load for major if you want.  My initial trial with them doesn't give me much confidence that I would be successful in finding a load for my guns.

I used a 158 grain bullet in a 9x23 case and it was very very soft at major factor. There was more lift in the dot but it still returned. The accuracy was excellent.

However all of this was using an OAL of 1.25

I think that a 9mm major load using the same bullet with the same oal and massive throating could be possible. This would be a possibility if the objective was to use cheaper 9x19 cases instead of expensive 9x23 or 38SC.

Funny timing of this thread as I just scored a case of Montana Gold 147 CMJ (with covered base), so I guess I'll be finding a use for them :-). Whether they end up in the open gun (unlikely), PCC (also unlikely, but possible), CO/Production (most likely scenario), it's all I could get at the moment and it was pure luck since as soon as I ordered it was again out of stock. The price was not bad, $352 for 3,000, so it's less than 12c/round, pandemic pricing.

Strange times we live in...